Tbam

RPi two links communication

Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:44 am

Hi,
I am new on this forum. I am working on a project but struggling with codes. I created a link between RPi and my laptop and i was able to stream video using vlc. Then i created an ad-hoc link between the laptop that linked the RPi and another laptop to enable same video on the second laptop but i couldn't. Can u help the the right codes please? error message: nothing to display

abishur

Re: RPi two links communication

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:36 pm

Sorry, there are a lot of details missing to really get a feel for what is going on.

Your basic setup is 2 laptops and a Pi, right?

What distro is running on the Pi?

Is the Pi the one doing the streaming of the video?

How is the first laptop connected to the Pi?

How is the second laptop connected to the Pi?

What program is being used to stream the video?

What USB devices are connected to the Pi?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Tbam

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks. I want to implement video streaming link between two mobile vehicles. I was able to communication RPi and laptop 1 via wireless using Netgear usb adapter plugged in to RPi. The RPi is running Raspbian and then stream video using the below command:
raspivid -o - -t 0 -n -w 800 -h 400 fps 25 | cvlc -vvv stream:///dev/stdin --sout '#rtp{sdp=rtsp://:8123/}' :demux=h264
I also created ad-hoc link between laptop 1 and 2 to display the stream video on laptop 1 to laptop 2 using another usb adapter (Edimax) on laptop 1 but struggling with the codes to get this done. I haven't been able to display the video stream from RPi to laptop 1 on laptop 2. Any idea please and i hope is clear now.

abishur

Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks for the additional info, that really clears things up! :D

So my understanding of how VLC does its streaming is limited, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in that area will follow up and fill in any gaps.

To the best of my knowledge it's not directly possible to take a stream you're receiving and send it back out to a second device. It's probably something you can do in general, but would require taking the stream and piping it to a secondary stream, which would be a lot of work for something that isn't necessary.

Instead I would let both the computer connect to the Pi either through a wireless access point, or by turning the Pi itself into a wifi access point, and let them both open the stream from the pi directly.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “Media centres”