Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Fri May 31, 2013 9:31 pm

Hey, I was wondering if I could use the Pi to make a 10 person server for Minecraft.
Is this possible? Will it be slow?
I was thinking about this because I could have a nice little 24/7 server for myself and my friends :)
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

Maxion
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Fri May 31, 2013 9:58 pm

No I don't think it's possible, the Pi is too slow.

lulzhacks
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Fri May 31, 2013 10:12 pm

you could try and cluster them apart from that using one it will just crash.
-lulz

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Fri May 31, 2013 10:15 pm

Maxion wrote:No I don't think it's possible, the Pi is too slow.
If I lower thE amount of players, will it work? I've heard other people doing this and being successful
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Fri May 31, 2013 10:16 pm

lulzhacks wrote:you could try and cluster them apart from that using one it will just crash.
-lulz
Im sorry but I don't understand what you mean by clustering them apart
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Fri May 31, 2013 10:17 pm

Bloxplosion wrote:Hey, I was wondering if I could use the Pi to make a 10 person server for Minecraft.
Is this possible? Will it be slow?
I was thinking about this because I could have a nice little 24/7 server for myself and my friends :)
SORRY I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT I am talking about pi model b
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

DuncanKennedy
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:35 am

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:15 am

Give it a try!

I've run the minecraft bukkit server (craftbukkit) on my model b with 2-3 players and it's been ok. Seems to be just a matter of gradually testing to see how many users you can push before you run into slowdowns. There are also a number of features in the config file for the server (viewing distance, mobs/animals on or off etc) which can increase performance.
Duncan
The mind is an infinite resource, provided you don't waste it!

ferjeezy
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:53 am

You could always try using MCServer. It is written in C++ instead of java so it is far more lightweight. You will have to build it from source or find a pre-compiled binary from somewhere here on the forum.

http://www.mc-server.org/

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:30 am

DuncanKennedy wrote:Give it a try!

I've run the minecraft bukkit server (craftbukkit) on my model b with 2-3 players and it's been ok. Seems to be just a matter of gradually testing to see how many users you can push before you run into slowdowns. There are also a number of features in the config file for the server (viewing distance, mobs/animals on or off etc) which can increase performance.

Sweet. I would think turning view distance low would really help.
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:33 am

ferjeezy wrote:You could always try using MCServer. It is written in C++ instead of java so it is far more lightweight. You will have to build it from source or find a pre-compiled binary from somewhere here on the forum.

http://www.mc-server.org/

Would MC - Server support plugins? It seems to look really lightweight and I really like it.
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

lulzhacks
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:34 pm

Bloxplosion wrote:
lulzhacks wrote:you could try and cluster them apart from that using one it will just crash.
-lulz
Im sorry but I don't understand what you mean by clustering them apart
I didn't make myself clear, you could make a small Beowulf cluster. The only thing is that it is a single thread (therefore having a cluster wpuld be pointless) so you the only way to make it work better would be to over clock the cpu and perhaps use MCServer like ferjeezy sugested but you would have to compile the source yourself (i think).
-L

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:14 pm

lulzhacks wrote:
Bloxplosion wrote:
lulzhacks wrote:you could try and cluster them apart from that using one it will just crash.
-lulz
Im sorry but I don't understand what you mean by clustering them apart
I didn't make myself clear, you could make a small Beowulf cluster. The only thing is that it is a single thread (therefore having a cluster wpuld be pointless) so you the only way to make it work better would be to over clock the cpu and perhaps use MCServer like ferjeezy sugested but you would have to compile the source yourself (i think).
-L

I guess that does make sence. Thanks for your help.
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

ghans
Posts: 7880
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:43 am

That does not make any sense , because of the network
overhead of a Pi cluster. This will destroy any speed advantage
gained by clustering , furthermore even a multithreaded MC
server won't work faster on a cluster magically.

You will have to design your very own cluster MC server from
scratch for that. And the network overhead will bite you.


ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:22 pm

ghans wrote:That does not make any sense , because of the network
overhead of a Pi cluster. This will destroy any speed advantage
gained by clustering , furthermore even a multithreaded MC
server won't work faster on a cluster magically.

You will have to design your very own cluster MC server from
scratch for that. And the network overhead will bite you.


ghans
How exactly do I make one?
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

ashwee
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:20 pm

No as the Pi is a 700mhz processor it would struggle to get half a person (if that was possible) and to supply 10 people you would need a dual core 1.8 ghz processor and 100mb per person so I wouldn't even bother

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:15 pm

ashwee wrote:No as the Pi is a 700mhz processor it would struggle to get half a person (if that was possible) and to supply 10 people you would need a dual core 1.8 ghz processor and 100mb per person so I wouldn't even bother
Not really. It is possible to do this, but there are some very HUGE optimisations that need to be made in order to do this.
I just want to know how.
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

ghans
Posts: 7880
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:30 am

Yeah , with a HUGE pile of money the Death Star could become
a reality , too ...


ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

chris57100
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:23 pm
Location: Thionville
Contact: Website

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:01 pm

I tried 2 servers and was able to play with 3 connections. I don't have enought minecraft friends to try more. I suggest that you use a 512Mb model as 256Mb is not enought to handle the java process without many crashes
Raspberry Pi Home Server : http://www.pihomeserver.fr
Software and electronic tutorials : Samba, Airplay, CUPS, Time machine, Nginx, Owncloud, rTorrent, Wordpress, etc.
Full Wi-Fi hotspot installation on a RPi 3 including a captive portal and freeradius management: https://github.com/pihomeserver/Kupiki-Hotspot-Script

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:57 pm

chris57100 wrote:I tried 2 servers and was able to play with 3 connections. I don't have enought minecraft friends to try more. I suggest that you use a 512Mb model as 256Mb is not enought to handle the java process without many crashes
I could not agree more. I will be getting model b after I finish my research.
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

lulzhacks
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:21 pm

If it doesnt matter what platform you want the server on you could pick up a cheap 1u server from ebay for 20 - 30 quid

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:26 pm

lulzhacks wrote:If it doesnt matter what platform you want the server on you could pick up a cheap 1u server from ebay for 20 - 30 quid
To be honest, i looked at a few, they look like a good deal, but i dont think I would have enough space for one of them in my home.
Also there pretty old... I wouldnt expect them to be so reliable.
Other than that, there specs are pretty good.
I would personally go for the raspberry pi because the pi obviously conducts less power.
Good search anyways.
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

Cowang4
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:02 pm

It is definitely possible to make a server that can handle 10 people, especially if your willing to all say relatively close together in game and small view distance.

Check out this thread for help making a fast Bukkit server: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 36&t=27889

I can give you tips to do those optimizations if you want. (I've been running a 5 person server with no lag)

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:05 pm

Cowang4 wrote:It is definitely possible to make a server that can handle 10 people, especially if your willing to all say relatively close together in game and small view distance.

Check out this thread for help making a fast Bukkit server: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 36&t=27889

I can give you tips to do those optimizations if you want. (I've been running a 5 person server with no lag)
Very helpful topic. A few tips would be nice.
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:12 pm

((BUMP))
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

Bloxplosion
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: England, Berkshire

Re: 10 Person Minecraft Server? Is this possible?

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:16 pm

((BUMP))
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO MY THREAD :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45749&p=368018#p368018

Return to “Networking and servers”