btidey

Re: Home temperature monitoring

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:27 am

paulthbrit wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:12 am
Status Update:

All the hardware I ordered arrived today. So far I have the ESP8266 module running, connected to a DHT11 and have uploaded several test programs to flash and LED and verify WiFi operation. That was easy. The Raspberry Pi is loaded with Debian, the Arduino IDE and mono in preparation for installation of EasyIoT. That is where things stopped.

I find the support information for Easy IoT very poor and not a lot of good tutorials or information in the IoT-Playground forums. I registered for an account five hours ago, but am waiting for the confirmation email so I cannot post a question there.

I downloaded the Easy IoT for Raspberry and the instructions say that a .img file should be created when it is unzipped, but there are no .img files and I do not know what files need to be loaded on the Pi or where to load them. When I started I thought that loading EasyIoT would be a simple matter of doing a 'sudo apt-get Easy IoT' but it does not appear to be that simple.

I'll work it out and report back.

Paul
Yes. The easyIOT support forums are not great but I didn't have any real trouble installing. However, I avoided the image method and used the server install instructions at https://iot-playground.com/blog/2-uncat ... stallation which worked fine. That gets it going and you then have to separately follow the instructions to make it start automatically at boot time https://iot-playground.com/blog/2-uncat ... as-service

paulthbrit

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:01 am

I am making slow progress with this. Easy IoT server is running on the Raspberry Pi and I can access the web page from another computer or iPad and add the sensor. However somewhere along the line the data connection is being lost and the dashboard is not displaying the temperature.

When I run the EasyIoT server from the RPi I get the following which I need help interpreting to know if the temperature readings are being received OK from the ESP8266.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0dv0RvYHNI6uW3kd2

Does this look OK? I do not see any errors but the dashboard data isn't being updated.

Paul

hunty1980

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Paul - I can't comment on EasyIOT, but I've been using Node-Red (pre-installed on Stretch) and can't praise it enough - it's really easy to install and use. There's also a large community of users that have been a huge help to me https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/node-red

I've only been using a few weeks and already used it to automated the turn on/off lights around the house, control my central heating, push temperature data of my rooms to a database and display Min/Max/Avg. temp on a dashboard.

Loads of beginner videos on Youtube and a nice little tutorial here https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... h-node-red to get you started.

Tip - make sure you install the Dashboard UI Node as I found that wasn't installed as standard. The Dashboard Node allows you to create the Web-Dashboard that allows you to toggle buttons, on/off switches and create the graph dashboards etc.

Good luck

paulthbrit

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks. I finally got EasyIoT working and am evaluating it. I'll move to Node-Red if I don't make progress. I think I looked at it last week but it has a fee associated with its use?

Paul

hunty1980

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:38 pm

paulthbrit wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:35 pm
I think I looked at it last week but it has a fee associated with its use?

Paul
Node-Red = Free

Alex Konshin

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:37 am

To be honest I didn't read all posts in this thread but as I can see my solution is very different and relatively easy to setup. Basically it does not require any wiring in my house. It works already for more than 9 months and I have not observed any issues yet.
I think somebody may find it interesting.

I monitor temperatures and humidity in my house rooms, in garage, in dirty room and on backyard. I have 8 sensors Ambient Weather F007TH and 1 sensor AcuRite 00592TXR/06002RM. Each sensor costs about 10..13 USD.

I use my own driver and utility to receive data from sensors over RF 433MHz transmission.
Drivers and utility are here:
https://github.com/alex-konshin/f007th-rpi
https://github.com/alex-konshin/gpio-ts
Utility may support more than 8 sensors Ambient Weather F007TH because it can distinguish rolling codes.

The utility may print data on console or send it on some REST server. But in my own setup it sends data to InfluxDB server. I use Grafana to visualize data. Currently InfluxDB and Grafana servers are run on another Linux server but before they ran on Intel NUC with Windows. I think they may run on Raspberry Pi as well but I don't want to put more load on this system when I have other more powerful server at my house.

Here is an example of graph drew by Grafana in real time:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k4eMoG ... 4yq6j/view

paulthbrit

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:00 am

This looks good. I hadn't considered using RF to communicate. I will be looking at this.

I currently have a couple of ESP8266 WiFi modules with DHT-22 temp/humidity sensors that are sending results to the RasperryPi ZeroW which is running Easy IoT. I can connect to that from other computers. The major issue I am having is my lack of experience in programming. Even downloading code from GIThub often results in compile errors on the Arduino IDE I am using due to missing or incompatible versions of header files.

Its a slow process (for me) to work through these problems but I am getting there.

Paul

erre

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:54 am

Hi, Paul,

Your project looks very interesting and I'd be interested in hearing more and replicating it.

Would it be possible to get a summary of your current best setup (hardware and software) ?

Thank you!

