ThatSlimeGuy

Hi! neighborhood Pi chatroom?

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 pm

So I had an idea, I have been looking for a new project and I live in an apartment complex, I have NEVER spoken to any of my neighbors to be honest..... and I wanted to do something with my set of new pi's I have a few extra wifi connectors, I thought, well why not make a pi dedicated to being publicly accessible, but to be used for chatting with neighbors? there would be no connection to my internet though for security reasons.... and there would be no important data and I would like to set it up in a way that would not store any user data.....
So what I am thinking is making it force an authentication page onto the browser of the user who connects to the "chatroom" wifi, but instead of an authentication page it is a chatroom being hosted locally on the pi, I can boost the signal by leaving a Pi in my truck to extend it a bit but for now I am only going to think of using this to talk to my closer neighbors that notice the bizarre new wifi network.

But i really don't know how to setup a forced authentication page, so it would be really nice to get some input here! and also if anyone sees a potential security issue with this(outside social) please let me know!

DarkPlatinum

Re: Hi! neighborhood Pi chatroom?

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:28 pm

To do this, your will have to make you Raspberry Pi an Access Point. This allows people to connect locally to your pi, but the pi is not connected to the outside world.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

fruitoftheloom

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:20 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:28 pm
To do this, your will have to make you Raspberry Pi an Access Point. This allows people to connect locally to your pi, but the pi is not connected to the outside world.

LMFTFY

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md
Retired disgracefully.....

100xyz

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:04 am

Hi,
Our product does exactly this. 100-xyz.com

Currently we are in testing and can allow you to use our system for free.

Things you will need : a pi, at least 16GB Sd card and a Lan connection to your router. We can supply the image that you can burn on the sd card and use. We could use your feedback, bug / user reports.

Let me know if its of interest to you
Cofounder 100-xyz.com
Platform for local information via WiFi

Return to “Networking and servers”