Tony-d

Word press image cropping on the pi?

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:54 pm

Guys I not sure if this is the correct place to post this, It seems like a word press issue but (I think it’s a rights issue with my pi.) I just loaded word press 5.2.4 on my new pi 4 b, every time I try to crop an image in word press I get the error “There has been an error cropping your image.” What I have found on the web regarding this is that you need to upgrade the PHPO with I have done. Also sudo apt-get upgrade & update have been done, and I have given full rights to /var/www/html/ with the command, sudo chmod -R 777 /var/www/html, but I’m not sure how any of this works. I’m logging in to word press as un Tony. So how would the pi os even know who WordPress is? Anyone know how I can get this working? Thanks

Andyroo

Re: Word press image cropping on the pi?

Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:16 pm

This is more a WordPress issue than a Pi one to be honest but:

1) The WordPress application runs under the www-data user no matter who you sign on to the Pi or WordPress. This is the default web server user for Raspbian and should not be mixed up with your WordPress user. The WordPress user only controls the abilities within the application, such as edit, post, delete etc.

2) Depending on your install instructions you may not have loaded an editor, the WordPress recommendation is the PHP module imagick to be installed.

3) Using 777 in a security change is very very risky - you are basically giving any user full access to an object :o Not the best security :lol:

Tony-d

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:51 pm

1: Thank you very much, that is some very us full information, I had no clue as to how the pi handed the accounts and spent a lot of time running down some dead end roads.
2: i did install imagick via: sudo apt-get install imagemagick
no help
3: you are 100% correct renegading 777 , It was a desperate shotgun attempt to fix an issue I do not understand.
4: Thank you again, you obviously have a very good understanding of how this hot mess works.

Andyroo

Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:28 pm

Slight issue - imagick is not the same as imagemagick :lol:

The first is a PHP suite that WordPress add-ins use for image manipulation and the second is a stand alone image manipulation program :roll:

If you have aPC background think of it this way:
imagick is like the routines in Word for basic editing of pictures within the document
imagemagick is like Paint

Note the above is a disservice to both imagick and imagemagick but it may help :lol:

Tony-d

Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:20 am

Thank you very much! It is working now!
Woo HOOOO!!!
:D

Return to “Networking and servers”