rasp14

Minimum Power Requirement to Run XBMC

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:03 am

Hi All,

I encountered some issues when running XBMC on Raspbian. I've successfully install XBMC and boot it up nicely, GUI looks smooth. The problem is when i try to play video (mkv 720p or mp4) through UPnP or play video directly from SD card, the video stuttered and playback was not smooth. However the audio is playing nicely though. Appreciate if someone can help me to solve this issue.

Here is my hardware configuration.
1. RPi Model B with Raspbian + XBMC Gotham, hooked up to LAN and HDMI port. (Using hdmi_mode=4, 720p)
2. Config.txt file set GPU memory to 128MB.
3. No overclocking. (I tried turbo mode but SD card corrupted in next boot)
4. Smartphone charger with 5V 1A rating as power supply.
5. No USB keyboard and mouse used, i used Yatse as remote control.

Did anyone use almost the same configuration as mine and played a video smoothly? I googled for some time but i can't find any real clue to solve my issue. I tried sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade to get all latest dependencies but issue still persist.

The primary suspect now is the power supply, i measured TP1 and TP2 under shutdown mode and i get 5.02-5.03V. When i boot up my Pi with LAN on (Command line mode with XBMC off) the voltage dropped to 4.87V. I haven't tried to measure the voltage when everything is turn on, (my TV is occupied by my family this week =P) but i imagine it will drop further down.

Appreciate if someone can share with me the voltage level on their Pi with working XBMC so that i can set a benchmark. If my voltage on my Pi is prove to be lower than benchmark value at least i can conclude this is my power supply issue.

If you have any other possible clue that can solve my issue, please kindly help to point me to the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

HiroProtagonist

Re: Minimum Power Requirement to Run XBMC

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:52 am

rasp14 wrote: The primary suspect now is the power supply, i measured TP1 and TP2 under shutdown mode and i get 5.02-5.03V. When i boot up my Pi with LAN on (Command line mode with XBMC off) the voltage dropped to 4.87V. I haven't tried to measure the voltage when everything is turn on, (my TV is occupied by my family this week =P) but i imagine it will drop further down.
This voltage is marginal - you should be maintaining at least 5.00v under load.

Also, you should check that your pi firmware is up to date - there was a fix recently that affected some cases of stuttering video.

rasp14

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:25 am

HiroProtagonist wrote:
rasp14 wrote: The primary suspect now is the power supply, i measured TP1 and TP2 under shutdown mode and i get 5.02-5.03V. When i boot up my Pi with LAN on (Command line mode with XBMC off) the voltage dropped to 4.87V. I haven't tried to measure the voltage when everything is turn on, (my TV is occupied by my family this week =P) but i imagine it will drop further down.
This voltage is marginal - you should be maintaining at least 5.00v under load.

Also, you should check that your pi firmware is up to date - there was a fix recently that affected some cases of stuttering video.
Thanks for the information. I will try out NOOBS 1.3.8 later, it should contain the latest firmware.

I guess i have to try out another power supply after i install the latest NOOBS. Will report back whether it is working or not.

Thanks.

Regards.

rasp14

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:45 am

I've installed latest raspbian and firmware through NOOBS 1.3.8, finally i reinstall the XBMC. I tried to play some videos through UPnP and it can play nicely!

However i observed at the beginning of video playback, there are a short period of time (~30s) where video stuttered and audio slight distorted (Video streaming seems fine). After video playing for a while, everything become normal again.

I checked the voltage across TP1 and TP2, it is at 4.75V (the lower limit of RPi operating voltage). My hardware config is RPi + LAN + HDMI. Guess my 5V 1A smartphone charger can provide the minimum required power to run XBMC.

Hopefully this information is helpful for those who is going to setup XBMC on their RPi.

Thanks.

rasp14

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:37 am

I manage to tune up the voltage across TP1 and TP2 by using shorter micro usb cable. Now my voltage across TP1 and TP2 is 4.81V and the initial video stuttering and distorted audio problem is gone! :D

Return to “Media centres”