freds

Make RPi show in Network List in Windows 8 or 10

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm

Hopefully just something stupid I have done. I just want to see my RPi (3+B) in the list of computers when I look at the network display of devices in Windows 8 or 10. I can ping the RPi with the DHCP assigned IP(4) address. I can see the Shared Folder contents on the RPi using Samba. But I can not see the RPi in the list of computers when I display the list in Windows. I have assigned the same Workgroup name in Samba but maybe there is some other component that handles broadcasting the names of computers on the network. I am using 192.168.1.x for IP addresses. I installed "2019-07-10 raspbian buster".

When I looked at other posts, the focus seems to be on accessing shared folders but I would like to see the RPi show up in the list of network devices on other PC's on my network.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Andyroo

Re: Make RPi show in Network List in Windows 8 or 10

Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:56 pm

I do not have a PC here that I can play with (not touching the good ladys or my sons - esp his keyboard) but I wonder what version of smb protocol you are using on the PC and the Pi?

There are a few things you can try in the global section of the SAMBA config file:

Code: Select all

server min protocol = SMB2
netbios name = <Pi name>
workgroup = <Your home workgroup>
You can also try SMB3 as the first line
You can also try piname.local as the netbios name
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

hortimech

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Or you could use a version of Web Service Discovery for Linux: https://github.com/christgau/wsdd
This is the protocol Windows is using instead of network browsing.

pfletch101

Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:29 pm

freds wrote:
Hopefully just something stupid I have done. I just want to see my RPi (3+B) in the list of computers when I look at the network display of devices in Windows 8 or 10. I can ping the RPi with the DHCP assigned IP(4) address. I can see the Shared Folder contents on the RPi using Samba. But I can not see the RPi in the list of computers when I display the list in Windows. I have assigned the same Workgroup name in Samba but maybe there is some other component that handles broadcasting the names of computers on the network. I am using 192.168.1.x for IP addresses. I installed "2019-07-10 raspbian buster".

When I looked at other posts, the focus seems to be on accessing shared folders but I would like to see the RPi show up in the list of network devices on other PC's on my network.

Good luck! Windows networking is a severe PITA. I intermittently but quite frequently can't see the other Windows 10 machines on my network in the Windows network display!

ejolson

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 pm

freds wrote:

It appears the SMB protocol has changed from SMB1 to SMB2 to SMB3 and this impacts how services are discovered in Network Neighborhood. A reasonable, technically accurate and humorous description of what can and still needs to be done is described in

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/res ... -ever.106/

On another note, while SMB3 is said to be a good protocol, it does not support the Unix extensions present in SMB1. There have been proposals to rectify this, but the code is experimental and not included by default. Fortunately this only affects mounting Samba shares from one Pi to another Pi, which does not seem to be what you are doing.

hortimech

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:53 am

ejolson wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 pm
On another note, while SMB3 is said to be a good protocol, it does not support the Unix extensions present in SMB1. There have been proposals to rectify this, but the code is experimental and not included by default. Fortunately this only affects mounting Samba shares from one Pi to another Pi, which does not seem to be what you are doing.
The code isn't even experimental yet ;-)
A lot of the groundwork will be in place when 4.11.0 is released and Jeremy is working hard on getting things like Unix extensions to work with SMBv2 and later. None of this has anything to do with Network Browsing, this is dead and has been replaced by Network Discovery.

mattmiller

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:59 am

Good luck! Windows networking is a severe PITA. I intermittently but quite frequently can't see the other Windows 10 machines on my network in the Windows network display!
+1
More chance of winning in a game of Global Thermonuclear War :)

LTolledo

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:57 am

mine is just simple addition to the global section of smb.conf

workgroup = PAYPERCONNECTWORKGROUP
wins support = yes
client max protocol = NT1 
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

ejolson

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:06 am

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:57 am
mine is just simple addition to the global section of smb.conf

workgroup = PAYPERCONNECTWORKGROUP
wins support = yes
client max protocol = NT1 
It would appear to me your workgroup name has more than 15 characters. Does that really work? Also, does anyone actually pay?

hortimech

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:13 am

Yes that NetBIOS domain name is too long, by 'RKGROUP'. You are limited to 15 characters :)

People really must get used to the lack of Network Browsing, the protocols it relies on are going away and by default they will be deprecated in Samba 4.11.0 (the next, imminent version) and then, bit by bit, they will be removed in later versions. Start using different methods now.

Return to “Networking and servers”