teeth_03

Netflix on Pi 2

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:35 am

So does the new Pi do anything for us for Netflix support? I was wondering if the Ubuntu distro that works on it is Netflix compatible.

ghans

Re: Netflix on Pi 2

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am

As Chromium does not have the Widevine EME and Google Chrome is only available for Ubuntu x86/x64 i guess nothing has changed.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Fidelius

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:08 pm

Netflix is still not supported AFAIK, "but" Amazon Instant Video can be used via the Kodi (formerly XBMC) package and a beta plugin also on the Pi1. Doesn't run yet on the Pi2 according to the Q&A thread.

OK, this wasn't your original question but I think this recent Kodi step could sooner or later also mean Netflix support. Because this little beta plugin for Kodi overcomes the Flash or Silverlight nonsense in Amazon by using a native Linux solution, so why not also for Netflix in the future?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:07 pm

Don't expect netflix on the Pi (or in kodi on any platform) until Netflix changes its DRM requirements.

They will only allow Netflix on a "secure" platform which makes it very hard to support Netflix and also allow the "bare metal" hacking on a single platform.

bobbydriver

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:49 pm

What about when they release Win10 for the Pi2?

ghans

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:43 pm

If i understand dom correctly , just the idea that you are
still able to run any "uncontrolled" OS like Linux
on the Pi if you choose so ilks Netflix (IMHO its
more propable that Hollywood itself has this DRM fixation
and Netflix has to obey).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Fidelius

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:44 pm

dom wrote:Don't expect netflix on the Pi (or in kodi on any platform) until Netflix changes its DRM requirements.

They will only allow Netflix on a "secure" platform which makes it very hard to support Netflix and also allow the "bare metal" hacking on a single platform.
I didn't know this yet.

As an aside and not intented to derail the thread: How come Kodi works Linux-natively via the mentioned beta-plugin with the Amazon Instant Video DRM system?
Before this Kodi plugin we had to use on x86 Linux the old Linux Flash player and Zombie HAL to conform with Amazon's Flash DRM. And then all the movies were SD resolution because of the DRM.
Now with the Kodi plugin we can have DRM'ed Amazon Instant Videos in full HD in Kodi on x86 and Pi Linux. Amazing, I think. Not so with Netflix, you say. A pity.

RaTTuS

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:53 pm

bobbydriver wrote:What about when they release Win10 for the Pi2?
it is not what you expect
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Joe Schmoe

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:03 pm

RaTTuS wrote:
bobbydriver wrote:What about when they release Win10 for the Pi2?
it is not what you expect
Indeed. Explaining that the "Windows that runs on the Pi" is not really Windows at all (it is "WINO" [*]), is probably what has been and what is going to chew up mass quantities of bandwidth over the coming weeks.

[*] WIndows in Name Only.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

default_user8

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Here is a good article explaining "Free" windows os.
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... content%29
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

grizzybear

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:36 am

yes

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:07 pm

One curious coincidence struck early in the Ars Technica article...

RT was announced, basically, a month before the original RPi launch. Now the "Win10 on Pi 2" is announced with the Pi2B launch. I think the RPF is making more progress tha MS is.

sirhawkeye

Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:42 pm

FYI. I don't think that Windows 10 will be able to be used for web browsing on the PI 2, from what I've read, so even if you can get your Pi 2 networked and a browser to run, I don't think that it will let you browse the web. Nor can you use Office apparently. It is designed mainly for basic networking projects and programming, from what sources say.

I, myself, was hoping that it would, so that I could have it as a Netflix/Hulu streamer to my TV and have a "public" computer people could use to do Internet stuff on. Apparently, this is not the case according to Microsoft and many other sources.

However, i did actually find video on Youtube on how to supposedly get Netflix content to your Pi (I guess there is a free app that interprets and sends the netflix content to your Pi--after you verify you have a streaming account with netflix). I have not tried this myself, and am not sure if it is available in the US (the video appears to be from the UK or somewhere else). I think it's also an add-in for openelec as well, so it's not a standalone app.

I think that if Netflix and Hulu get on board with the Pi and Raspbian or RaspBMC, then they could expand their presence into the new hobbyst micro-computing marketing. I understand that there are DRM concerns, and I think that's what mainly drives Netflix and Hulu to not release add-ons for RAspbian or this market, but if they could, that would be wonderful. After all, the Pi is based on the VideoCore IV processor, which is used in many media playing devices anyway.

ghans

Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:55 pm

AFAIK the streaming approaches all use a software called PlayOn which has to run on an extra Windows PC.
It costs around 60 $ . So far i know the essential Netflix "re-streaming" functionality has been
broken soon after the first guides had been written for this work-around. And it can't be fixed since DRM gets in the way.

ghans

mascondante

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:11 pm

I think the ARM version of the Chrome book can do netflix. If that's correct could the files be manually put into Chromium like PepperFlash on the RPi2?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:20 pm

mascondante wrote:I think the ARM version of the Chrome book can do netflix. If that's correct could the files be manually put into Chromium like PepperFlash on the RPi2?
Definitely not as the "Linux" Version of Netflix Client requires the Google Chromes Browser to have Encrypted Media Extensions.

