Axolotl

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi version 7.50

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:07 am

Paul Webster wrote:Is there a chance that Squeezelite is running and has taken control of the card already?
I guess so...

Should've done the sound test before I did the Squeezelite installation. Told you you're dealing with an idiot.

I'll try using Squeezelite and see if it works. Thanks.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but do you realise that what I wrote is not what I meant?

Axolotl

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:17 pm

Re Squeezeplug test sound not working.

I tried just running it with SqueezeLite installed, and it works fine with my PC-Based Logitech Media Server.

I had to adjust the Squeezelite buffer size to get it to play without stuttering, but it has been playing for an hour now with no problem.

Thanks.

Now, about doing the same with a Pi B+ and the new Cirrus Logic / Wolfson card...

Can anyone tell me what the latest state is concerning drivers and a Squeezeplug build for that configuration? I tried installing from the same Squeezeplug 7.50 image, but when I installed the Wolfson drivers and rebooted, I have no keyboard or network via WiFi on USB. I can't login at the first prompt after the boot sequence ends.

I'm using a USB hub at the moment, as the B didn't have enough USB ports, but I'll try again with the B+ built-in ports.

In the mean time, is this supposed to work, or am I waiting for some new Squeezeplug build?

Thanks again.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but do you realise that what I wrote is not what I meant?

Man in a van

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:42 pm

This post is a cobbled together one from the 'Wam forum and from this forum.

It details a solution for installing the old version of SqueezePlug on the B+ . (Not with the Wolfson card, but it might work).

I wondered if it might work for the current problems (as they seem the same).

Good Luck

atb

Ronnie

Here it is:-

scroll down to Slave2reason's post on the 7th of November where in his 2nd paragraph he explains the issue and has a link to be able to download the correct files. Just unzip the files and then copy and paste into your SD card containing the Squeezeplug Boot files, it will ask you to confirm the "Copy and Replace"

Remember to give Squeezeplug plenty time to boot up on initial start up, I didn't and it took me about 4 or 5 attempts and plenty muttering ( ok, cursing lol ) to get it all sorted purely because I didn't wait long enough. You will know it's working as the network lights will light up on the Pi B+

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... &start=400

Axolotl

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:18 am

Thanks for this, the new /boot files got the keyboard working, so at least I can login now, but no network (via USB wireless dongle) and several errors that fly off the screen during boot up that are probably relevant. (Are the boot displays logged anywhere so I can read them at my leisure?)

I've decided to go back to a clean Squeezeplug installation image and see if I can see at what stage it stops working exactly.

Does Thomas who wrote this stuff ever see this forum and comment?

Also, I don't quite understand the comment about giving squeezeplug time to boot? I thought once I got the login prompt and can run squeezeplug "setup" that was it?

Thanks.

Axolotl

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:23 pm

Update on Squeezeplug losing USB wireless etc.

I've gone back to the Squeezeplug 7.50 image and installed it and Squeezelite using the onboard Pi sound system, and Squeezelite has now been happily playing away for the last hour or so.

At some stage in the setup process, I lost the Wireless LAN connection, but I just rebooted and it was back again.

So, I think the problem is with the Wolfson sound card drivers drivers, which now need to be updated with the new Cirrus logic version for the new style Wolfson card.

I think I can get the new drivers from Cirrus Logic, but I have no idea how to install them without going through the Squeezeplug setup, which will install the wrong ones and screw up the USB network card again.

Any ideas? Is there a "how to install new drivers in Linux" tutorial anywhere?

bobbydriver

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:55 am

Wow - just seen that the Raspbery PI 2 B is out now - for less than £30

It has 1GB RAM and a quad core CPU - so in theory Squeezeplug should fly

The marketing spiel says that everyting else is the same as the B+ model, so I hope that you can get an image of SP working for this new RRP2 model.

I've ordered one now while they are in stock!

bobbydriver

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Got my RP2 but the latest 7.5 image doesn't work - won't boot

I've added the latest firmware revisions to it manually, and I've got it booting now, so going through the setup - or I will finish tomorrow. Been a long day!

Trixster

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 pm

What's performance like?

bobbydriver

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:35 am

Not done any true testing yet - been busy trying to get everything else set up the same as on my old pi

That said - the first full scan of my music library (70,500 songs) took about 6 hours (usually it's nearly 9 hours) and a "look for new & changed files" scan when there are no changes took 20 minutes when it used to take 25 minutes minimum.

Also - not installed multi-library yet, so that may slow things back down again. Therefore the jury is still out

Performance on the player seems snappier when it's doing queries.

I'm also in the dark as to whether I need to do anything to optimise the CPU and memory as the current SP image doesn't have any options for the new Pi2

southafricanrob

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:19 am

Does anyone have a suggestion of how to ad DLNA client capabilities to squeezeplug (specifically for video). I am using my Pi primarily for multiroom audio and Squeezeplug is just perfect for that. I have the miniDLNA server running and easy to pop video's on the attached drive.
Right now I am using a chromecast to play the video files but figured if the Pi is plugged straight into the TV with HDMI anyway there must be a way to play the video's directly on the Pi? Of course something like XBMC/OpenElec would do this fine but I want to keep the Pi running Squeezeplug...

bobbydriver

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:52 am

I used to do just this, although not as a minidlna client.

I had the squeezeplug sat next to the old CRT TV (connected to my NAS via wifi) - and installed OMXplayer on the squeezeplug (on top of the standard SP image)

There were several phone apps out there which then allowed me to control OMXplayer via a web interface. Worked pretty well.

