elsmandino

Connecting Smart TV to internet with RPi1 Model B

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 am

Hello.

I have a Samsung Smart TV that has ethernet only, in a room with network outlets.

I have a spare RPi1B to hand, with a USB wireless adapter attached.

Is there any way I can connect the TV to the Pi and then have the Pi connect to my home network?

scotty101

Re: Connecting Smart TV to internet with RPi1 Model B

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 am

It's been covered before on here, you bridge the WiFi and Ethernet interfaces.

viewtopic.php?t=132674
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

elsmandino

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:42 am

Thanks very much for that - if I do exactly what the instructions say, will this get things up and running?

I am very new to programming and am slightly worried that there are parts that I need to adapt for my own use, for example, what to add under Ethernet Static IP.

thagrol

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:07 pm

scotty101 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 am
It's been covered before on here, you bridge the WiFi and Ethernet interfaces.

viewtopic.php?t=132674
Technically, that's forwarding not bridging.

While your TV will be able to make outbound connections and recieve related data you won't be able to initiate connections to the TV from elsewhere on your network. SO don't ecpet to be able to cast content from devices to your TV.
I have a Samsung Smart TV that has ethernet only, in a room with network outlets.
Did you mean "without" rather than with?

And have you considered powerline networking? One at the TV, one near the router.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

elsmandino

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:56 pm

Apologies for the confusion - I did indeed mean to write that the room with the TV has no network sockets in it.

The reason for my query is that I am thinking of hard-wiring my home with ethernet but it is going to take a few months before I am able to get round to it.

My son would like to use the smart TV in his room now so I thought I could use the Pi as a temporary measure - I am not sure I could justify the expense of Power Adapters for such a short period.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:47 pm

elsmandino wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:56 pm
Apologies for the confusion - I did indeed mean to write that the room with the TV has no network sockets in it.

The reason for my query is that I am thinking of hard-wiring my home with ethernet but it is going to take a few months before I am able to get round to it.

My son would like to use the smart TV in his room now so I thought I could use the Pi as a temporary measure - I am not sure I could justify the expense of Power Adapters for such a short period.

£25 for Powerline Adaptors ???

https://www.ebuyer.com/780283-tp-link-p ... 0kit-v1-20
Retired disgracefully.....

Paul Webster

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 am

another way to achieve similar result is to treat the Pi as something like a Smart TV and the TV as a dumb screen.
You could do this by installing Kodi on the Pi (along with some plugins such as “iplayer" to access BBC content.
Possible to get YouTube working but perhaps not so easy for Netflix or Amazon Prime.

elsmandino

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:47 am

To be fair, £25.00 isn't too bad.

If I cannot get the Pi working, this weekend, I think I might just go for one of those - I really want to get my Pi working with this now, just out of interest.

One thing that is bugging about me the instructions is the use of IP addresses.

My router IP address is 192.168.1.1.

So, in the instructions, under Ethernet Static IP, would I add:

Code: Select all

#iface eth0 inet manual
allow-hotplug eth0  
iface eth0 inet static  
    address 192.168.1.50
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.1.1
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
and under dnsmasq setup, would I add:

Code: Select all

interface=eth0      # Use interface eth0  
listen-address=192.168.1.1 # Explicitly specify the address to listen on  
bind-interfaces      # Bind to the interface to make sure we aren't sending things elsewhere  
server=8.8.8.8       # Forward DNS requests to Google DNS  
domain-needed        # Don't forward short names  
bogus-priv           # Never forward addresses in the non-routed address spaces.  
dhcp-range=192.168.1.50,192.168.1.150,12h # Assign IP addresses between 172.24.1.50 and 172.24.1.150 with a 12 hour lease time  

thagrol

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:15 am

elsmandino wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:47 am
So, in the instructions, under Ethernet Static IP, would I add

<snip>
You could but there is no need to use IP adresses in the same range as your router. The TV and the pi's ethernet are not on the same subnet as the router. I'd use a different address range for those as it'll save confusion down the line when you need to do any maintenance.

The pi will be doing the same job between the TV and the rest of your network that your router does between devices on your network and the internet.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

Return to “Networking and servers”