tim101

Use Pi to switch on/off Wii remote buttons

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:02 am

Hi,
I wanted to do a small project with my son with the Pi and had this idea to get the Pi to switch the individual buttons of a Wiimote via a Python program.

I've seen various Youtube videos and web pages that show where to solder the wires for each button and as I understand it, by switching the button's "signal" contact between the ground contact causes the button to be activated.

I'm looking for some guidance on what would be required on a breadboard to do the switching for each button and the required connections to the Pi's GPIO.

Any help much appreciated,
Tim

Ghostbird

Re: Use Pi to switch on/off Wii remote buttons

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:05 pm

A friend of mine recently did something similar.
He automated a remote. To switch the buttons he simply soldered a transistor (emitter ground oriented) across the button pins. These were physical push buttons with pins, so it was very easy. I imagine the Wii only has a contact surface on the PCB, which may make this more difficult
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor ... s_a_switch
The base of the transistor is connected to the automation device (your Pi, he used an Arduino*)
The emitter is connected to ground.
The collector is connected to Vcc (high, signal).

Applying a high signal to the Transistor base, will activate the transistor, which will act as a switch. Thus simulating a buttonpress.

tim101

Re: Use Pi to switch on/off Wii remote buttons

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks Ghostbird, I shall give it a try this weekend.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”