filou

Re: squeezeplug for raspberry pi is the business

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:52 pm

I've been having problems getting my squeezebox rpi to play iplayer streams. My LMS is resident on my synology NAS and it seems that my problem was caused by the way Synology package their version of the LMS.

In case any other people have this problem, I fixed it by following this guide http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 14#p198008

ddg

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Thomas,
How's the Raspbian image coming along? I have been very impressed with the XBMC distos based on Raspbian. There is supposedly improvements to the Alsa driver in the 3.2.21 kernel used for Xbian. With that said, excellent work and I am eager to see the next release.

Thanks

truehl

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:17 pm

ddg wrote:Thomas,
How's the Raspbian image coming along? I have been very impressed with the XBMC distos based on Raspbian. There is supposedly improvements to the Alsa driver in the 3.2.21 kernel used for Xbian. With that said, excellent work and I am eager to see the next release.

Thanks
The new SqueezePlug image will be based on Rasbian. It will have a lot of improvements and the scripts and it's complete structure will be renewed therefore there will be a version jump from 4.08 to 5.0. There will also be a lot of new features included. Everything is running very smooth in developing and most of the things already work. But I like to make this version a litle bit more perfect as all other versions of SqueezePlug before! And things have to run on all 4 different hardware platforms. So it takes some time! On the other hand I'm a bit busy in my job the next weeks and it's Holliday time! So you will have to wait I think four to six weeks from now on for the new release. But I guaranty, it's worth waiting!

Right now I see only 2 or 3 problems: get shairport to work, get an actual twonky server version running and getting an DLNA aware player running on RPi. Right now I have no solution for that!

Maybe someone of you have ?!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

ddg

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: shairport

Thomas,
Thanks for the update!

Yes shairport is a problem, I have been getting drop outs. I was hoping trying the hendrikw82 fork and net::sdp would be more promising but it still cuts out after a couple/few songs. If there are any of my logs would be helpful, let me know.

Thanks,
goodierdavid@gmail.com

truehl

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

ddg wrote:Tom this looks interesting
http://pi-raspberry.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... i.html?m=1
Hi ddg,
Thanks for this link! I have no access to my RPi for the next two weeks! Do you have time and fun to check this out!
truehl

ddg

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:32 am

The hendrikw82 fork on 3.2.21 was unreliable for for streaming from the iTunes (only a couple songs then dropped out) but it worked for Airfoil(mac) as a source. They must do something a bit different in the protocol for airfoil, it played for hours with a hiccup every couple songs.

The Albertz fork of shairport on 3.2.21 worked very well. Minor hiccups every couple songs but it keep playing with iTunes and Airfoil. I only tried it for about an hour on each source.

I didn't get the error message on either install from the link I posted earlier. So I didn't run:
rm /var/run/avahi-daemon/disabled-for-unicast-local

I haven't tried my iPhone as a source. I never stream more than a couple songs from it anyway because of my lms server setup. I like having the multiple zones playing. But when I get some time, I try it.

One thing I did that may be handy for some people: I ran a wav file via aplay using /etc/rc.local. If you are not running the pi constantly this gives you a sound to let you now the pi is ready to receive streams. i.e:
aplay /root/yourdirectory/yoursound.wav.

For the wheezy image I used, I also had the modprobe snd_bcm2835 and amixer cset=3 1 commands in the rc.local prior to the aplay command. I am sure someone has better way but I am very new at this.

halfabiscuit

Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Brilliant work on this truehl! I was trying to achieve squeeze stuff on my own on the pi and getting nowhere and then I came across your post and it has done it all for me!
One little issue - not specifically related to squeezeplug is that I have used a 16GB flash card but the image has configured it as 4GB:

root@squeezeplugrpi:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2 3.5G 2.0G 1.4G 59% /
tmpfs 110M 0 110M 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 160K 9.9M 2% /dev
tmpfs 110M 0 110M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 110M 84K 109M 1% /tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p1 75M 36M 40M 48% /boot

Is there a way I can reclaim my lost space. I know on the raspbian distro there is a menu where you can resize your flash card. Just not sure how to do this manually.

halfabiscuit

Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Not to worry, I have found instructions on how to do this.

ddg

Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Halfabiscuit,
Gparted on another Linux machine or using the gparted live cd(Mac or windows machine) is what I find to be the easiest method.

You could also try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4VovMDn ... ata_player

nekomatic

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:04 am

Newbie question - apologies if this should be obvious, but I'm new to the whole media server / Squeezebox topic.

If I have my iTunes library (in Apple Lossless format) on a network share, and set up a Raspberry Pi on the network running this Squeezeplug server, will that be able to access the music and playlists and make them available to one or more Logitech Squeezebox Touches on the same network?

Thanks!

halfabiscuit

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:12 am

I would think so - there is a menu option to mount a remote share on the squeezeplug (just run "setup"). This adds entries to your /etc/fstab file which is then mounted at boot each time.
I have done something similar - I have all my music stored on another linux machine on my LAN and I am streaming from it with no issues.

truehl

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:44 am

nekomatic wrote:Newbie question - apologies if this should be obvious, but I'm new to the whole media server / Squeezebox topic.

If I have my iTunes library (in Apple Lossless format) on a network share, and set up a Raspberry Pi on the network running this Squeezeplug server, will that be able to access the music and playlists and make them available to one or more Logitech Squeezebox Touches on the same network?

