Doctorwho8

Setting up an anonymous ftp server

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:44 am

Hello!
Okay, I need to setup an alternate ftp server. I chose the Raspberry Pi here, since it's also going to be running as an alternate webserver and naturally the choices came up as proftpd instead of the basic ftpd service. (On the fellow who's doing that, I normally run ncftpd but since that's not really free software as normally described by Debian its not available, and I do not recall seeing that one available on the company service. SPARC was so I went for that one for that fellow.)

Any suggestions for setting that one up as an anonymous server?

I enabled its defaults for a typical anonymous functions, and naturally it didn't recognize my e-mail address for the purposes of logging in as a test function. :!:

Basically the system who normally does both, a Sun SPARC UltraSPARC 5 box who runs headless, does do all of that, and the thing who's working as its head will be configured to be doing quote something else, unqoute, and that's why I'm interested in setting this up.

Incidentally before anyone asks, the ftp service here is internal only. That is its not routed to the outside world.
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

rpdom

Re: Setting up an anonymous ftp server

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:11 am

You have loads of choices. Try "apt-cache search -n ftp server" to get a list of options. Personally, for simplicity, I'd install the basic "ftpd", as it "just works" and can handle anonymous requests with very little configuration.

The proftpd is a little heavy for basic use. Well, the configuration is anyway. I started looking at that one some years back because one of the original developers is a friend of mine, but I decided not to use it for the trivial stuff I was doing at the time.

Return to “Networking and servers”