nemo096

Remote Proxy Server

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi

I want to use my pi as a proxy so I can access sites in school that C2K block. It is getting so ridiculous that you can't even get on yahoo forums because it is a "Message board and forums" and all the teachers are getting annoyed that Youtube is blocked as well :(

Is there a way I can connect from my C2K account to my home network, port forward to my pi, and use my pi as a proxy?

I tried all the proxy sites but they have been blocked - along with Google half the time!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ethan

P.S any help at all is appreciated

DougieLawson

Re: Remote Proxy Server

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:23 pm

Consider why you are disallowed access to those sites. Could it be because you don't own the network and the network admins have decided to enforce some rules to prevent access to sites that they have deemed unsuitable.

I hope you enjoy your week long (or more) detention when they charge, try and convict you with hacking.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

nemo096

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:37 pm

I am by no means a malicious hacker planning on doing anything to the network. All I'm trying to do is get access to sites like Youtube and yahoo forums. I was making a travel video and it wouldn't let me on the Visit New Zealand website. I only need it for the times when non-harmful sites like those are blocked.

My proxy server is only for getting onto websites I need on to but we do not have access to (which in some cases is stupid eg Google chrome will no longer load Google or let us use the omnibar).

I am not gaining unauthorised access to any C2k servers or accounts so I am not doing anything illegal. Before they were blocked, everyone used proxy sites so all I'm doing is using my own proxy site. I have no intention of doing anything malicious. If a teach found me on YouTube listening to an analysis of a poem they would ask how to do it themselves.

Any help to set up pi as a proxy would be great.

Thanks
Ethan

DougieLawson

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:43 pm

Search Google for "Squid proxy".
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

nemo096

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:55 pm

Thanks very much.

Quick question: besides mask my IP address and hide my traffic, does a VPN do anything else?

HiroProtagonist

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:21 pm

nemo096 wrote:Any help to set up pi as a proxy would be great.
The likes of squid is probably overkill for what you want. I'd look at tinyproxy - very easy to set up & light on resources.

nemo096

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks.

Found a tutorial using tinyproxy - ill post to tell yous if it works

sequoiar

Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:39 am

try peer-proxy, which exactly exposes Pi webserver outside in a secure way:

https://github.com/InstantWebP2P/peer-proxy

Return to “Networking and servers”