bjmarty

Dual-Homed Pi

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:27 pm

I'm working on a project to determine if I can detect a dual homed device on my network. Currently we have a testbed network built consisting of raspberry pis. I was wondering, does anyone knew if I could dual home a raspberry pi or if I had to go another route for this host?

What I really want is one host on my network with two IPs/MACs. If anyone has any thoughts on how to set this up I would appreciate it. Thanks!

HiroProtagonist

Re: Dual-Homed Pi

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:52 pm

Simplest way would be to add a wifi dongle to a Pi.

bjmarty

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:04 am

I hadn't seen that product before. Raspberry Pis are completely new to me. The other option I'd seen doing some research is adding a USB to Ethernet adapter.

stderr

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:44 am

bjmarty wrote: Currently we have a testbed network built consisting of raspberry pis.
And then:
I hadn't seen that product before. Raspberry Pis are completely new to me.
Huh?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:37 am

bjmarty wrote:I hadn't seen that product before. Raspberry Pis are completely new to me. The other option I'd seen doing some research is adding a USB to Ethernet adapter.
Yes a USB - Ethernet Adaptor would work, though how you configure depends on the Linux Operating System installed.
Retired disgracefully.....

bjmarty

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:55 pm

stderr wrote:
bjmarty wrote: Currently we have a testbed network built consisting of raspberry pis.
And then:
I hadn't seen that product before. Raspberry Pis are completely new to me.
Huh?
I'm jumping in on the project after the test bed has already been already built. So, this is all new to me and I'm trying to learn all I can about the Pis. I appreciate any help.

bjmarty

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:56 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
bjmarty wrote:I hadn't seen that product before. Raspberry Pis are completely new to me. The other option I'd seen doing some research is adding a USB to Ethernet adapter.
Yes a USB - Ethernet Adaptor would work, though how you configure depends on the Linux Operating System installed.
Thanks! I think this is the way I'll have to go.

Slackware

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:18 pm

Only way to tell if a system is dual homed would be to access it's routing tables and look for other routes. Even looking for other ethernet devices wouldn't tell you as you can have them and they not be used, or be configured for fault tolerance. The other network could be for a virtual machine, so even routing tables is no proof of a real second host.
so telnet/ssh/rpc call would be needed. So you would need account access to tell, so no real way to detect if system is multi homed.
I guess you could spoof some network traffic to a known IP, and see if the device forwards it on other network.

Return to “Networking and servers”