Then I bought a Smart TV which had a built in dlna client, so moved the Pi back to a wired connection next to the router and installed minidlna instead. Works just as well, but you get the menus on the TV rather than having to use a smartphone

bencat

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:33 pm

I have just received a new Pi 2 but can not get the 7.5 to load what do I need to do ? Does anyone know if Thomas is going to make a Squeezeplug version that is compatable with the Pi2 ? I see above that some said they updated the firmware and got it to work but not sure how to do this any suggestions ?

Trixster

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:47 pm

It sounds like squeezeplug is benefitting from the increased speed of the new processor but isn't making use of the extra cores. Not surprising really. It'll be interesting to know if if can be recompiled to be multithreaded.

Man in a van

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:32 pm

bencat wrote:I have just received a new Pi 2 but can not get the 7.5 to load what do I need to do ? Does anyone know if Thomas is going to make a Squeezeplug version that is compatable with the Pi2 ? I see above that some said they updated the firmware and got it to work but not sure how to do this any suggestions ?

Hi Andrew, how you doing? ;)

During the Squeezeplug install there is an option to update the pi.

I think it is reached by clicking on Advanced (can't rember exactly)

If that does not work it is possible to SSH into the pi and do an update, if you search you will find the commands to use.

Or pm bobbydriver and ask, I'm sure he will help.

atb

Ronnie

meza

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Can someone offer some assistance getting SqueezePlug 7.5 running on a Pi 2 please.

When I try to boot SqueezePlug the Pi just shows the rainbow bootscreen, nothing actually starts to boot.
If I try loading Raspbian that works fine. I only have a Pi 2.

What can I try?
Thanks!

Man in a van

Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:38 pm

This is from a post on another forum (ontWam Andrew).

One needs another pi apparently, and perhaps a spare SD card, or a back up.

I don't know if it will work so use at your own discretion and risk.

Apparently some people did this with the previous Squeezeplug versions to enable them to work on the B+.

i am running Squeezeplug and Squeezelite on it.
easy to do if you have an old RPi around ... simply
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
using the old one ... then move the micro-SD card to the RPi2

It it is still a bit "bleeding edge" though - so either eait a bit or make sure that you have a back-up of your working SD card first.

Good Luck

Ronnie

meza

Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:46 pm

Thanks Ronnie, I don't have another Pi but I'll see if I can get hold of one to try that.

Man in a van

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:52 pm

I'm not sure if you need a B or a B+.

Man in a van

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:12 pm

Man in a van wrote:I'm not sure if you need a B or a B+.

Link to original post # 30.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.ph ... ost2032995

bobbydriver

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:10 am

Yes - the SP image just gave me the rainbow screen

In fact - most of the images from the Raspberry Pi site wouldn't load initially, as I got my Pi2 next day delivery after the release date, so not all of them had been updated

In the end I found the image on the RP site that did work, and then compared the boot files to the SqueezePlug image, copying across all those that had been more recently updated. Very dirty and probably not the best way but it worked.

As the other poster says - the best way to do it is to update the SD card in an old Pi to get all the latest Pi2 compatible files and then move it across, but it's a strange chicken/egg scenario that I'm suprised the makers didn't anticipate or warn about. Would have been more sensible to have the Pi2 boot into some sort of init mode using the old firmware, and updating itself from there

Man in a van

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:02 am

bobbydriver wrote:Yes - the SP image just gave me the rainbow screen

In fact - most of the images from the Raspberry Pi site wouldn't load initially, as I got my Pi2 next day delivery after the release date, so not all of them had been updated

In the end I found the image on the RP site that did work, and then compared the boot files to the SqueezePlug image, copying across all those that had been more recently updated. Very dirty and probably not the best way but it worked.

As the other poster says - the best way to do it is to update the SD card in an old Pi to get all the latest Pi2 compatible files and then move it across, but it's a strange chicken/egg scenario that I'm suprised the makers didn't anticipate or warn about. Would have been more sensible to have the Pi2 boot into some sort of init mode using the old firmware, and updating itself from there

bobbydriver, is it possible for you (when convenient) to post expanded details of how you did this?.

If you could include a list of files to change (and how you did that) it would be very helpful to other people, especially if they only have the one 'pi.

If lack of time precludes you doing so, that fine, you have already provided enough information to start folk in the right direction.

atb

Ronnie

bobbydriver

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:56 am

I think from memory, I downloaded the noobs 1.3.12 image from the RP site
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
and looked for boot files that had a date of 31st January or later

That was

bootcode.bin and then everything out of boot.tar.xz

Overwrote the corresponding files on the Squeezeplug image, and then it booted OK.

First thing I then did was run the Pi updates in the Squeezeplug setup routine, in order to grab anything else fundamental that might have been missing

I can't offer any warranty on this working for you, but it worked for me.

I'm sure that Thomas will be releasing a new dot release of Squeezeplug 7.5 soon that will boot a Pi2 straight away, but maybe he is waiting to get a Pi2?

Paul Webster

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Man in a van wrote:
Man in a van wrote:I'm not sure if you need a B or a B+.

Link to original post # 30.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.ph ... ost2032995
Which was me.

Trixster

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Well SqueezePlug 7.5 absolutely flies on an RPi 2!

Overclocked at 1Ghz it chewed through a full media rescan of my NAS in 6 minutes. A 1Ghz single core Pi used to take over 20, closer to 30!

On top of this LMS is massively more responsive in every department especially searches of the media database.

bobbydriver

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:16 am

How many tracks in your library?

Mine seems to be doing a weird thing on scan now where it sayd it can't find the playlists on the disk, so deletes them all

Then when it gets to the new playlists bit of the scan it adds them all back in again

Very odd - just wondering if it's now so fast it's not waiting for the disk to spin up before deciding they aren't there?

Return to “Media centres”