ebaierl

Powered USB hub for server setup

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:39 am

I'm going to be setting up a few Pi3s, maybe 3 B+ if I can get some, but I'm running into an issue with power. I would prefer to be able to connect them all to a powered USB hub and have them all run off one small hub instead of having a bunch of power adapters. Trouble is, I'm having trouble finding a USB hub that can output 2.5 amps over all the ports. I know most USB hubs have either 1.2 amps 2.1 amps, but I'd prefer to have the full 2.5 amps if possible.

I'm probably going to be getting the stacking case that holds four or more Pi boards, so if I can hook them all up, add hard drives, and have the Pis themselves powered off a single USB hub, that would be ideal. We are also doing this in an RV, where space is limited, which is why I want to do it in the way that takes up as little space as possible.

I've already found 1.5 foot ethernet cables, so that's easy enough, but if I could somehow make everything into as small a space as possible, hide it away in a closet and leave it, that's what I want. I'm also hoping that I could just write a script to someone shut them all down from my laptop, and then when we get to our destination, I can just turn on the hub and turn them all back on.

drgeoff

Re: Powered USB hub for server setup

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:48 am

There isn't any reason for manufacturers to make USB hubs that will supply the current that you need to all the ports.

However there is no shortage of PSUs with multiple outputs which can supply high current. For example items like https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PK1IIJY are available from several makers in 4, 5 and 6 output versions and various power ratings.

ebaierl

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:07 pm

I have one of those at our home base, waiting to get home to set it up. I wasn't sure if those were even 2.5amps either or 2.1. With something like that, if I could some how connect it to a power switch, then I could power down everything and shut it off, then flip the switch and power it all back up and hope it all works and boots in and starts their apps.

sora03

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:29 am

You may want to use step down voltage regulator such as MP1584 which has theoretically up to 3A current. I just converted a non powered hub to a powered hub by using a laptop charger and this step down voltage converter.
FLOSS enthusiast, Debian user (linux-libre)

Return to “Networking and servers”