MovesLikeAKnife

APFS and Raspberry Pi

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:19 am

Hi,
I am new to the rPi scene, and was wondering if anyone had any experience using APFS (Apple's Latest Filesystem) successfully with Raspberry Pi. I have a 4TB external HDD formatted as APFS, and was wondering if it would work out of the box, or if I needed to install anything, or just to convert the drive really?

fruitoftheloom

Re: APFS and Raspberry Pi

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:46 am

MovesLikeAKnife wrote:
Hi,
I am new to the rPi scene, and was wondering if anyone had any experience using APFS (Apple's Latest Filesystem) successfully with Raspberry Pi. I have a 4TB external HDD formatted as APFS, and was wondering if it would work out of the box, or if I needed to install anything, or just to convert the drive really?

It is proprietary code, but a developer has undertaken some work for Linux to read:

https://github.com/sgan81/apfs-fuse

YMMV
Retired disgracefully.....

Andyroo

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:41 pm

I know Mojave defaults this way (not sure if Fusion drives are fixed) for SSD and HDDs inside the Macs but I’ve not seen any advantage moving my externals off exFat yet.

This still gives me Linux and Windows compatibility with large file and volume support
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

ejolson

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:21 pm

MovesLikeAKnife wrote:
Hi,
As mentioned, the obvious solution is to buy an additional HDD and format it using exFAT. The solution I used was to install Linux on my Mac and then to format my drives with ext4 or BTRFS.

Return to “Networking and servers”