Mantrid

Hosting a forum on a pi

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi all

I'd like to install a forum to the pi (though i might try and get images etc hosted on my own webspace to speed things up a bit), temporarily for now to see if it takes off enough (basically if it evolves beyond the pi then it's good enough to pay hosting for)

What's the best forum package to use, and are there any existing installation instructions floating around?

Apologies if this is always asked, this is the kind of project that always throws up mostly irrelevant search results

Pi eater

Re: Hosting a forum on a pi

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:55 pm

I don't know if this would help or not. Maybe somebody has an answer to your question there.
Eating pi is sure good!

jayuk20

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:09 pm

Youve got a few choice but you should look into to them a bit more,

punbb
smf
phpbb

Lob0426

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:37 pm

There has been installs of phpbb on raspberry pi's. it is impossible to find in the search as every thread has phpbb3 in it. WordPress works on it and there is a forum plugin for that.

Either one will take quite a bit of tweaking to get decent speed out of them.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Mantrid

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:30 pm

I've used phpbb3 in the end, the install was very straightforward

And yeah you're right, try searching phpbb or SMF and every result is basically any forum in which someone says the word "pi" :/

it's very fast so far, but i might enforce such rules as externalyl hosted images, or all uploaded images go to my paid-for webspace or something. My Wife's a web-dev, she's configured php before whereas after install i'm left thinking "ok, what next.." so i'll see if she can optimise it

teeth_03

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Sounds interesting

After you get it figured out, a how-to guide would be awesome!

jdubs

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Mantrid wrote:Hi all

I'd like to install a forum to the pi (though i might try and get images etc hosted on my own webspace to speed things up a bit), temporarily for now to see if it takes off enough (basically if it evolves beyond the pi then it's good enough to pay hosting for)

What's the best forum package to use, and are there any existing installation instructions floating around?

Apologies if this is always asked, this is the kind of project that always throws up mostly irrelevant search results
I'd be interested to know how successful you were in your forum set up, as well as your impressions and maybe even a guide!

CoconutPie

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Setup is pretty easy with phpbb3, mostly just downloading it into your /var/www and running the install.

I got one set up running as good as can be expected, using LLMP. Lighttpd should be a lot faster than Apache2 on the pi.

cdrobsonjr

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:32 am

Mantrid wrote:I've used phpbb3 in the end, the install was very straightforward

And yeah you're right, try searching phpbb or SMF and every result is basically any forum in which someone says the word "pi" :/

it's very fast so far, but i might enforce such rules as externalyl hosted images, or all uploaded images go to my paid-for webspace or something. My Wife's a web-dev, she's configured php before whereas after install i'm left thinking "ok, what next.." so i'll see if she can optimise it
Dear Mantrid,
Please share with us your steps to get phpbb3 up and running.
I wish to do the same, but where to put things and how to configure each piece of the puzzle is beyond me.
Thanks,
Doug

Return to “Networking and servers”