Gnits

Photo Frame with multiple items at once

Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:45 pm

There are a lot of ideas about how to create a media photo frame with a raspberry pi.

What I am trying to do is to use the HDMI display to display a random picture (like all the others do) an inset of the current weather and a current clock.

Much like this.
XX YYYY
ZZ YYYY

Everything I see shows things like how to show or transition pictures. One that shows how create a picture from the weather and display that on the screen. I imagine a clock display is out there but I have not yet looked.

I want to take the screen and logically carve it into a section to display the clock, the weather, and a rotating picture. The frame buffer usage seems to be one frame one image. Now, I think that would be ok if an image of what the current picture, the image of the weather (like the example I found) and an image of the current time could be melded into a temporary image and then displayed to the frame buffer.

If you have ever seen a Sony Dash or a Chumby, I am not looking to recreate them but they give good examples of the sort of layout I am looking to make.

Right now, I am looking at making this frame just for myself. But if I can make this work for my self, I want to make one for my parents and one for my wife's dad so we can upload new pictures and they will always have the updated pictures to display.

Gnits

Streetcat

Re: Photo Frame with multiple items at once

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:40 am

Hi. I've got a useless DASH. Did you get anywhere with yours?
Streetcat---pi user---Canada. The Pi is great!

matt@shagshaw.com

Re: Photo Frame with multiple items at once

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:32 pm

Use conky, its easily installable :

apt-get update
apt-get install conky

Then configure to your liking, its really powerful

Matt

Return to “Media centres”