agraco
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:49 am

Build a circuit board

Mon May 02, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi. I am building my first circuit board ...

Project: I would like the RPi to control 5 LED strips, plus 1-2 motion sensors. Each LED strip needs 3 MOSFETs, which means 15 GPIO pins, plus 2 sensors.

Progress so far: Using a breadboard, I have prototyped one of the LED strips with the MOSFETs. I used thermostat wire so that the RPi stays in a central location, but the LED strip is in the room of one of my children.

Challenge: I would like to graduate from a breadboard to a circuit board. I can see myself needing a lot of room on the circuit board so I don't quite know how to get organized.

(1) Is a ribbon cable, connected to a T-Cobbler, and then soldered to a circuit board the only way to join the RPi to the circuit board? I get that using jumper cable is a no-go and that I need a more permanent solution.

(2) Is the T-Cobbler soldered onto the circuit board?

thanks for any tips...

User avatar
Douglas6
Posts: 4778
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:34 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Build a circuit board

Mon May 02, 2016 7:01 pm

A cobbler will take up quite a bit of space on the circuit board. I would use female dupont cables with the other end cut and stripped and soldered to the board. Or solder just as much header as you need to the board and leave the cables intact.

agraco
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:49 am

Re: Build a circuit board

Mon May 02, 2016 7:09 pm

Thank you. my thinking on the female dupont cables is that they are useful for prototyping...Then don't seem to firmly stay on the RPi. And since I will be using 17 GPIO pins, that is a lot of cables to play with.

I have not found a ribbon cable that is male-female and can be pushed into a circuit board. . :/

mthomason
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:28 pm

Re: Build a circuit board

Mon May 02, 2016 8:54 pm

If you want to go with a ribbon cable, just solder one of these to the circuit board to plug the other end of the cable into.

https://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/raspbe ... Gwode3kAZg

User avatar
mikronauts
Posts: 2726
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Build a circuit board

Mon May 02, 2016 11:07 pm

Once you have your circuit fully working on breadboards, transfer it to a permanent prototyping board.

Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/ezaspi/ (can stack on a Pi with 26 pin stacking connector)

http://www.mikronauts.com/proto/ezaspieproto300/ (can stack on a Pi with a 40 pin stacking connector)
agraco wrote:Hi. I am building my first circuit board ...

Project: I would like the RPi to control 5 LED strips, plus 1-2 motion sensors. Each LED strip needs 3 MOSFETs, which means 15 GPIO pins, plus 2 sensors.

Progress so far: Using a breadboard, I have prototyped one of the LED strips with the MOSFETs. I used thermostat wire so that the RPi stays in a central location, but the LED strip is in the room of one of my children.

Challenge: I would like to graduate from a breadboard to a circuit board. I can see myself needing a lot of room on the circuit board so I don't quite know how to get organized.

(1) Is a ribbon cable, connected to a T-Cobbler, and then soldered to a circuit board the only way to join the RPi to the circuit board? I get that using jumper cable is a no-go and that I need a more permanent solution.

(2) Is the T-Cobbler soldered onto the circuit board?

thanks for any tips...
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

User avatar
exartemarte
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: Middle England
Contact: Website

Re: Build a circuit board

Tue May 03, 2016 12:02 am

I had a similar construction issue with an Rpi internet radio project. I made up a short ribbon cable with an idc connector at one to connect to the Pi; at the other end I separated out the connectors and soldered them individually to the appropriate points on the circuit board. Unused connectors were just cut off short. You can use any kind of ribbon cable, but if you use the rainbow coloured type the colours make it easier to avoid wiring mistakes. The idc connector makes a secure connection to the Pi.
Last edited by exartemarte on Tue May 03, 2016 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

asandford
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: Build a circuit board

Tue May 03, 2016 1:15 am

If you control the mosfets via an MCP23017 i2c gpio expander, you only need a few connections (and you can connect up to 8 to the Pi for a total of 128 i/o).

agraco
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:49 am

Re: Build a circuit board

Tue May 03, 2016 2:28 am

asandford wrote:If you control the mosfets via an MCP23017 i2c gpio expander, you only need a few connections (and you can connect up to 8 to the Pi for a total of 128 i/o).
Hi. This looks incredibly interesting but, for right now, beyond my skills. I have never built my own circuit board so just getting this to work will be an accomplishment. To give you a sense of where I am:

(1) YouTube is teaching me how to solder a circuit board. :D
(2) I still need to buy a decent soldering iron. :)

asandford
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: Build a circuit board

Wed May 04, 2016 1:46 am

agraco wrote: Hi. This looks incredibly interesting but, for right now, beyond my skills. I have never built my own circuit board so just getting this to work will be an accomplishment. To give you a sense of where I am:

(1) YouTube is teaching me how to solder a circuit board. :D
(2) I still need to buy a decent soldering iron. :)
The chip is quite cheap and readily available in breadboard DIL packages.

norahvoss
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:20 am

Re: Build a circuit board

Wed May 04, 2016 8:20 am

I think you can get a lot of useful things on this website if you are a beginner. It's also useful for electronic engineers.
http://hardware.ui3g.com/

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Build a circuit board

Fri May 06, 2016 2:30 pm

agraco wrote:
asandford wrote:If you control the mosfets via an MCP23017 i2c gpio expander, you only need a few connections (and you can connect up to 8 to the Pi for a total of 128 i/o).
Hi. This looks incredibly interesting but, for right now, beyond my skills. I have never built my own circuit board so just getting this to work will be an accomplishment. To give you a sense of where I am:

(1) YouTube is teaching me how to solder a circuit board. :D
(2) I still need to buy a decent soldering iron. :)
The MCP 23017 is available in an easy to assemble expansion board called the Slice of PI/O, very easy even for a beginner.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36306
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Build a circuit board

Fri May 06, 2016 3:53 pm

I'll second that - I built a project this week. The only hard part was soldering the addressing pads. With hind sight I'd do those first before the IC socket.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”