lmcc

Re: Home alarm system retrofit.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:02 pm

joe2act wrote: Glad to see you have suggestion for lmcc. May be hobby developers like you and lmcc can cooperate with each other on the next generation RPi home alarm system?

If RPi is not fast enough in python, maybe alarm system can have an additional RPi. Then, RPi #1 polls one group sensors, and RPi#2 polls another group sensors. Maybe RPi model C can help increase python speed too.
Ermagerd. I disagree entirely. Python on the RPi is plenty fast enough for this application.

I chose to poll the GPIO pins in this application to keep a dead simple pure-Python implementation. (Isn't this a platform for education?) If I wanted event detection with higher precision, I still wouldn't use interrupt driven IO. I'd simply change my sleep(1) statement to sleep(0.5).

With one-second polling, top reports a CPU usage of 0.3%. I will gladly trade for 0.3% of CPU usage for the convenience of shirking interrupts.

If bad guys are burglarizing my house at a rate higher than once per second, I need a sub-machine gun, not interrupt driven IO.

-lmcc

bulletmark

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:38 am

joe2act wrote: C program is faster than python program.
I've been programming professionally in C and C++ for 25 years, and also python for about the last 4 years. Honestly, I use python nearly everywhere now and only touch C/C++ on legacy systems. Python is perfect for an app like this. Performance is a complete non-issue here, and for most applications. It is much easier to use and debug and offers an enormous suite of 3rd party modules which are trivial to install.

joe2act

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:43 pm

lmcc wrote: Python on the RPi is plenty fast enough for this application.
I chose to poll the GPIO pins in this application to keep a dead simple pure-Python implementation. (Isn't this a platform for education?)
I agree with you. Python on the RPi is fast enough for this alarm application. It's good for education too.

I am just trying to encourage discussion. I do not want to provoke any language debate. So, hobbyist developers like you can spend more time and efforts on user friendly system design or new feature development.

Tibedabeeto

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:00 pm

Is this still a work in progress? I have a home alarm system that I never activated as well. This would be a great use of my raspberry pi for monitoring my house with existing equipment. If it is done is there a full tutorial with pics and code to make it work? I went to Ted B Hale blog but cant tell if he is done or not.

Thanks in advanced.

lmcc

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:15 am

Yeah sorry. I've been working on it.

I have some responder/configuration code in progress which does not quite work yet. The current concept includes notification and arming/disarming via email. I was hoping to finish it "real soon now". If there is particular interest i could scale back the alcohol, and scale forth the codings. Give me a few more days.

-lmcc

Tibedabeeto

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:28 am

Take your time, I understand it is the holidays. I just didn't see a post since October so I didn't know if it was done already. Keep up the good work, patiently waiting for a tutorial.
lmcc wrote:Yeah sorry. I've been working on it.

I have some responder/configuration code in progress which does not quite work yet. The current concept includes notification and arming/disarming via email. I was hoping to finish it "real soon now". If there is particular interest i could scale back the alcohol, and scale forth the codings. Give me a few more days.

-lmcc

hostingnuggets

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi there,

Was just reading this very interesting forum post and was thinking about using my Pi with a door sensor to detect when the main door opens and closes (break-in).

For that purpose I was wondering if someone has any good door sensors (e.g. magnetic reed switches or others) to recommend which are easy to use with the Pi? If possible something which is available from farnell.com.

Cheers,
H.N.

zeroecho

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:38 am

I am watching this project with great interest, I've posted what I'm trying to do and would value any input from anyone with experience on the best ways or interfacing with a commercial (in my case, wireless) system!

lmcc

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:10 pm

Well I have a working system now. I started a new discussion thread since they are so cheap.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 37&t=27788

-lmcc

Ol4f

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:27 pm

Very interesting.
I'm about to start building my garden workshop and it's attached storage shed. I am going to have power out to the workshop and will probably put an eithernet cable through too. given the workshop walls will be fully lined, I think I am going to get myself a Pi (not tried using one yet!) and set it up inside the wall, with it set up to do a few things:
1) run an alarm system
2) control the lighting
3) work as a web-surfing device.

I have a feeling that I will need to put a force air cooling system around it, as it will be tucked in near all the insulation, but that it will be worth it. I have never programmed in Python, or in anything other than office Vba for more than 10 years....This may take some time.....

Gadjetnut

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:11 pm

If you are building an alarm system, please check out this website:

http://www.projects.privateeyepi.com/home

They have full instructions on how to create an alarm system with email alerts, web based dashboard to view and control you alarm. No fees.

http://www.privateeyepi.com/image/dashboard.jpg

dauhee

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:57 pm

fantastic stuff. I am on the same journey for home alarm. I have done similar things.

FYI RPi.GPIO now has interrupts.

Any questions just ask.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”