Chimneyfactory

Suggested USB3 to SATA adaptors (without power!) - what works well for you?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:55 pm

I've got a NAS I built some time back with (originally) a Pi B and 2x salvaged 3.5" HDD. I used some ebay USB2 to SATA adaptors, and it was powered with a separate 5volt and 12 volt supply.

Over the years it's been tweaked and upgraded, ended up being a Pi 2 B+ with same USB adaptors, power from buck/boost converters to give 5v & 12v from a ~11 - 13 volt solar charged battery.

Recently it's been showing its age and I suspect a drive or possibly the USB > SATA adaptor failing. Going to rebuild it, using some 2.5" drives that I've already got and will eliminate the need for 12 volts. Also likely to move it to Pi4 for better data throughput.

So...

I'm after suggestions for USB3 to SATA adaptors that work reliably with the Pi4, give reasonable performance, ideally don't get in the way of SMART on the drives (some of the adaptors I'd tried in the past didn't like smartctl) but aren't excessively expensive.

2.5" HDD enclosures aren't really a solution as they rely on the USB for power. I want to provide my own power to the drive, and have a separate SATA to USB link to the pi.

Suggestions very welcome as to what may have worked well for you.

Thanks

Ian

LTolledo

Re: Suggested USB3 to SATA adaptors (without power!) - what works well for you?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Am using Eluteng "Blue" SATA to USB3.0 adaptors on my RPi2BNAS (with 2.5" Seagate 4TB HDD) and Rock64NAS (with 2.5" WesternDigital 4TB on USB3.0 and 2.5" Marshall 1TB HDD on USB2.0)

I like it because of its short thick cable and the activity lights.
Been using for about a year now.

Below is a reference image of the setup. Same setup used for the R64NAS
RPi2B_NAS_v3.0.jpg
RPi2B_NAS_v3.0.jpg (198.74 KiB) Viewed 644 times

I also have a RPi4B-2G based NAS, but its based on 2 x 3.5" Seagate 8TB HDDs
you'll find my build details here
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... S#p1541272
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

ejolson

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:12 am

Chimneyfactory wrote:
2.5" HDD enclosures aren't really a solution as they rely on the USB for power. I want to provide my own power to the drive, and have a separate SATA to USB link to the pi.
Finding an adapter with a separate power supply is going to be the difficulty and unfortunately I have no recommendation. I suppose it would be irritating to cut the cable apart. The standard solution is to use a powered USB hub or a powered multi-bay USB enclosure. I wonder if anyone else has a better idea.
Last edited by ejolson on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpdom

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:26 am

ejolson wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:12 am
Chimneyfactory wrote:
Finding an adapter with a separate power supply in going to be the difficulty and I have no recommendation. I suppose it would be irritating to cut the cable apart. The standard solution is to use a powered USB HUB or a powered multi-bay USB enclosure. I wonder if anyone else has a better idea.
I bought some short SATA extension cables. They consist of a plug one end and a socket on the other. The data and power cables are separate, so I could just cut the +5V (and +12V for 3.5" disks) and one of the two ground wires and connect them directly to a power supply. Then the cable goes between the USB-SATA adaptor and the drive.

Return to “Networking and servers”