castalla

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:50 pm

Why not just use the MrEngman script for wifi installation?

Trixster

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:33 pm

That script works perfectly with version 4 for me.

drmarkb

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:59 am

the script wont work on v5 and isnt designed too as the drivers are already built in and dont need to be installed. if youve tried the script then the instructions below might not work (so start from a fresh v5 alpha image)

• Run ‘rpi-update’ and reboot once its done
• run ‘iwconfig’ and it should show some details of the wireless dongle against wlan0. If it doesn’t, run ‘apt-get update’ then ‘apt-get upgrade’ then reboot and run ‘rpi-update’ again then it *should* show in ‘iwconfig’
• run ‘nano /etc/network/interfaces’ and paste in the following (you can # or delete the Ethernet entries here if its going to be wireless only… otherwise it takes ages to boot because it waits for a dhcp response :

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa.conf

ctrl+O saves it, ctrl+X exits

• Then run ‘nano /etc/wpa.conf’ and paste in (filling in your SSID and password):

network={
ssid="NETWORK_SSID"
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP
psk="NETWORK_PASSWORD"
}

• Run ‘ifup wlan0’ and it should get a dhcp address right away. It should get one at boot too now the interface has been added and the conf file done.

Mark

castalla

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:34 am

The above sounds like an utter pain compared to simply running MrEngman's script!

StephenR

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:44 am

I tried Mr Engmans script and while vey nice, it didn't work for the Asus N10 as it is unsupported by that script and support files so it says.

I ran a script by fifthQ on v4 and I got it working but there were other sound issues then. That doesn't work on v5 but the sound issues are gone wile on a wired network.

So I will try drmarkb script suggestions later. Thanks for the help.

cheers,

Stephen

StephenR

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 pm

I tried drmarkb scripts and ultimately I got this at the beginning and then after all the updates.

root@squeezeplug:~# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

At least I learnt how to edit files :)

Any ideas welcome otherwise I might try some of the other things I read that I couldn't carry out because I didn't know how to edit files.

For the record, I have an ASUS N10 USB WiFi dongle.

thanks,

Stephen

hotspot

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:58 pm

I am building multiroom audio system with Rasberry Pi`s, squeezePlug and stereo amplifier + in-wall speakers.
Is it possible to get the on/off (standby) button in squeezebox remote app/server to trigger an relay to turn on and off my amplifier?

truehl

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:32 am

Some informations about the upcoming version of SqueezePlug

SqueezePlug is a distribution platform for Media-Servers. LMS is only one of various Media-Servers you get with SqueezePlug. Also various Media-Clients are available.

I first developed SquezzePlug for SheevaPlug, then for Dockstar, then for GoFlex Net and now for Raspberry Pi! All these devices are based on ARM processors. On all devices Debian Squeeze Softfloat ist installed, so on Raspberry Pi right now. Now Debian HF is supported by Raspberry Pi, I also will use this in the upcoming version of SqueezePlug. That will give us a massive improvement in performance!

The idea of SqueezePlug is to use a Linux based device as a Media-Server and Client on a cheap, tiny, robust devices with verry less power consumption. So Raspberry is a perfect device for SqueezePlug. The other mayor goal is to run this device without any Linux knowledge. So everything should be as simple as possible for users. You don't have to mess around with cryptical Linux commands, you can yust choose an option from a graphical interface. The third aim is to run this all headless, without any monitor connected. You have to do some initial steps to get it running and then you can forget the device. For steering you can use devices like smartphones, I-devices, other computers or properitery remote controls e.g. for Logitech Squeezeboxes.

I'm very close for a new release based on Raspbian! If you like you can be a beta tester. Please send me a PM with your name, your eMail and your Skype name! I will contact you and send you a link for the download! I promiss you to have a beta version ready on next Sunday! That only makes sense if I get your Skype name, because I like to get a direct feedback, I hope you understand this!

The new version will include:
- LMS
- SqueezeSlave
- SqueezePlay
- MiniDLNA
- Twonky
- MPD
- MediaTomb
- DAAPD
- Shairport
- Crashplan
- Owncloud
And a lot of features to make it very easy to use!

I'm still searching for people join the project, so if you are interessted, give me a sign.

I'm looking forward for your PMs.

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Trixster

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Thomas, good news on v5 nearing completion!

One question though - will it be easy enough to setup and run v5 with wifi using the popular RTL8188CUS based wifi adapter? I know that the latest wheezy firmware has an easy-to-use gui setup for this type of adapter in X, but I'm expecting v5 to just be command line based like v4, so it's likel that this is not an option. The current v4 works flawlessly using MrEngman's script for these adapters, and it'd be a deal-breaker for me if v5 wasn't as simple to setup too.

Thanks,

Andy

truehl

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Trixster wrote:Thomas, good news on v5 nearing completion!