AFAIAA ARM Chromium Browser does not have support for EME http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/04/htm ... tflix.html

Though if you can get the PPAPI plugin to workeveryone would be grateful. ;)

https://github.com/Netflix/NfWebCrypto
Retired disgracefully.....

Mequa

Sat May 30, 2015 5:11 am

dom wrote:Don't expect netflix on the Pi (or in kodi on any platform) until Netflix changes its DRM requirements.

How about if a community-produced driver stack for Android for the Pi 2 is finally created based on the open source graphics stack, as suggested is possible by Eben Upton in this video? Would that be able to satisfy Netflix DRM requirements? (Note that an unaccelerated Android KitKat is already available and working e.g. on BerryBoot, allowing dual-boot or multi-boot with Raspbian, Ubuntu and/or OpenELEC on the Raspberry Pi 2.)

DougieLawson

Sat May 30, 2015 9:11 am

Android on the RPi isn't discussed on this forum take a look at https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/android-rpi then come back here when you realise that Android isn't ever going to happen.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 30, 2015 9:22 am

DougieLawson wrote:Android on the RPi isn't discussed on this forum take a look at https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/android-rpi then come back here when you realise that Android isn't ever going to happen.
EU did state in the Video that IF Eric's Graphics Stack is implemented then "Android" is feasible.

Though how many developers would spend the time and effort as well as support is debatable, in the aforementioned video EU stated it was not an RPF goal.

Most of the requests for Android OS appear to come from End Users not Developers ;)
Retired disgracefully.....

dom

Sat May 30, 2015 10:43 am

Mequa wrote: How about if a community-produced driver stack for Android for the Pi 2 is finally created based on the open source graphics stack, as suggested is possible by Eben Upton in this video? Would that be able to satisfy Netflix DRM requirements? (Note that an unaccelerated Android KitKat is already available and working e.g. on BerryBoot, allowing dual-boot or multi-boot with Raspbian, Ubuntu and/or OpenELEC on the Raspberry Pi 2.)
Android is not sufficient to support Netflix. There are additional DRM requirements such as a secure boot scheme which would stop us being able to support some bare metal use cases.

RDSweb

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:14 pm

I was wondering about this too. Netflix on Pi 2. I know there is Netflix app for Android and Amazon TV Fire. Why not on Raspberry Pi 2?

drgeoff

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:35 am

RDSweb wrote:I was wondering about this too. Netflix on Pi 2. I know there is Netflix app for Android and Amazon TV Fire. Why not on Raspberry Pi 2?
At the end of the day it boils down to Digital Rights Management. That requires a "secure" platform and the RPi does not qualify.

ffleandro

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:00 pm

drgeoff wrote: At the end of the day it boils down to Digital Rights Management. That requires a "secure" platform and the RPi does not qualify.
I can always Root my Android device. Does that make DRM block Netflix content?

dom

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:29 pm

ffleandro wrote:
drgeoff wrote: I can always Root my Android device. Does that make DRM block Netflix content?
Having root access doesn't give you access to secure memory, so you'd actually need more than root access to defeat DRM.
But I suspect Netflix wouldn't license a platform with a known root exploit, but if the exploit if discovered after release there is not much they can do about it.

sparka

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:24 am

Snip found this on the net I have not had a chance to test this

Netflix with Raspberry Pi2 on Ubuntu.
Installation
Chromium v43.0.2357.134 or higher is needed to run Netflix, which is available for most ARM Linux distributions. You can check the version of Chromium
by typing “chromium-browser --version” in a Terminal window. Make sure to
upgrade Chromium if the version is lower than the requirement.
1. download the chrome OS recovery package at https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chromeo ... mp.bin.zip, then extract the .zip file.
2. Install the qemu-nbd package via the package installer available for the operating
system that you’re using. for example, here is the Ubuntu command for installing
qemu-nbd:
$ sudo apt-get install qemu-nbd
3. register the nbdprotocol:
$ sudo modprobe nbd max_part=16
4. mount the recovery image using qemu-nbd:
$ sudo qemu-nbd -r -c /dev/nbd0 /path/to/chromeos_6946.86.0_daisy-skate_\
recovery_stable-channel_skate-mp.bin
$ sudo mount -o ro /dev/nbd0p3 /mnt/an/empty/folder
5. copy the libwidevine files into the chromium library directory:
NETFLIX
uNDERLINuX
NETFLIX ON LINUX