yoda7232

Help choosing parts for robot

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:41 am

Hello, I am designing a robot, but I’m running into trouble when it comes to picking out the hardware. My current design requires 7-9 motors, 1-2 servos, 2 cameras and 1 red-dot sight, or something that works similar to or what to use a red-dot.
I plan on using a raspberry pi 3B+. I know I need an external power supply, but that’s all I really know. Anyone have a good suggestion for everything I would need to get this running?

OutoftheBOTS

Re: Help choosing parts for robot

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 am

My current design requires 7-9 motors, 1-2 servos, 2 cameras and 1 red-dot sight, or something that works similar to or what to use a red-dot.
Wow that is a big list.

Have you ever built robots before if not you might want to start with a smaller design and make it work first before going so big.

First problem I see is how do you intend to control all of these peripherals?? Just using a basic H-bridge for the motors will require a min of 2 GPIO pins per motor or maybe your intending to use a I2C motor controller that has a select able address?? Servos also require a signal line for each servo so this will require another 2 GPIO pins unless your goign to use and external servo driver?? What cameras do you intend to use and how do you intend to talk to them??

You might need to look at using an Ardunio type board to do some of the work and the RPi to be a master
Last edited by OutoftheBOTS on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Traveler

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:37 am

Anyone have a good suggestion for everything I would need to get this running?
Yes. Start on something simpler and more realistic. I'd suggest you spend some time working on an workable project outline first. It's unrealistic for you to expect people to give you "suggestions for everything" when you don't have coherent building plan to begin with.

Good luck.
Last edited by The Traveler on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

yoda7232

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:39 am

Yeah, the aurduino board is a really good idea.
And I plan on building it in stages, with just basic movement first. And then slowly building up and up, but I also don’t want to waste the resources of building a robot that won’t be able to become my plan at sometime, so I want to keep my final design in mind as I look into and buy parts/hardware.

Arjan

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:44 am

No need to switch to Arduino. The Raspberry Pi is a great platform for controlling devices.

Check Adafruit for servo solutions -> https://www.adafruit.com/?q=servo

There is also a great stepper motor board here -> https://roboteurs.com/products/slushengine
http://www.raspberrypi-dmx.org/
Open Source DMX/RDM/MIDI/OSC/Art-Net/sACN solutions

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”