turncol

Home Videos Media Player

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:47 am

I'm a complete new comer to Raspberry Pi and looking for suggestions if my idea is feasible and the best tools to accomplish it.

I have all of my Grandparents Home Videos on VHS and Camcorder tapes that I'm currently converting to Digital format on my Mac (MP4, h.264 encoded). I would now like to build a small device to give to my extended family that will allow them to watch all of these converted videos on their TV's without the need for burning 100's of DVDs or simply handing them a external HDD and leaving them to work it out themselves.

I was planning on building a basic interface that would allow them to scroll through thumbnails of the video and filter based on Event, People, location.

Current plan is to store all the videos on a USB Drive connected to the Pi, store details of each video (Name, File Location, Event, People, Location tags) in an SQLite DB and build the interface in C# Winforms using Mono (as it is the only programming language I have some recent experience in) and using OMXplayer to play the clips

Wondering if the is a more sensible way to go about, possibly using XBMC or alternative media centre?

All suggestions will be welcome.
Thanks

ghans

Re: Home Videos Media Player

Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Have you already evaluated XBMC ? It is a media centre , and a huge lot of effort has already gone into it on the Pi platform.
I myself don't use it all , but perhaps others can suggest skins/plugins for your use case ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

abishur

Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:24 pm

I would also recommend XBMC. Since you're only going to have home media files, things can look pretty bland. All XBMC will show is a generic background as you scroll through your file names. Of course if you're already prepared to put some leg work into making things look pretty you can create your own .nfo file (just a text file with some info about your videos) that will create summaries/descriptors. If you want to get really crazy you could check out a program like media companion to add fan art or folder covers. There's a relevant post on life hacker that's worth the look here: http://lifehacker.com/5505849/how-to-wh ... -and-boxee
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

turncol

Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:44 am

Thanks, for the replies. I will take a closer look at XBMC before going any further.

So far I have confirmed that the some of the video that I have converted, will happily play on the Raspberry Pi and I'm happy with the quality (as far as you can be from converted VHS!)

Return to “Media centres”