mcmanuf

RPI4 - Bittorrent download speed (transmission)

Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi.

All previos versions of RPI had huge problems having sustainable download speeds due to usb2 shared USB and Ethernet bus, and where not suitable for high speed torrent downloads, which is why I changed to another brand.

I have a 1000/1000mbit/s internet speed, so ISP speed is not a bottleneck in any case, so how much a sustainable download speed would i get with a 1gb/2gb/4gb rpi4 download with torrents. I specifically use transmission client.

I had changed to Odroid HC1, and eventhough it has dedicated gigabit and 2gbram, sata, and a good processor, i only got around 30MB/s (~240mbit/s) with downloads/transmission.

If the Pi4 does much better, I might be tempted to go back :D

Anyone has any results, or can make some benchmarks.

Thanks.

mcmanuf

Re: RPI4 - Bittorrent download speed (transmission)

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Anyone with some input please :?:

itsmedoofer

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:56 am

Have you got a reference torrent, something legal, a distro or something, bit of a pointless exercise otherwise.

mcmanuf

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi not sure why you believe testing and understanding the limitations and bottlenecks of the different rpi "b" generations are a pointless exercise. The previous ones has all been tested in this regard and their usb shared bus bottleneck limitations are well known and studied.

This is all about learning and understanding possible use cases and where the rpi 4 falls short and where it excels compared ✌️ previous generations.

Anyone who wants to test this can create a local torrent from a big file >20gb at his home network desktop/laptop on a gbit LAN connection, and let the rpi 4 download from there. Thereby maximizing the stress on the rpi, as you are not dependent on your isp speed.
Thereby some interesting results can occur and new learning results can be archived for rpi 4.

For example can you keep 200, 500, or perhaps 1000mbit steady download speeds?
Or are the speed jumping between 100 and 500mbit etc etc, because of buffering, bad usb <>ethernet routing, not mature software etc etc..

Thanks

itsmedoofer

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:12 pm

I'm not saying that the process is pointless, I was going to offer to test on my 4, but just randomly picking torrents is not much of a basis for comparison.

thatchunkylad198966

Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:24 pm

I don't have the same ISP speed as you but I do pay for 200mbps and I get just over that, around 226mbps.
I also don't use Transmission, I use qbittorrent-nox.

If you want to test a download with a torrent client, grab Xubuntu's torrent file:

https://xubuntu.org/download

64bit or 32bit, doesn't matter. both of them max my line.
I'd say the Pi4 will perform a lot better than the Odroid HC1. :mrgreen:
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

Return to “Networking and servers”