One question though - will it be easy enough to setup and run v5 with wifi using the popular RTL8188CUS based wifi adapter? I know that the latest wheezy firmware has an easy-to-use gui setup for this type of adapter in X, but I'm expecting v5 to just be command line based like v4, so it's likel that this is not an option. The current v4 works flawlessly using MrEngman's script for these adapters, and it'd be a deal-breaker for me if v5 wasn't as simple to setup too.

Thanks,

Andy
Hi Andi,
I bought a Netgear N150 WNA1000M which uses RTL8188CUS as far as I know. I have not tested it so far, but I'll do it the next days! I will use the actual Raspbian firmware so I'm pretty sure it will work out of the box. You are right, there will be no X installed, so you can't configure it through a GUI. But I will try to make the configuration as simple as possible!

I'll inform you about the result!
truehl

castalla

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:36 pm

One feature of the mrengman script which I appreciated was setting the wifi for no encryption ... so many other methods just assume that everybody uses wpa or wep. Please be sure to include a no encryption option in any wifi setup.

nevs

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:42 am

Hello there,

I've set up my SD card with the alpha 5 build and connected my pi to my network via Ethernet.

On the first load I didn't get the First Setup menu as shown in the video on the squeezeplug.de site so wasn't able to choose the Raspberry Pi option.

I can SSH into the pi and login as root but when I try to run setup I get:

root@squeezeplug:~# setup
-bash: setup: command not found

I've tried running rpi-update but no luck. I've tried as well as app-get update and app-get upgrade then rpi-update

I'm probably doing something stupid but I am not sure what to try next as I have no Linux knowledge at all. Is there a way to configure the box to set up streaming without using that setup menu?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

StephenR

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:08 am

The post below by Thomas explains. v5 is a test release not a full release like v4.

choose
./lms.sh to setup the lms
or
./squeezeslave.sh to setup squeezeplayer
or you can do both

The squeezeplayer will work on a wired network. Check Mr Engman's scripts which may be helpful to get it going wireless.

I know very little about Linux and so haven't been that successful onthe wireless front but still plugging away :)

You'll have to figure anything else out by digging around here yourself.

cheers,

Stephen
by truehl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:25 am
Hi,
seems there is a problem with the sound output in the test-image! If you don't get sound out of the Pi, please be sure you did these commands (there was a bug in the old description)

Code: Select all
cd /sp/scripts
chmod 777 *.sh
echo "snd-bcm2835" >> /etc/modules
./lms.sh
./squeezeslave.sh
alsamixer

Please be sure you adjust volume from alsamixer! If it's mooted here, there will be no sound. If this does not help, I will take a closer look on the image in a few days! Right now I have no access to my Pi's.

Greetings, Thomas

peejy

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:43 am

I am having a problem reading any media from a seagate powered usb harddrive. I installed squeezeplug as suggested, configuring network, then library, then media server minidlna. When installing minidlna reported missing dependencies and didnt start. After doing apt-get -f install and reinstalling minidlna i can now see squeezeplug dlna server using BubbleUPnp and xbox 360 but no media files can be seen or accessed. The hard drive can be read using the same rpi and raspbmc so I presume its not a hard drive incompatibility. I would appreciate any suggestions. If I can solve this it will be an ideal nas solution for me. Thanks in anticipation

truehl

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:03 pm

nevs wrote:Hello there,

I've set up my SD card with the alpha 5 build and connected my pi to my network via Ethernet.

On the first load I didn't get the First Setup menu as shown in the video on the squeezeplug.de site so wasn't able to choose the Raspberry Pi option.

I can SSH into the pi and login as root but when I try to run setup I get:

root@squeezeplug:~# setup
-bash: setup: command not found

I've tried running rpi-update but no luck. I've tried as well as app-get update and app-get upgrade then rpi-update

I'm probably doing something stupid but I am not sure what to try next as I have no Linux knowledge at all. Is there a way to configure the box to set up streaming without using that setup menu?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
The alpha 5 version is only a test image for SqueezeSlave on Debian hf to figure out the bugs with the internal sound card. So now these bugs are fixed. I'm very close to a full version 5 with everything working. A first test version will be ready tomorrow night, I hope! I'm working hard on it. This version will be first only available for guys help me in testing! If you are interested you can send me an eMail with your Skype name. I 'll then will give you a download link (planed for tomorrow night). The Skype address is necessary to get your feedback!

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

nevs

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks for the replies,

I had to go with the version 5 build as 4 wouldn't boot on my SD card.

I had managed to get LMS up and running after a lot of messing about but was still struggling with the squeezeslave set up.

However, after seeing the replies and running the commands:

cd /sp/scripts
chmod 777 *.sh
echo "snd-bcm2835" >> /etc/modules
./lms.sh
./squeezeslave.sh
alsamixer

as suggested in the posts above I got it working as expected and it is outputting sound via the 3.5 jack as expected.

