chromebookbob

Re: Minecraft server - How To

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:00 am

My server is running off a model b 256mb with a modest overclock. No logg whatsoever with 6 or 7 plugins and mobs turned on! visit me! picraft.no-ip.biz:25565
Last edited by chromebookbob on Sat May 11, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit my website with the original instructions on it for both vanilla and Tekkit Lite Servers: www.picraftbukkit.webs.com

chromebookbob

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:08 am

untitled 4.jpg
Pig in PI house
untitled 4.jpg (57.35 KiB) Viewed 6535 times
I got a pig stuck in my house! picraft.no-ip.biz:25565
:lol:
Last edited by chromebookbob on Sat May 11, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit my website with the original instructions on it for both vanilla and Tekkit Lite Servers: www.picraftbukkit.webs.com

chromebookbob

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 am

Timmeh wrote:Ok so I understand that no one has posted on this thread for a while now but I have a problem. The server is working absolutely fine, very little lag with up to about 5 players. The only thing is there is a glitch where you destroy a block but then it reappears and you have to wait up to a minute for it to disappear. It is annoying and takes all the fun out of the game. Anything that I could try would be much appreciated. Raspberry Pi 512mb ram 4gb sd card

Thanks again
Tim
I had a similar problem, go to the server.properties file (

Code: Select all

sudo nano server.properties
)
and edit the view distance to 3/4 also edit the startup code to xms 384 xms 489 ( I think,see page 5)

EdwinJ85

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:51 am

I set my Xmx to 256, that solved a lot of problems. My draw distance is 4 and I can handle 4 players no problems. I also have NOSPAWNCHUNKS installed.
Hello!

DamienAnton

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 am

Thanks to this guy I got my Pi to run spigot without disabling anything. Check out his tutorial and his proof of concept pi server. http://picraftbukkit.webs.com/

Cowang4

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Hey, thanks for the tutorial Ranrade!
My friends and I have been playing on online servers for a while. Its great that we can now just host our own.

I'm running a Spigot Server with NoSpawnChunks, and its perfectly smooth!

I'm running HardFloat Wheezy (Raspbian) as an os in BerryBoot, a dualbooter on my Model B 512MB RAM.

I've got it overclocked to 800, which works fine for me, mobs, nether and all. I think the worst part is when it has to generate chunks.
I know that normal usage is limited by the CPU maxing out, but does anyone know for a fact that the bad SD card i have is the limiting factor for chunk generation?

Thanks, Cowang4

kworley97

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:59 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to update the server to 1.5.1?

Hiradur

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:01 am

Cowang4 wrote:I know that normal usage is limited by the CPU maxing out, but does anyone know for a fact that the bad SD card i have is the limiting factor for chunk generation?
I tried to put it on a USB 3.0 stick which has a high 4k read and write speed and higher sequential read and write than the sd card. Didn't improve anything though so I stick to my SD card.

chromebookbob

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Cowang4 wrote:Hey, thanks for the tutorial Ranrade!
My friends and I have been playing on online servers for a while. Its great that we can now just host our own.

I'm running a Spigot Server with NoSpawnChunks, and its perfectly smooth!

I'm running HardFloat Wheezy (Raspbian) as an os in BerryBoot, a dualbooter on my Model B 512MB RAM.

I've got it overclocked to 800, which works fine for me, mobs, nether and all. I think the worst part is when it has to generate chunks.
I know that normal usage is limited by the CPU maxing out, but does anyone know for a fact that the bad SD card i have is the limiting factor for chunk generation?

Thanks, Cowang4
I have installed worldguard, a plugin which limits the map size, this definitely improves performance.

chromebookbob

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:36 pm

kworley97 wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to update the server to 1.5.1?
It should be on 1.5.1, if you are using spigot, make sure you use the most recent jar. To update just stop the server and delete the .jar, then Wget the new one to the same place, it should work.

sdd

Thu May 02, 2013 12:31 am

Hiradur wrote:
Cowang4 wrote:I know that normal usage is limited by the CPU maxing out, but does anyone know for a fact that the bad SD card i have is the limiting factor for chunk generation?
I tried to put it on a USB 3.0 stick which has a high 4k read and write speed and higher sequential read and write than the sd card. Didn't improve anything though so I stick to my SD card.
Using a USB 3.0 flash drive shouldn't make a difference because the pi uses USB 2.0 with 100 Mb per second bandwidth. USB 2.0 might actually work better.

gryphraff

Fri May 03, 2013 5:19 pm

I'm running a server mostly to play across a couple of machines. Here's a problem I'm having - when I log in, I fall through the world. Most of the time it recovers, I get a "crunch" and hit the ground and can move after a second or two. Sometimes, I fall through until I die, or it appears to reset to the spawn point, fall again, and then I die. This is in a world that's fairly well played and developed.

I tried to follow the guides here to the letter, and once logged in and moving everything is fine. I feel like I've missed something though. Is there a trick to having the the game wait a bit before spawning the player?

