loldavid6

Re: Minecraft server - How To

Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:02 pm

This would run really really really well if you were to use spigot (http://www.spigotmc.org/) instead of you normal bukkit (http://dl.bukkit.org/) server, I know that this what I am going to do :D !

minilyaa

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:02 am

Security warning for Minecraft? i get a security warning on my mac when i try to play minecraft classic single player, my friends have this game, should i accept it? im in the browser and on the website when i want to play it.

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:05 pm

We need more details.

What item gets what "security" error? What thing generates the error?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Creepers_N_Onion

Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:07 pm

I am REALLLLLY stuck on this :/ dayum :?:

IAmARaspberryPi

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:55 am

So does anyone actually have this up and running with all features with good stability?

mazzse

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:52 pm

So Let me ask you guys the same question.
Does anyone actually get this thing upp and running with mc?

My plans were to give away the pi with mc installed as a birthday gift.
But it only seams to be crushing a 10year old boys hart...

So please Does this really work, ½ satisfying?

Best Regards
Mazz

mattcheau

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:07 pm

mazzse wrote:So Let me ask you guys the same question.
Does anyone actually get this thing upp and running with mc?

My plans were to give away the pi with mc installed as a birthday gift.
But it only seams to be crushing a 10year old boys hart...

So please Does this really work, ½ satisfying?

Best Regards
Mazz
yes, my server's up and running and it works just fine with 2-3 players. RPi's OCed to 1GHz, running a Spigot server (-Xms256, -Xmx496), no plugins as NoSpawnChunks currently isn't working (i think due to Java 1.8). PM me for the server address is you want to check it out.

septantrionalis

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:02 pm

I've been messing with a Minecraft server setup the past few days and it actually works surprisingly well on the Raspberry Pi! First, my Pi is dedicated only to running the Minecraft server. It boots straight into the console (no windows environment). gpu_mem=16 and I've overclocked the pi to 1GHz.

I originally tried Minecraft Forge and that didn't work well at all. Huge portions of the map would not load, so I'd see voids all over the place. I switched to the vanilla Minecraft server and the map loads fine.

I am, however, running the server with -Xms set to 1024M and -Xmx set to 2048M. I managed to get this to work by enabling a swap space to a 16G USB drive I've got plugged in.

mkswap /dev/sda1
sudo swapoff -v /var/swap
sudo swapon /dev/sda1

Yes, I know a swap space will limit the life of a flash drive, but this thumb drive cost me $10. I can afford another one. :) The extra allocated memory does make a difference, but I'd actually like to set my -Xms and -Xmx even higher. Unfortunately, I get this error with higher values :

Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx8192M
The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size.
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

I'm no expert with swap space on a Linux environment, so maybe I dont have enough allocated space? I don't know.

The other issue I have is block lag. I'll destroy a block and it will disappear, reappear, then finally disappear again after a few seconds. The game is still playable though.

mattcheau

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:39 pm

septantrionalis wrote:I am, however, running the server with -Xms set to 1024M and -Xmx set to 2048M. I managed to get this to work by enabling a swap space to a 16G USB drive I've got plugged in.

[...]

The other issue I have is block lag. I'll destroy a block and it will disappear, reappear, then finally disappear again after a few seconds. The game is still playable though.
ooh, that's a great idea -- and the first time i've seen/heard of it. thank you! what size is the swap partition, the whole 16GB? lots of interesting information if you google "maximum java heap size,' including this stackoverflow thread where somebody posted a script to query your own JRE for your box's specific maximum heap.

and i experience the same block lag. i was able to eliminate it almost entirely by limiting the 'view-distance' to '4' (making sure to set it both in server.properties and spigot.yml) -- but i'd actually rather the block lag.

septantrionalis

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:57 pm

mattcheau wrote:ooh, that's a great idea -- and the first time i've seen/heard of it. thank you! what size is the swap partition, the whole 16GB?

and i experience the same block lag. i was able to eliminate it almost entirely by limiting the 'view-distance' to '4' (making sure to set it both in server.properties and spigot.yml) -- but i'd actually rather the block lag.
I am new at working with swap spaces. I've never actually had to mess with it until now with the limited memory space of the Raspberry Pi. I literally just inserted the 16 GB USB drive (make sure its not mounted) and typed in the following commands:

mkswap /dev/sda1
sudo swapoff -v /var/swap
sudo swapon /dev/sda1

I assume this means it uses the entire partition? Anyone out there mess with swap spaces?

