kosmicken

Controlling a network of surveillance cameras with a Pi

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:14 pm

Hello. Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but it seems kind of related to automation so I figured I'd post it here. I'm looking to do exactly what the subject says. When I search "control network surveillance cameras with raspberry pi" and similar phrases, I get plenty of results that show how to turn the Pi+camera module into a security camera, but that's not what I'm looking for. I intend to purchase cameras, and I want to control them with the Pi. The Pi should serve the purpose of the DVR/NVR in a LaView or similar system. Ideally, the software would be able to integrate IP cameras, wired or wireless, from multiple manufacturers; configure recording schedules; configure triggered recording based on motion and other activity; provide live view for one or multiple cameras in the system; have secure remote access; provide settings for local, network, AND cloud storage of recordings; email alerts when user-defined activity is detected; and anything else an NVR in such a system can do. If anyone knows of software than can do this, please let me know! Thanks!

stderr

Re: Controlling a network of surveillance cameras with a Pi

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:30 pm

kosmicken wrote:When I search "control network surveillance cameras with raspberry pi" and similar phrases, I get plenty of results that show how to turn the Pi+camera module into a security camera,
There's nothing special about the pi, it generally runs some version of Linux, most often Raspbian. But the most popular distribution related to it is called Ubuntu, so if you search something like "control surveillance Ubuntu", I bet you get some good hits without a lot of chaff. The one in that search that I've heard of but haven't used is ZoneMinder. I would do the search though and keep an open mind.

kosmicken

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:40 pm

Thanks. That looks promising. And it looks like you can install ZM on Rasbian. I'll have to read up on it when I have some more time.

Pilosopong Tasyo

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:30 am

kosmicken wrote:I intend to purchase cameras, and I want to control them with the Pi. The Pi should serve the purpose of the DVR/NVR in a LaView or similar system. Ideally, the software would be able to integrate IP cameras, wired or wireless, from multiple manufacturers; configure recording schedules; configure triggered recording based on motion and other activity; provide live view for one or multiple cameras in the system; have secure remote access; provide settings for local, network, AND cloud storage of recordings; email alerts when user-defined activity is detected; and anything else an NVR in such a system can do.
Sounds like MotionEyeOS (most, if not all the features you enumerated above).

Screencaps - http://imgur.com/a/CVN88
Give a man a ghoti and he'll eat for a day; teach him how to ghoti and he'll eat for life. Ghoti?! - http://i.imgur.com/mAfBUdi.png
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”