The last thing is my WiFi dongle (Edimax EW-7811Un) is not working correctly.

I'm configuring using the script from Mr Engman, it skips the install and say the drivers are built in to the kernel version I am using. It seems to be set up correctly but when the script tries to connect to a network it is unable to locate any networks in range even though there are plenty near me. This could be as I'm trying to run it plugged into the pi and not a powered usb hub, however I've read on these forums that others have been able to do so.

I'll keep trying as having this wireless is what I'm after and this problem isn't related to squeezeplug.

Thanks for the awesome work Thomas

truehl

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Beta testing version available

Hi folks I just like to inform you, that a beta testing version for SqueezePlug on Debian hf is available now. Meanwhile I'm uploading the image and I've already invited those who asked me to be beta testers. I'm not sure I've invited all those guys sending a request, so if you like to test and got no mail, please send a PM with your mail address and your Skype name! I hope the update will be finished the next hours!

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl

truehl

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi folks,
we have found a major issue with the test-image! The firmware on the squeezeplug_beta_5_001.img is Kernel 3.2.27+ #244 from 6.10. FW is 342154. It seems there is a bug in this FW. SqueezeSlave stops after only a few songs! If you downgrade to Kernel 3.2.27+ #168 from 22.9. FW 338882 everything is running stable. I'm running SqueezeSlave with this FW for over 7 days now without any fault.

So if you are one of the beta testers you should downgrade your Firmware!

How to do this?: Download the file: fw_backup.tar.gz from the dropbox. (don't delete files here) Copy this file to your RPi by using WinSCP or the Samba connection! Copy the file to /sp/backup . Then type "setup" at the RPi and the "Advanced Configuration" and then "RPi Specials" Then choose "Firmware_Restore".

RPi should downgrade the FW to the working version and everything should run fine.

I hope the bug with the actual FW will be solved soon!

Please report back your experiences!
truehl

truehl

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:42 am

Hi folks,
short info for the beta testers: The issue with the stopping SqueezeSlave is an alsa issue concerns to the latest Firmware! Dom is already working on a fix. So you should definitely downgrade as described before. I'm running this setup since last night and it's ultra stable! So I'll not use the latest FW in the final release of SqueezePlug!

There where no other issues reported by the betatesters so far!

If you like to participate in testing, send a PM with your eMail address and you Skype name for feedback.

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

zerosub

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:51 pm

i just downloaded and installed sp_rpi_408b1.zip.
I've set it up with LMS and squeezeslave.

It turned out that the audio output was muted. So i unmuted and turned the volume up via ssh:
amixer set PCM 400 unmute

after a reboot, settings were gone again. So i added the line to the squeezeslave init.d script.
Now, everytime squeezeslave is started, the volume will be set to max.

Just in case someone else is troubleshooting with this.
Excellent Job you did there, Thomas !!!

Squeezeplug rocks !!

truehl

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:14 pm

zerosub wrote:i just downloaded and installed sp_rpi_408b1.zip.
I've set it up with LMS and squeezeslave.

It turned out that the audio output was muted. So i unmuted and turned the volume up via ssh:
amixer set PCM 400 unmute

after a reboot, settings were gone again. So i added the line to the squeezeslave init.d script.
Now, everytime squeezeslave is started, the volume will be set to max.

Just in case someone else is troubleshooting with this.
Excellent Job you did there, Thomas !!!

Squeezeplug rocks !!
Thanks a lot, I figured out "amixer set PCM 400 unmute" a few days ago and already integrated it in my beta version. If you are interessted I can give you access to this version! The official version 5 will be ready this weekend, I hope! I'm fixing the last bugs right now!

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

zerosub

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanx for the offer Thomas. I won't have the time for beta testing this week, so i'll wait for the release.
I'm looking forward to the integration of shairport. I have the feeling that the combination of the Pi and squeezeplug will become a really big thing.

Cheers
Zerosub

mwebster

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:52 pm

Seems like the latest fw has fixed the alsa issue. I've been running for hours.

mwebster

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:41 pm

I've loaded the new version 5 of squeezeplug and am experiencing audible pops when switching tracks. I'm using the on-board audio, not usb. I didn't notice this with the beta version. Has anyone else noticed this?

StephenR

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:51 pm

mwebster wrote:I've loaded the new version 5 of squeezeplug and am experiencing audible pops when switching tracks. I'm using the on-board audio, not usb. I didn't notice this with the beta version. Has anyone else noticed this?
Are you using WiFi or network cable? I ran the beta version for days without problem and am now just downloading the official release.

I've never been able to get the audio noise free on WiFi, hub or no hub when using the headphone jack output. It might have something so do with the Asus N10 USB stick which does have relatively high power consumption or it might be a problem. Either way, I would really like to solve it.

cheers,

Stephen

Return to “Media centres”