walash

Pinet on ubuntu 18.04

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:49 pm

I have installed Pinet on Ubuntu 18.04 in Oracle VirtualBox and created about 8 users. My RPI B+ has the PiBoot files on a 32Gb SDHC card and i get a login screen when i boot it up. Yet when i type any username and pwd i get an "invalid password error" . i created a csv file and imported the users into Pinet and when i boot the server i see all the users. but i always log in with the main username.

What am i doing wrong or is Pinet not ready for Ubuntu 18.04?
Could the log in issue be because i'm using Oracle VirtualBox instead of installing Ubuntu on a desktop / laptop / server?

I created another host in Oracle VirtualBox with 16.04 yet the Pinet install always fails at the end stage with an error " the install has encountered an error and i need to install Ubuntu anew and install pinet again".

I'm stuck now. May day may day :shock: :shock: :shock:

ejolson

Re: Pinet on ubuntu 18.04

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:55 am

walash wrote:
I have installed Pinet on Ubuntu 18.04 in Oracle VirtualBox and created about 8 users. My RPI B+ has the PiBoot files on a 32Gb SDHC card and i get a login screen when i boot it up. Yet when i type any username and pwd i get an "invalid password error" . i created a csv file and imported the users into Pinet and when i boot the server i see all the users. but i always log in with the main username.

Could the log in issue be because i'm using Oracle VirtualBox instead of installing Ubuntu on a desktop / laptop / server?

I created another host in Oracle VirtualBox with 16.04 yet the Pinet install always fails at the end stage with an error " the install has encountered an error and i need to install Ubuntu anew and install pinet again".

Have you made any progress with this? The developer is active on this forum and usually responds quite quickly. I've posted a link to this thread at

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=241148&p=1477048#p1477048

in case he missed your request for help?

Gbaman

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:31 pm

walash wrote:

Whoops, dropped off the forums for a few days (to launch a weather balloon with some schoolkids of all things) and I miss a PiNet question :D
Thanks @ejolson for the poke out.

This one is certainly an odd one, not heard of anyone having issues like this in a while.
A few things to try

- Run the "Refresh-System" option in the "Other" menu in PiNet.
- Run the following command on the PiNet server in a terminal
sudo ltsp-update-sshkeys
Followed by running the "NBD-recompress" in the "Other" menu in PiNet
- If the above 2 ideas don't work, can you try and SSH into the PiNet server from a Raspberry Pi running normal standalone Raspbian? Using a command like
ssh someusername@serveripaddress
The key thing to check is if that lets you log in or not.

Let me know how you get on with the above. If none of them work, then we can move on to "Plan C".
Lead developer of PiNet, a free and opensource centralised user accounts and file storage system for Raspberry Pi classrooms used in over 200 schools across the world.
http://pinet.org.uk

walash

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:26 am

Thanks to you both for the help. I'll be running the commands given and will update you with outcomes. fingers crossed i get this sorted

walash

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:03 am

So i ran the commands suggested but now i can't get a log on screen on my RPI. So i blew away the Virtual Ubuntu 18 and 16 and installed Ubuntu 18 on the bare PC (a core i7 desktop with 100GB space; this is a multi-boot device with Windows 8 and Raspian for Desktop). I am now trying to install Pinet and when i run sudo bash pinet the window starts up. However i keep getting an error message:The auto update failed. This usually means you aren't connected to the internet

walash

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:44 pm

i nhave installed ubuntu 18.04 on a barebone desktop and no other OS. I then installed PiNet successfully and copied the boot files to a 4GB SdHC card.
booting up runs through and then gives this message:
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

what am i doing wrong? i haven't been able to complete one Pinet installl since May (either using Oracle Virtual or a barebone install). Helllllllllllllllllllp

Gbaman

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:36 pm

walash wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:44 pm
i nhave installed ubuntu 18.04 on a barebone desktop and no other OS. I then installed PiNet successfully and copied the boot files to a 4GB SdHC card.
booting up runs through and then gives this message:
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

what am i doing wrong? i haven't been able to complete one Pinet installl since May (either using Oracle Virtual or a barebone install). Helllllllllllllllllllp
So that looks like simply the PiNet running Pi can't see the PiNet server on the network. That line you describe isn't actually of any relevance, it just runs x seconds after startup, no matter what :)

Can you check that the IP address inside the cmdline.txt file on the Pi SD card matches the IP address at the top of the PiNet software window on the server?
Check the boot issues troubleshooting video here for a bit more of a step by step process - http://pinet.org.uk/articles/troublesho ... ssues.html

Also, make sure your PiNet server is connected into a network switch (with a router or something else handing out IP addresses, aka a DHCP server) on it as well. Directly connected into the back of the server won't work.

Let me know if that helps.
Lead developer of PiNet, a free and opensource centralised user accounts and file storage system for Raspberry Pi classrooms used in over 200 schools across the world.
http://pinet.org.uk

Return to “Networking and servers”