neo_star

regarding WIFI adapter TP-LINK TL-WN723N

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:52 pm

I am planning on to add a WIFI adapter to my old 256 model B.
i am considering TP-LINK TL-WN723N
the wiki says it will work OOTB
has anyone used this adapter, if so pls post a feedback

Church1182

Re: regarding WIFI adapter TP-LINK TL-WN723N

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:13 am

Judging by when you posted this you may have already figured it out, but I used this on mine and had no issues with it connected directly to the pi. At first if I plugged it into the powered hub it didn't want to work(as in the pi didn't recognize it), but after I modified my /etc/network/interfaces file with the SSID and password it didn't seem to matter if I plugged into the pi directly or the hub. I've been running it for a month or so with no issues.

neo_star

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:19 am

so u mean to say that it works out of the box if SSID is configured

gurrag79

Wed May 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Hello.
Linux-lame as I am, please consider this as a how-I-did-it only.

-Inserted my TP-Link TL-WN723N into my DLink DUB-H4 connected to the RPi (512mb 2usb 1nic version)
-Brand spanking newly imaged SD card inserted into RPi. (wheezy 20130209).
-Start it up, selecting language, expand rootfs etc according to my prefs.
-Logging in to the CLI.
-Edited /etc/network/interfaces as follows

Code: Select all

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
#iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.35
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.253

allow-hotplug wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet manual
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wpa-ssid myssid
        wpa-psk mypresharedkey
        auto wlan0

#wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
In words, I changed eth0 to static (I wanted it like that), I changed wlan0 from manual to dhcp and put it to auto, I removed wpa-roam totally. I never lay hands on the wpa_supplicant.conf.
That's it. Oh yes, the system complains on some illegal operation when it tries to start up the network interfaces, but that goes away after one or two reboots.
My wifi is WPA(not WPA2) TKIP PSK.

Good to know is that my 723 now has a good strong green blinking. When trying to get this 723 working in RPi, that was not always the case.
My initial testing was to insert the 723 directly into RPi. After too many different approaches to get things working my head was fried. Then I changed the AP to WEP, this meant I ruled out WPA from the equation. I got it working. After some rebooting and poking around in the other RPi Linux areas the wifi stopped working. I realized that the 723 green blinking was not as strong as earlier. I thought if it had to do with the power somehow not being sufficient anymore but USB hub didnt improve it. 4 hours of reading and googleing and feeling extremely lame, I tried to put my 723 into my windows xp laptop, just to see the same dull green blinking... For some reason I pressed the WPS button that I didnt even had seen was there, and bam, I got strong green blinking again and windows xp could be connected.
Back in the RPi the 723 was still blinking strong green. Now I had no problem getting WEP or WPA working.

Return to “Networking and servers”