Erre

paulthbrit

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi - my current configuration is the following:
- Raspberry Pi zero Wireless running EasyIoT as a web server
- Two ESP8266 Adafruit Huzzah break-outs
- Various OneWire, DHT-11 and DHT-22 sensors to measure humidity & temperature

The ESP8266 is programmed with the Arduino IDE and receives temperature and humidity from the sensors. This data is then transmitted over WiFi to the Raspberry Pi where it can be accessed remotely and displayed graphically. At the current time I am trying to get the battery monitoring and reporting working so the EasyIoT dashboard displays the battery health.

Once I have all the software working, I want to focus on putting the ESP8266 into low power 'sleep' mode and having it wake up every five minutes or so to report the temp/humidity. That way I should be able to package the ESP8266 boards and power them with a couple of LiPo batteries with a year or so between charges. I will also be moving away from the Huzzar breakout boards at that time as I believe the basic ESP8266 boards, without the support hardware, will consume less power.

That's it for now. I am struggling with the software - not because it is complex but because I am not a programmer so things are moving slowly at the moment. I will post updates here.

Paul

erre

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Thank you so much Paul! I look forward to hearing more updates!!!

Erre

I.save.lives

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 am

Good morning.

I've been looking to do much the same here in the USA. A number of years ago I worked for Honeywell, for about 15 years, designing and programming temperature control devices, from individual room devices, all the way up to campus level with a hundred buildings, from using assembler to object. When I started, I knew computers, I could write good code, I knew which end of the screwdriver to hold, but I couldn't tell a controller from a thermostat, and telephones required actual dialing.

I was also an instructor and traveled making contacts from NYC to Brisbane.

I'm a current paramedic student, retired LEO, my experiences have been varied. I can see applications for a Pi across those careers as well, and finally the prices for sophisticated devices are down enough to be reasonable for an inventor to dabble.

What I haven't done is my own home via Raspberry pi, so I'm in a new application of skills I thought I would never use again.
I'm writing because it appears some of you are making yourselves crazy over what you may not know is minutae...

Indoor temperature doesn't change very much.

Valves, relays, and control points can become expensive, especially if you wear them out or they get stuck in the opposing state. How does a 10 cent relay become expensive? I saw someone both trying to control heating in a zero °F environment and conserve power as electricity is expensive. If you send out a control change to a valve or relay often, you wear it out. For example, for me to send out a change in position to a valve, the change must be significant, not every time a calculation creates a change. If my valve has a range of 0 to 100, and my calculations based on temperature change means the valve would move from 50.1 to 50.2, I'm not sending that value to my valve to command it to change. I'll wear it out internally, or worse, it'll get stuck and not move at all, and worse than that.. it'll get stuck closed and freeze the room in the campus library above the 300 year old document storage...
... or the boss's office..etc.

For relays, they'll get stuck together. If sufficient power is going through them, they'll weld shut, if its low power, being toggled numerous times a day may produce oxidation between the contacts sufficient to mean ON is not on..the relay is in the correct position, may even show that there is voltage going through it, but minimal current.

If anyone is further interested, I can go further, and also suggest some algorithms, not actual code, to explain and assist further.

TEMPERATURE = SENSOR + OFFSET , for example, for every input.

Now I realize offsets may be unnecessary if they're accounted for elsewhere, and other such things I don't know yet as I'm at the beginnings of my Pi knowledge, but from what I have read in the forums thus far, I stopped being a JAFO and joined to say the above.

I hope the above can save you some grief.

"A wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

NDemberger

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:03 pm

Hey guys,

I have just read through all of this and am planning to do the same. I would like to monitor my basements temperature and humidity. I would like to build some water sensors to detect leaks.

@Paul I am very interested to know how things are currently working for you.

NDemberger

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:29 pm

Hello,

This forum has been very informational so far. I have been trying to figure out a solution like this as well. Paul I am very interested in what you have come up with so far. Is it working? Do you have any screenshots of what I can expect if I run down the same path?

-Nick

icewood

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:02 pm

For those who don't have time or skills to setup everything form scratch, I can recommend monitoring via phone using Meazurem.

It's rather easy to setup and you can use compatible RPi as the gateway to listen the data from remote sensors and upload to the cloud. It works with the RuuviTags mentioned in the first page.

This is how the main view looks like on Android. This is from the last night from my backyard.
winter-fahrenheit.png
winter-fahrenheit.png (66.58 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

PhatFil

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Hi sorry for joining the conversation late, but i think the solution i have found for good looking remote wireless temperature sensors that run for 12months+ on a coin cell or AAA battery. #1 DONT DIY a sensor buy it off the shelf..

fwiw i use both these devices as they use the same coms protocol..

https://zsiti.eu/xiaomi-mijia-hygrother ... pberry-pi/
https://github.com/ThomDietrich/miflora-mqtt-daemon

while i started following the projects to the letter i now use node red and a user contrib Xiaomi BLE node to pull readings from all the devices in a more streamlined way. (No python scripts, just provide the node with the mac addy of the device found using hcitool as detailed in both how-to's )

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”