jardiamj

Physics experiment on motion

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi everybody!

I'm taking and online class in physics PH100 at udacity.com, they have very interesting and well structured classes, you should check them up. Any way this is not an advertisement for Udacity, so, back to the Raspberry Pi stuff. I had to do and experiment about motion for the class, so I decided to set something up with my RPi and this is how it came out: http://forums.udacity.com/ph100/questio ... periment-2

I just wanted to share how we can easily turn the RPi into an useful science tool by just attaching a couple of switches to it and writing a few lines of code in Python.

Cheers!
Jardi AMJ
Last edited by jardiamj on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

scep

Re: Physics experiment on motion

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks for sharing this. Computers as as tool for doing 'home-grown' science experiments - it doesn't get much better than that :) Where were the switches from? Canibalised from a printer or something?

And yes, udacity.com is a superb resource for learning (as is coursera.com). Get in quick everyone before they start charging ;) ("Fill yer boots, yer at yer nan's" as we say oop north.)

jardiamj

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:27 pm

You are right Scep, I took them out of an old dot matrix printer. I took everything I thought I could reuse from it, stepper motor, leds, press buttons, capacitors, etc. Somebody was throwing it away, so I asked if I could take some things from it before, the lady looked at me a little surprised and said yes, so I proceeded to take everything I could.

It is a cheap way to get some electronic stuff to experiment with.

morphy_richards

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:59 am

Aaahhhh, years ago when I was at uni there were three places I would get excited about seeing skips. The Physics, Computer Science and Electronics departments.

I managed to build a fully functioning BBC Master from assorted bits that got chucked out by physics in the 1990s (which is still in my mums attic) and my mate lugged this hulking piece of valves and circuity (weighed about 1/4 of a ton) which later turned out to be a 1960's polygraph. (he never got it working though :lol: )

"Skip-diving" certainly is a good (and wholesome) source of all kinds of stuff (but as you did, always get permission first)

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”