tonyhughes

How to set up a new Raspbian install as mail/webserver

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:55 am

I'm part way through writing a large script that will take a fresh Raspbian install, and do many tasks:

Install rpi-update, webserver, mailserver, security software, network tools, webmin, etc

It will also configure all installed software to make sure the mailserver etc is all setup correctly, and using maildir, installing squirrelmail, setting up useful symbolic links, useful login script, useful bash aliases etc.

Its going to be a 'hands-off' script, that will ask for as little user input as possible at the start.

Mainly for my own benefit - as I will hopefully be able to detect the underlying OS (Raspbian/Ubuntu/Debian etc) and provide some customisation based on that.

It takes the concept of Tasksel, but expands on it, and is much more transparent and configurable.

I assume it will be useful to others. How best should I distribute it?

Maybe a couple of lines of input for the user, to wget it, chmod it, and run it?

Chapindad

Re: How to set up a new Raspbian install as mail/webserver

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:25 am

This would be great. I am looking forward to it....

tonyhughes

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:55 am

Cool, ive been working on it this whole time, its looking pretty good so far.

I've got it doing a veritable boat-load of important and mundane setup tasks for a fresh install of Raspbian Wheezy, and installation and configuration of various software.

Just need to do some testing on a fresh image now, then the last job will be the actual installation and configuration of the web and mail servers. Webserver is trivial, and now that I have had some success with Dovecot, I think that will be easy too.

tonyhughes

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:53 am

Sigh... so much work lol. Its getting bigger by the hour. Although not huge, as Im learning scripting as I go, and getting to grips with sed and a few other things.

Return to “Networking and servers”