bls

Experts: NFS or Samba?

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:25 pm

I have several Linux and RPi systems around the house, and of course, every once in a while I need to grab a file from another system. Sometimes I'll use SSH, but I also use NFS and Samba randomly.

I've decided to restructure all the storage, and have both NFS and Samba working...but which one should I "standardize" on? For a home LAN configuration with synchronized uid/gids, it seems that NFS is the better choice from the perspective of simplicity, but Samba (at least in my configuration) maps my client root user to my remote personal user (pi), and that's a pretty nice feature as well.

If you use networked storage, and have tried both NFS and Samba, which one are you using, and why?

Thx for your thoughts!

DougieLawson

Re: Experts: NFS or Samba?

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:03 pm

NFS plays nicely with the Linux permission bits and ownership model. Samba/CIFS doesn't do that.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

scruss

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:59 pm

NFS definitely - if your network's going to remain fairly static. NFS can still glitch horribly if the the server goes away unexpectedly.

CIFS (Samba) is great for informal networks, but gets messy around permissions. For me it's basically a wireless USB stick.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

thagrol

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:59 am

bls wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:25 pm
If you use networked storage, and have tried both NFS and Samba, which one are you using, and why?
Linux clients use NFS. Windows and android clients use Samba/CIFS. If I had to pick just one it would be Samba/CIFS due to the need to support windows clients.
Attempts to contact me outside of these forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

bls

Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Thanks, folks...that confirms my thoughts. I ended up in a strange configuration due to some unaligned uid assignments across systems, but fixed that a while ago. Now rationalizing the rest. I do access my main Linux server from Windows via Samba, but never do any file access from Windows to the RPis so I'm off to implement an all-NFS Linux configuration.

Return to “Networking and servers”