hqi

B+ as media center

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Good day my fellow geeks, its my first time on this forum so forgive me if I made any errors. I have been thinking about using a Raspberry Pi as a media center and while doing some research before purchasing my Raspberry Pi I had a few questions. Based on an article I read they said that if I was streaming 720p videos from a computer on my network I will experience no issues however they did say if I stream 1080p i will experience issues so I was wondering if I attach a hard drive to my pi with all my 1080p videos if I will experience issues ? I don't think I should as long as I use the Raspberry Pi B and not A but its better to get the opinion from someone with experience in playing their 1080p videos. I have to get a XBMC remote and SD card also and I wanted to know what will I have to check to ensure they will be compatible.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: B+ as media center

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Locally attached devices will be fine. Wired ethernet should also be fine - the only problems I have seen is with wireless which is usually a bit slower. But for my ripped DVD collection, wireless works fine, that is only SD resolution of course.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

FuzzyToothpaste

Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:32 pm

What do you know about playing YouTube and Netflix? I have an older computer (2004) that can't play Netflix or YouTube, at least not very well. That makes me wonder if a Raspberry Pi can or if it will be just as bad as the older computer of myn. How well does a Raspberry Pi play YouTube?

jamesh

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:23 am

YouTube should work OK with the right browser.

Netflix requires DRM, so doesn't work, as DRM is not supported.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

abishur

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:00 pm

On the Netflix side of life, I've been trying out Pipelight on my Linux Mint laptop to watch netflix, it works by using wine to emulate silverlight in a standard browser. I have not tried it yet on a raspberry pi (I never go into the GUI, sorry) and would suspect it would be too demanding to enjoy the video you're trying to watch. It's worth testing and letting us know though.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

scred47

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:50 am

the latest chrome browser suports drm so no need for silverlight to play netflix anymore. It's working on my linux mint, I ' m curious to know if anybody tried with a PI

Return to “Media centres”