I also tried messing with /etc/dphys-swapfile. This required me to mount the USB drive. It then created the swap file as defined in the dphys-swapfile. I had the following defined:

CONF_SWAPSIZE=10000
CONF_SWAPFILE=/media/USB_DRIVE/swap

Unfortunately, I could not figure out how to enable the swap partition with this method. Whenever I typed "dphys-swapfile swapon", I'd get an error message. I gave up after about half an hour and reverted back to my original method.

Also, thanks for the view-distance suggestion! I'll try that when I get home. I currently have it set to 10, lol.

IAmARaspberryPi

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:00 pm

mattcheau wrote:
septantrionalis wrote:I am, however, running the server with -Xms set to 1024M and -Xmx set to 2048M. I managed to get this to work by enabling a swap space to a 16G USB drive I've got plugged in.

[...]

ooh, that's a great idea -- and the first time i've seen/heard of it. thank you! what size is the swap partition, the whole 16GB? lots of interesting information if you google "maximum java heap size,' including this stackoverflow thread where somebody posted a script to query your own JRE for your box's specific maximum heap.

No need to set it in server.properties, it's overwritten by spigot.

septantrionalis

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:23 pm

Looks like its allocating the entire USB drive for swap space (which I don't mind)

pi@rpi8 ~ $ swapon -s
Filename Type Size Used Priority
/dev/sda1 partition 15240604 16 -1

Its not using too much because I just rebooted the Pi.

mattcheau

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:00 pm

IAmARaspberryPi wrote:No need to set it in server.properties, it's overwritten by spigot.
yea -- had to figure that out the long way. all the "walkthroughs" i referenced were strangely unspecific in that regard. thanks for clarifying that spigot overwrites properties though.
septantrionalis wrote:Also, thanks for the view-distance suggestion! I'll try that when I get home. I currently have it set to 10, lol.
yw! i also made a little edit to my repy to link a script you might be interested in.

jamesmd95

Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:44 pm

I know its been a while but i'm interested in getting this started again. If there's enough interest I'll get to work :)
rapidwhois.uk | jmdawson.co.uk

broo0ose

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:15 am

I was looking at how to do it over the weekend. Since the 1.8 upgrade all the non official servers seem to be playing catch up. Spigot had some legal issues as well, it seems that development was halted for a while but may be back soon.

IAmARaspberryPi

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:21 am

Bummer about Spigot :-/

cloud_canvas

Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Yeah, so what is the current status about starting a fresh server in a 1.8/CraftBukkit & Spigot DMCA takedown environment?

I tried overclocking a Model B running Mojang's stock 1.8 server and it was not happening.

jamesmd95

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:33 am

Should be much better with the new pi 2! Mine arrived yesterday so I will give it a go tonight.

compscieducator

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:03 pm

How did Minecraft work on the RPi 2? I've been teaching with it since the beginning of term and the performance issues are causing a lot of problems. Is it significantly better on the RPi 2?

jamesmd95

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:55 am

It's at least 5 times faster. Totally playable!

LetHopeItsSnowing

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:41 am

If you want to see a video of a PI 2 running a spigot server + some instructions on how to set on up head to my blog.

http://www.stuffaboutcode.com/2015/02/r ... erver.html

btw - I tried it with both a vanilla server and a spigot server and I didnt notice any performance difference.

Mart
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

jamesmd95

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:32 pm

It won't be much difference as your only using one core. Try using JDK instead of JRE and using the following flags:

Code: Select all

-server -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -Xms1G -Xmx1G -jar

DrMrSuperAwesomeGuy

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Does anyone have a current IP to a minecraft server running on a RPi? I would like to see how it performs.

Also, I was hoping to make a headless 2 person server with my RPi A+, is this feasible? Or is it simply not up to the task realistically? Has anyone tried it?

link22

Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:08 am

I'll try your server out :D. Thx for tutorial!!

Return to “Networking and servers”