hunty1980

Re: Beginner - Automation of Outside Christmas Lights

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:21 am

stevend wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:08 pm
hunty1980 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:06 pm
Sorry Steve - the 3 hours in the cold garage has frozen my brain - I'm not 100% sure I understand what I need to do here. I've tried to sketch what I currently have in place (I've left off neutral and ground wires for ease). Can you point me in the right direction on the diagram. The squares with 2 dots are supposed to represent the terminal blocks!!
One side of each relay contact needs to go to the live supply.

Then, ultimately, the other side of the relay contacts needs to go to the two brown wires in your diagram. With a live on that point the corresponding valve opens, and when it opens the pump and boiler turns on.

In the short term, the heating control relay needs to switch the red wire which goes to the hall stat.

You'll also need to disconnect the corresponding wires from the programmer (basically your two relays are replacing the switch contacts which are in the programmer)

Think my brain has thawed and that's making sense - before I implement, can I just confirm my understanding...the no entry sign represents me capping off the wires with a terminal block.

stevend

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Looks good to me.

stevend

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:41 am
It's a shame as a year and a bit ago it was in pieces, what with a same size again extension and full heating and electrics needed.
(It's a bungalow).
At least you can put a lot in the loft space; possibly you might get useful readings with sensors on the ceiling (although the temperatures would, I imagine, be higher). I've got concrete floors downstairs and chipboard flooring covered in plywood upstairs - painful to work with.

hunty1980

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:00 pm

stevend wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:14 pm
Looks good to me.
Great - thank you!! Will fine sometime this week to wire in the relays and report back ;) In the meantime I'll continue putting together the logic, using Node-Red, to turn on/off and basic scheduling.

hunty1980

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:21 pm

Quick update - relay and Raspberry Pi all wired up as instructed.........and.......(drum roll please)........it's working!!! Hooray :D

Huge thanks for all your help Steve - I would have never of done it without you!! I even got time in-between waiting for parts to arrive, to convert my existing wired alarm system to be a smart one. The alarm can be armed/disarmed by an app, voice control and even knows when there's no-one at home, so sets automatically. Anyhow - that's a whole different thread!!

Voice control added for the hot water and heating - now just need to work on implementing a heating schedule.

Phase 2 - incorporate temperature sensors. The old thermostat is still in use, but would value people's opinions on what's possible here. Nice to be able to measure the temperature in different zones - e.g upstairs & downstairs - although I realise, with my current setup, I can't control the heating in two separate zones.

G

stevend

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:01 pm

hunty1980 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:21 pm
Phase 2 - incorporate temperature sensors. The old thermostat is still in use, but would value people's opinions on what's possible here. Nice to be able to measure the temperature in different zones - e.g upstairs & downstairs - although I realise, with my current setup, I can't control the heating in two separate zones.
Fundamentally, as I think you've already realised, you can't really move forward without measuring temperatures around the house. So you need to assess what's possible there, and that depends on the layout of your house and its construction. One option is to use wireless temperature sensors; must be some available, although not used them myself. Or maybe you can establish a small number of data gathering nodes, with the sensors hard-wired to them - that gives the possibility to find some mains power nearby, rather than using batteries. OWB (one-wire bus) sensors are reasonably low-cost; if you go that way, I recommend you get a driver card with a DS2483 on it - should be very much better at driving long wires (and more resistant to interference) than a simple pullup on a GPIO line. I use the DS1825 - it has four 'ID' lines on it which you can configure in hardware, and then read in your software, so if you keep to 16 devices per bus you don't have to worry about the normal OWB addresses, which are 7 bytes. These data gathering nodes (probably Pis, but could be anything) can then talk over WiFi to the main Pi.

And even though its not essential, I suggest you put some sensors on the pipes round your boiler; I found the resulting data very interesting (everything happened so slowly!) and could actually help you diagnose problems.

hunty1980

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:47 pm

stevend wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:01 pm
Fundamentally, as I think you've already realised, you can't really move forward without measuring temperatures around the house. So you need to assess what's possible there, and that depends on the layout of your house and its construction. One option is to use wireless temperature sensors; must be some available, although not used them myself. Or maybe you can establish a small number of data gathering nodes, with the sensors hard-wired to them - that gives the possibility to find some mains power nearby, rather than using batteries. OWB (one-wire bus) sensors are reasonably low-cost; if you go that way, I recommend you get a driver card with a DS2483 on it - should be very much better at driving long wires (and more resistant to interference) than a simple pullup on a GPIO line. I use the DS1825 - it has four 'ID' lines on it which you can configure in hardware, and then read in your software, so if you keep to 16 devices per bus you don't have to worry about the normal OWB addresses, which are 7 bytes. These data gathering nodes (probably Pis, but could be anything) can then talk over WiFi to the main Pi.

And even though its not essential, I suggest you put some sensors on the pipes round your boiler; I found the resulting data very interesting (everything happened so slowly!) and could actually help you diagnose problems.
In terms of the house I live in - 4 bed detached constructed of stone and built c.2000. I like the idea of wireless temperature sensors that run from batteries, but this is not essential as I have plenty of sockets around the house. I also have a couple of Raspberry Pi Zeros going spare, so could potentially use these in some way.

I'll go away and do some reading on the driver card and DS2483, as this is all new territory for me and not sure what these are and how they should be initialised.

hunty1980

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:42 pm

By way of an update (for anyone that cares :lol: )

I purchased a cheap DS18B20 temperature senor and wired that to a spare Raspberry Pi Zero. The DS18B20 is successfully logging the temperature every 30 seconds to my Node-Red Central Server (Raspi 3) and I'm able to graph historic temp; display current temp; min/max/average temperatures etc. I'm keen to move the logging into a DB, as when I restart the Node Red server, the historic data is lost. I need to do some reading on how best to achieve this!!

My ultimate goal is to build a number of wireless, battery powered temperature nodes, which I will position throughout the house to measure temperatures and help me tweak the temp settings of the various TRVs I have around the house. More research needed on what's possible and what's needed.

In addition, I'll also retire my standard thermostat and replace with a wireless node, which will control the boiler.

bensimmo

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:58 pm

I believe someone should come along and mention ESP8266 (think that's the number) ...

ranpitime

Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:47 am

Hi,
an easy way to realize this is with CODESYS and use the PI as plc see this clip here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vsxV-Bj6-4
Use your phone to switch on the lights or even set a timer to set this jop daily.
Sure this could even be the home not only the small model like in this Clip ;-)

Merry xmas
ranpitime

AJStubbsy

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:47 am

Hi, I stumbled across this post because I want to remotely control one of my raspberry pi's GPIOs using MQTT. I'm switching my HASS.IO setup to a RPi 3 but I still want to use my RPi Zero, which is connected to my heating controller. I've documented some of my project and I thought it might be useful to share here.

The python code posted here is exactly what I was looking for, so hopefully some of my project will be useful in return.

Best of luck fellow tinkerers

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/h ... trol/17412

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”