Torcrayth

CamJam Edukit #3 - What is best to power the Pi?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:46 pm

Ok, this isn't really a nasty grumble, just a small one in that having bought two of these kits for my kids to build with over the recent school holiday, I didn't appreciate that you need a separate power source for your Pi
The Pi Hut page for this says all you need to add to the kit is "add your own chassis, Raspberry Pi (any model) & batteries". I really would like it to have highlighted and even suggest a way of powering your Pi - I would've certainly bought any extra bits at the same time as the kits.

Their robots have reached the stage where over the next evening or two we should start to do the coding and whilst this can initially be done while tethered to a power source, the whole point of these things is for them to roam free.

As I'm a complete newbie to all of this who is trying to learn about this stuff with his kids, can anyone suggest the right products to power the kids Pi's with please?

D

mikronauts

Re: CamJam Edukit #3 - What is best to power the Pi?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:41 pm

I recommend using USB power banks with a 2A+ output, and 5000mAh+ capacity, and a 4xAA (or larger) battery pack for the motors.

Here are a couple of my bots using such power:

http://www.mikronauts.com/robot-zoo/elf-2wd-pi-robot/

http://www.mikronauts.com/robot-zoo/hobbit/
Torcrayth wrote:Ok, this isn't really a nasty grumble, just a small one in that having bought two of these kits for my kids to build with over the recent school holiday, I didn't appreciate that you need a separate power source for your Pi
The Pi Hut page for this says all you need to add to the kit is "add your own chassis, Raspberry Pi (any model) & batteries". I really would like it to have highlighted and even suggest a way of powering your Pi - I would've certainly bought any extra bits at the same time as the kits.

Their robots have reached the stage where over the next evening or two we should start to do the coding and whilst this can initially be done while tethered to a power source, the whole point of these things is for them to roam free.

As I'm a complete newbie to all of this who is trying to learn about this stuff with his kids, can anyone suggest the right products to power the kids Pi's with please?

D
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Torcrayth

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Mikronauts.

Many thanks for your reply - I will review them when I get home later tonight.

D

Torcrayth

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:59 pm

I tried to post the following on your Facebook page but it wouldn't allow me...

Liked your page after you answered a query of mine earlier today to do with mobile power supplies for Pi's, especially when building mobile robots.
I've looked at the two links you gave me and whilst I can see what you have done, I'm that much of a novice that I'm not sure how you have done it.
With this in mind, I have a couple of questions which would set me on my way (I hope).

1) You use a Patriot Fuel+ 5200mAh USB battery bank - obviously there are other versions on the market so my question is why have you used 5200mAh as there are many other power ratings.

2) Do you need another circuit board (or something) between the power bank and the Pi (I will be using a Pi3 on one robot and a Pi 0 W on the other...)

Any help you can give this old fart so his kids can complete their projects would be much appreciated

I was then going to post a couple of images of what my kids had built so far - perhaps I'll be able to do that at a later a date on your Facebook page.

Torcrayth

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Afternoon,

Can anyone jump in on this?
1) You use a Patriot Fuel+ 5200mAh USB battery bank - obviously there are other versions on the market so my question is why have you used 5200mAh as there are many other power ratings.

2) Do you need another circuit board (or something) between the power bank and the Pi (I will be using a Pi3 on one robot and a Pi 0 W on the other...)
D

BMS Doug

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:36 pm

Torcrayth wrote:1) You use a Patriot Fuel+ 5200mAh USB battery bank - obviously there are other versions on the market so my question is why have you used 5200mAh as there are many other power ratings.
I don't think that there is a specific reason for that rating, Bill recommended that you use 5000mAh or more, this is one such example. Pick any rating you like, if it's too small then the Pi will run out of power too quickly.
Torcrayth wrote:2) Do you need another circuit board (or something) between the power bank and the Pi (I will be using a Pi3 on one robot and a Pi 0 W on the other...)
No, The Pi needs a steady 5V supply, the USB power bank provides a steady supply, no intermediate board is needed.

Note That Bill isn't powering his robots motors from the USB power banks, the robot motors are supplied by a 4xAA battery box, the USB power bank only powers the Pi.

you can (optionally) use a UBEC connected to your motor battery. Doing so risks power interruptions to the pi when the batteries run low.
Last edited by BMS Doug on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Geeky_Tim

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:37 pm

There are various laws in different countries about the postage of batteries. As the EduKits are sold all over the world (sent from The Pi Hut's warehouse in the UK) it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for them to include batteries with the kits. We therefore recommend that you source your own batteries locally.

Thanks

Tim

BMS Doug

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Geeky_Tim wrote:There are various laws in different countries about the postage of batteries. As the EduKits are sold all over the world (sent from The Pi Hut's warehouse in the UK) it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for them to include batteries with the kits. We therefore recommend that you source your own batteries locally.

Thanks

Tim
Hi Tim,

Torcrayth wasn't complaining about the lack of batteries posted with the kit but rather the fact that it isn't highlighted that a power supply for the Pi itself will be needed.
see the Raspberry Pi Guy's video at 2:48 where he mentions this.
Toycrath is suggesting that the bulleted contents list should include the above.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Torcrayth

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:32 pm

All,
Sorry for not replying - work has gotten in the way of fun.

Many thanks for all your posts, I'm hoping to get this sorted very very soon for my kids.

I'll let you know what I do and how it goes.

Safe Pi'ing.

D

Torcrayth

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:57 pm

OK, one last bit of help ...it would really be nice to know what you think as in which one would you go for, 1, 2, 3 or 4?

1)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solar-Power-Ba ... .5a+output

2)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/jun/Trust-Ur ... +bank+2.5a

3)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kans-Portable- ... +bank+2.5a

4)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc-10000m ... +bank+2.5a

Your help, as always, would be very much appreciated.

T

Torcrayth

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:00 pm

...afternoon..

Does anyone have experience of the above power banks and can vouch for one of them other the others?

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”