Cowang4

Sat May 04, 2013 7:04 pm

gryphraff wrote:I'm running a server mostly to play across a couple of machines. Here's a problem I'm having - when I log in, I fall through the world. Most of the time it recovers, I get a "crunch" and hit the ground and can move after a second or two. Sometimes, I fall through until I die, or it appears to reset to the spawn point, fall again, and then I die. This is in a world that's fairly well played and developed.

I tried to follow the guides here to the letter, and once logged in and moving everything is fine. I feel like I've missed something though. Is there a trick to having the the game wait a bit before spawning the player?
That's interesting. When I login to mine, it usually hovers me in the air (no blocks visible) until the current chunk loads. But, mine never kills me. Try switching to creative mode on log in, then switching back after it loads.

gryphraff

Mon May 06, 2013 12:24 am

it usually hovers me in the air (no blocks visible) until the current chunk loads.
I guess you could call it hovering in the air - the only real indication I have of falling is the Y-indicator going down. I'll give the creative mode login a try and see what that does.

Hiradur

Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 pm

As this happens to me too I requested a plugin some weeks ago. It's not finished yet but it's under development. Check out this thread:

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/keep-c ... ut.137833/

gryphraff

Wed May 15, 2013 11:36 am

Hiradur wrote:As this happens to me too I requested a plugin some weeks ago. It's not finished yet but it's under development.

That sounds like it would solve the problems I'm having. In the meantime, I set gamerule keepInventory to 'true' - even if I do fall through the world, I keep everything at respawn.

KRIS537

Fri May 17, 2013 11:04 am

gryphraff wrote:I'm running a server mostly to play across a couple of machines. Here's a problem I'm having - when I log in, I fall through the world. Most of the time it recovers, I get a "crunch" and hit the ground and can move after a second or two. Sometimes, I fall through until I die, or it appears to reset to the spawn point, fall again, and then I die. This is in a world that's fairly well played and developed.

I get exactly the same issue which is very annoying.

For those who have just started to use this server to update easily, install Filezilla, it allows you to log onto the pi and transfer files to and from your pc and pi. So i short i use this to update to latest server version, and also copy the level back to the PC as a backup if the SD card should ever fail.

Also to note this will help massivly. download minecraft edit, this allows you to generate the map without actually having to explore it. this will also help as you wont have to genertate new terrain on the Pi. I did this my level went from 43mb to over 1gb file size. no more pi crashes for new terrain for a while i think lol.

ZZEXX0

Sun May 19, 2013 5:25 am

Great Method!
Here's my Problem:
I'm using PuTTY to control my server from my laptop. When I close PuTTY the entire server shuts down.Is there any way to fix this, so that when I do close PuTTY it dosen't turn off the server?

AlexOlney

Mon May 20, 2013 11:37 am

I'm having terrible difficulty getting the server to be at a playable level, it can take nearly three seconds for a destroyed block to actually vanish and yield its item. I've run a few Minecraft servers before, but never on a Pi, so this is all very new to me.

I'm running 1.5.2 on a model B without using the GUI. I don't know if it makes a difference at all, but I'm using BerryBoot to launch Raspbian (latest version).

Any tips of help anyone could give would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks.

Hiradur

Tue May 21, 2013 5:47 pm

ZZEXX0 wrote:Great Method!
Here's my Problem:
I'm using PuTTY to control my server from my laptop. When I close PuTTY the entire server shuts down.Is there any way to fix this, so that when I do close PuTTY it dosen't turn off the server?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 86#p329986

@AlexOlney: Don't use the official server, use Bukkit or Spigot.

noob

Thu May 23, 2013 7:00 pm

works great, but i couldnt access your server, i dont have experience accessing minecraft servers, i just typed in your server address, and i didnt change server name, anything that i did wrong?

noob

Sat May 25, 2013 8:08 am

got it working now, how do i add mods or change the server ip?

AlexOlney

Tue May 28, 2013 10:29 am

Hiradur wrote:@AlexOlney: Don't use the official server, use Bukkit or Spigot.
I've tried using both and the result is still the same, the whole server is jut unplayable and I can't seem to fathom why, I've allocated enough data and run through every step in this tutorial to the letter - someone please help!

Hiradur

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Are you running it from console? memsplit set to 16?

I checked how many writes I have on my sd card today and I'm a little scared. My Pi ran over 2 days and has 10mil writes. That scares me, reading that another guy has only 6mil writes after 159days uptime.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 68#p337668

How much writes do you have?

check your writes since last boot with

Code: Select all

awk '{print $7}' /sys/block/mmcblk0/stat

m0g

Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:41 am

Hey guys,

first off, just wanted to say that this was a fantastic tutorial and a perfect use for my pi! I just got my pi running a minecraft server successfully (after a lot of network trouble shooting haha) earlier tonight, and I only have one more thing I would like to figure out:

Is it at all possible for me to start the server in an SSH session and disconnect that session while the server still runs? I am aware that this likely would be tricky due to the way terminal sessions are run on linux, but I would prefer to be able to start the server and leave it running without ever needing to remote desktop into the raspberry pi or leaving an SSH session connected. I was hoping there would be a CLI option to run the process as detached and that that would work, but I couldn't find any information on it.

any ideas?

Thanks

Return to “Networking and servers”