dcaccount

Software to control a watering system

Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:35 pm

Hello,

A have a watering system made of a few electrical valves that once opened through a 24VAC signal give water to the different garden areas.

I would like to control them through my Rpi3 and of course a relay board.

Is there a sotware made for Raspberry that would allow me to control them via a GUI?

Thanks for helping,
Dan

klricks

Re: Software to control a watering system

Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Since there are infinite possibilities on the hardware side then I would not expect to find any software for this unless someone has made a product or tutorial which includes both hardware (relays) and software. Give Google a go on this.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

PhatFil

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:11 pm

check out github projects and you might find something close? if no joy NodeRed might be a good diy starting point, its based on a drag n drop gui with 'nodes' dedicated to tasks, and a dashboard editor to generate a gui web interface too, with pi gpio node set ready to go so you can just wire up your relays and any sensors and schedule timed waterings or respond to sensor input.

Google/search for 'Pete Scargills Christmas script' for a comprehensive script to install node red web servers and a shed load of resources/settings saving hours of cut n pasteing apt, pip, npm install commands and responding to the 'Are you sures'... its a year or 2 old now so an apt-get update would be prudent post running.

dcaccount

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Thanks!

squiregeek

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:55 pm

You might check opensprinkler.com. They started with RPi controllers and have branched out. You'll find a wealth of information on the open source project.

I installed one a few years ago as a replacement for an existing controller. Worked well from the start and my wife loved being able to program and control it from her phone.

dcaccount

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:11 am

squiregeek wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:55 pm
You might check opensprinkler.com. They started with RPi controllers and have branched out. You'll find a wealth of information on the open source project.

I installed one a few years ago as a replacement for an existing controller. Worked well from the start and my wife loved being able to program and control it from her phone.
Thanks for this great information.
Have you used their board or just the software? Please advise on your configuration.

TudorJ

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:36 pm

I use OpenSprinkler with a PI2, had it for over two years with no trouble. The interface on an iPad and iPhone are very good apps, which make it very easy to use. All I had to do was buy a 24v transformer, as it powers the OpenSprinkler board with PI attached and all the valves.

ranpitime

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi,
you could use CODESYS (plc on the PI) and for example a PiFace and control your pumps with that.
Sure Visualisation by Android phone /IPhone is possible with that too.
How to start:
https://faq.codesys.com/display/CDSFAQ/Raspberry+-+FAQ
This is just one of many options you have another would be to use an ethercat slave or any other fieldbus... to control the valves which then could be
distributed in the whole house.
BR
ranpitime
Attachments
CODESYS_PIFACE.jpg
CODESYS_PIFACE.jpg (114.48 KiB) Viewed 789 times

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”