joemegahertz

portable media server usb drive or sd card?

Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:55 am

I am buidling a portable media center and before I put down cash on the final parts I was hoping for some advise.
A lil info:
Ras B
power source is a 7300Mah 2.1A 5v battery pack
tp-link wn722n wifi adapter
openelec running with the wifi card in AP mode
Im looking to start adding storage to this device approx 250-500 gig (more is always better) All usb attachments run from the Pi itself.
I can pull the amperage of the above hardware so that's not the problem, the storage media is.
Assuming I can use a 2.5 usbhdd (haven't tried yet) I know I can get anywhere from 250 gig to 2 tb
with a pull of approx 500MA but its a bit larger physically than i'd prefer.
So I was thinking of using a non powered hub with USB flash drives or converters with sd cards. I can't really figure out the power pull of these things. I know power per MB the USB drive will be cheaper but I'm not sure its the best option If I would need to split USB cables to get power seperately from my battery(or if my charger even supports 2 devices at once)

Any idea power usage wise or maybe a option I haven't thought of yet?

Thanx a lot

masterluke

Re: portable media server usb drive or sd card?

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:11 am

I haven't got any figures to back this up but I'm sure a drive with a spinning platter and other moving parts in a usb enclosure will use a lot more power than a usb memory stick. You will probably struggle to find reliable figures because manufacturers sometimes change parts in the internals of usb sticks so the figures could change from time to time. Why not see if you can borrow a hard disk (whip one out of a laptop) and a usb enclosure and compare for yourself.

joemegahertz

Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:57 am

I've done a little more testing. Borrowed a friends 500 gig drive runs fine however my 2tb can be finicky. If i don't automount it works fine. Give it a sec to spin up with power attached then I mount it. However I'm thinking if this is happening I am at the limit of what the Pi can do and I don't want to burn a fuse or cause some other damage. Tried with a (un)powered hub and a few usb sticks running around, hub had 7 ports and have had a assortment of usb sticks plugged in ranging from 2 gb to 32 gb usb 1.1 2.0 3.0. Ran fine. Im starting to wonder how small I can make a portable media server. A android stick and that new 1 tb usb drive?! Don't have that type of money but it would be cool to have something as portable as a diy satalite plus from seagate I believe.

HiroProtagonist

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:36 am

joemegahertz wrote: So I was thinking of using a non powered hub with USB flash drives or converters with sd cards.
SD cards are in general a lot slower than USB flash devices, so I'd avoid them.

lizardstuffryan

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:25 pm

I know this issue is probably resolved, but for future readers, san disk offers a flash drive called "cruzer fit". It is available on amazon and barely sticks out of the USB port. In the US it is available on amazon up to 64 gb for about 30 bucks and 8gb is only 6 bucks. With a B+ you can have up to 128 gigs of removable storage, a keyboard/mouse combo, and Wi-Fi without the need of a hub. Along the same lines, a nice amazon Wi-Fi dongle that is also low profile would be the edimax Wi-Fi dongle. That would cost you eight bucks on amazon. Hope that helped anyone browsing the forums.

matusiam

Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:11 am

Just to support lizardstuffryan comment :

I have been using the Kingston 8GB DATA TRAVELER MINI on a Pi that was used in production environment for about 9 months. The Pi was on 24/7 and providing a database for managing volunteers. The actual data was stored on the Traveler while the Pi itself mounted as read only. Hope this helps someone as well.

Return to “Media centres”