Oli4

Minecraft server locally fast, but publicly slow

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:54 pm

I don't really know if this has something to do with my raspberry pi or not, but I hope somebody has a solution

When I try running a minecraft server on my pi and connect to it via localhost or local ip it's fast. But when I connect via my public ip the server lags very hard, nothing updates. Is this some wrong setting on pi or something in the router/modem?

Thanks in advance

pcmanbob

Re: Minecraft server locally fast, but publicly slow

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:06 pm

As it runs just fine locally , I would say that your server running on the pi is fine and the router should not slow down any data that's being passed through it,
unless you have a lot of other things/people using the internet connection at the same time, its more likely your internet service that's the problem.

what sort of speeds have you got on your internet service ?

You are interested in up load speeds in this case as you are trying to send data from your pi server to a user on the web.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Oli4

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:25 pm

I have ordered a network switch so at the moment my pi use wifi.

I think I know the problem, I have a modem/router in one and an extra router.
The pi was connected with the all in one which has a download of 7.38 Mbps and an upload of 3.31 Mbps, while the extra router has a download of 410,43 Mbps and an upload of 40,14. So thanks and I think thats the problem

pcmanbob

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:08 pm

So first wifi would not be the best option because it is slower than a wired connection , no matter how good a connection you have because there are my hand shacking over heads on wifi.

Secondly having a second router connected to the first adds another NAT translation which will add to your delay and cause other problems ,

replacing it with a switch is a much better idea, you can then connect your pi with a wired connection to the switch which is connected to the router/modem so you should see full download and upload speeds.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help

HawaiianPi

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:15 pm

WiFi worked fine on my Creeper Pie SMP server when I was testing it.

What version of Minecraft, and which server software (mine is Java 1.12.2 and SpigotMC)?

Multiple routers can result in NAT3, which can affect gaming performance. I also don't understand how your "all in one" modem + router could be so much slower, since those gateway type devices are usually supplied by the ISP. :?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

pcmanbob

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:37 pm

I also don't understand how your "all in one" modem + router could be so much slower, since those gateway type devices are usually supplied by the ISP
I took it as the modem/route was the first and faster device and the second router speeds were in fact Kbps and not Mbps and it was just a typo' because as you say having the second router being the faster did not make sense. :?

But I am only human and I don't wear a skirt so I could be wrong.

Oli4

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:39 am

The modem is a ziggo connectbox (ziggo is a dutch isp) and it has 4 ports on the back and the router is plugged in one of those ports.

All the speeds are over wifi and in Mbps so i hope that clears something up, I'm going to plug the ethercable from the pi into the modem.

Oli4

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:05 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:15 pm
What version of Minecraft, and which server software (mine is Java 1.12.2 and SpigotMC)?
I'm just running the spigot 1.13.2 java file

Oli4

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:11 pm

I have just run my old spigot 1.12.2 server on my gaming pc (high spec so no hardware issues) with the ethernet cable plugged in to the modem.
Download was 333.33 Mbps and Upload 37.30 Mpbs, but still the server is unplayable.

The guy from the isp who connected everything a few years a go did some wierd things, he configured the extra router as a bridge modem and than a long ethernet cable under the garden to the router in the shed. Can't you plug that cable straight into the modum and all the local ips stay the same.
I don't really want to reset every thing, because I don't know if it will work again.

This is my setup, maybe that helps

Oli4

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:19 pm

Is there a difference between using multiple ports on the back of the modem or connecting a switch to the modem

pcmanbob

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:31 pm

Oli4 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:19 pm
Is there a difference between using multiple ports on the back of the modem or connecting a switch to the modem
No as long a the switch is a giga bit switch it may be marled 10/100/1000mbps

I don't get why your server when connected to over the internet should be so slow then if it works correctly if you access it on the local network.

Return to “Networking and servers”