Thanks!
Yes, it's possible! You can host the files where ever you like. Local SD card, attached USB device, Samba or NFS are fine. In LMS you have an iTunes plugin, you can use if you like!
truehl

nekomatic

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:35 pm

truehl wrote:Yes, it's possible! You can host the files where ever you like.
Great, thanks!
In LMS you have an iTunes plugin, you can use if you like!
So I don't have to use it? Can someone tell me, or give me a link to, what the iTunes plugin is or does please? I've done quite a lot of searching and can't find out...

Also, while doing that searching I've seen that the Squeezebox Touch doesn't actually play Apple Lossless directly but requires the server to transcode it to FLAC. Will the Raspberry Pi have enough horsepower to do that?

truehl

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:00 pm

nekomatic wrote:
truehl wrote:Yes, it's possible! You can host the files where ever you like.
Great, thanks!
In LMS you have an iTunes plugin, you can use if you like!
So I don't have to use it? Can someone tell me, or give me a link to, what the iTunes plugin is or does please? I've done quite a lot of searching and can't find out...

Also, while doing that searching I've seen that the Squeezebox Touch doesn't actually play Apple Lossless directly but requires the server to transcode it to FLAC. Will the Raspberry Pi have enough horsepower to do that?
Take a Look here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/B ... _To_iTunes

I don't know but I don't think transcoding from ALAC to FLAC will work!
truehl

nekomatic

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Hmmm. Well I guess I can try it out with a software player before spending money on a Squeezebox Touch, if I can configure the player to require FLAC not ALAC (or force the server to transcode). I'll do some experimenting when my Pi arrives...

tbdromore

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi,
Quite new to this and am having problems getting my squeezeplug pi connecting to my linkstation nas, where my music is stored.

The linkstation is located at 192.168.0.200 and the music is on a \shared folder off this.

The option to configure the media library doesn't work - can't see the media on the lms web interface.

Is there any way to manually configure the pi to connect to my nas?

any help appreciated.
Trevor

truehl

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:02 pm

tbdromore wrote:Hi,
Quite new to this and am having problems getting my squeezeplug pi connecting to my linkstation nas, where my music is stored.

The linkstation is located at 192.168.0.200 and the music is on a \shared folder off this.

The option to configure the media library doesn't work - can't see the media on the lms web interface.

Is there any way to manually configure the pi to connect to my nas?

any help appreciated.
Trevor
First of all we have to know how you connect your NAS? Do you use Samba or NFS? I think it's Samba, but who knows!
truehl

castalla

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Sounds similar to my initial problem with an external samba server - I had to resort to adding a mount command in the fstab file using cifs.

It involved rewriting the image, & NOT using the Music Library option in setup.
Install LMS - then reboot with the new mount in fstab. Go to the LMS settings page and setup the music library from there. Works.

I added this to the fstab (you will need to modify for your setup):

//192.168.1.1/share/usb1_1 /music cifs guest

ps: a tip - install winSCP - makes editing files on the Pi easy, if you login as root

tbdromore

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks for the reply.

Currently I just connect to the NAS through my Windows machine...have mapped a network drive to the \shared folder ie 192.168.0.200\shared.

Is there another way to connect to it?

T

tbdromore

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:48 am

...and how would one go about carrying out the following:

"I had to resort to adding a mount command in the fstab file using cifs."

Thanks
T

castalla

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:09 pm

As I said:

Edit the fstab file (it's in /etc). Add the line:

//192.168.n.n/yoursharedfoldername /music cifs guest

here's a copy of my edit:

# This file describes how your music-library is connected to the
# SqueezePlug
#
# Your manual setting start here:
#
# For USB Fat/Fat32/Ext2/Ext3 drive edit the next line:
# /dev/sdxy /music auto rw,user,auto 0 0
#
# For USB NTFS drive edit the next line:
# /dev/sdxy /music ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
#
# For NFS Connection edit the next line:
# 192.168.2.100:/raid/data/iTunes_music /music nfs defaults 0 0
#
# For Samba Client Connection edit the next line:
# //192.168.2.10/samba /music smbfs username=<username>,password=<password>
//192.168.1.1/share/usb1_1 /music cifs guest

You'll have to modify the address //whatever to match your setup. This also assumes that there's no password to access the share.

I found it best to do this after you install LMS and do NOT use the Music Library feature in setup - I found that it added the mount address but never actually mounted. Once you have the edit done, then just reboot, and then go to the LMS settings and set the music library to /music

Also, as I said install winSCP on your PC - it'll make editing the Pi files much easier than trying to do it using a linux editor.

Hope that helps.

dimonic

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:54 pm

allactionrob wrote:@drmarkb: No, I hadn't been using -R, and I will certainly try it, but I don't think it will help. LMS can't even see the top level folder, let alone subfolders. And chmod fails with a 'permission denied' error which I think means that root doesn't have the user/group rights to make the change.

Curiously, when I use miniDLNA instead of LMS everything is fine and the folder is visible. But then I guess the miniDLNA process is started by a different user (who clearly has read permission), though I haven't checked...
You will need to run the command with "sudo" -

$ sudo chmod -R +rx *

tbdromore

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Castalla - Many thanks - will give this a go and let you know.
T

Return to “Media centres”