ash73

which 4x relay board

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi, I'm building a project to control 3 devices (12V/4A,12V/1.25A and 12V/1A) via a relay board. I want the relays to be HIGH=ACTIVE. I bought a £5 Chinese Keyes Funduino board to prototype with and it actually works ok, but has no CE mark and I'm worried it may be unreliable.

At the other end of the spectrum is ModMyPi's PiOT board, it perhaps has better protection circuits, a bunch of other functionality, and was designed to work with the Pi's 3.3V. The one drawback is the ribbon cable ties up all the GPIO pins:
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/br ... elay-board

Should I continue to use the el cheapo board, or get the PiOT one, or is there something inbetween in terms of quality and cost?

Gert van Loo

Re: which 4x relay board

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:29 pm

Don't worry, if it works keep it.
First: CE is very overrated.
Second: it is suspected that a lot of Chinese goods with CE marks are not CE compliant anyway
so even if it had a mark it is still not guaranteed to be 'good'.

mikronauts

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:16 pm

There is the CE "Low Voltage" self-certification program - under 50V (as I recall) manufacturers can just say it meets CE requirements (presumably after testing it themselves)
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

S0litaire

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Also side note their are 2 different CE markings...

The Official EU "C E" marking "Conformité Européene" which literally means "European Conformity"

And the Chinese "CE" (note lack of space!) marking which just means Chinese Export fees paid.

In the EU mark If you turn the C into an complete circle should just intersect with the "E". The Chinese mark does not it goes through the middle of the "E".
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

BMS Doug

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Don't overlook the possibility of adding another header connector to the ribbon cable to gain access to the unused GPIO pins.

Just crimp another female or male connector onto the ribbon.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Moe

Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 pm

CE marking does not relate to quality or reliability; it means the manufacturer claims compliance with (and therefore legal liablity for) the directives applicable to the product, in this case electrical safety (Low Voltage Directive or General Product Safety Directive), EMC and hazardous materials (RoHS).

In the case of a relay board, the manufacturer would just claim 'designed to meet' for LVD and EMC anyway, because it is intended to be a component of a finished product. For example, a relay board has exposed terminals that could, depending on application, hold potentially lethal voltages so cannot comply with the LVD on its own.

So, basically, don't worry about it unless you want to exchange your finished product for money within the EU, in which case you become 100% liable if it turns out not to comply with about 15,000 pages of product standards.
Submarine communication systems engineer and amateur robot enthusiast.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”