castalla

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:06 pm

If you are happy using WinSCP then you need to add the following line at the end of the file (delete anything similar which may have been added when you tried earlier):

Code: Select all

# Automatic settings from SqueezePlug scripts starts here:
//NAS-ip-address/Music /mnt/MYMUSIC cifs username=guest,password=,sec=ntlm
Use the appropriate values for your setup. It's all one line.

Save the file.

------------------------------
You can check this has worked in Putty by typing:

mount -a

then

ls /mnt./MYMUSIC

You should see your files listed.

--------------------------------

If the above worked, then reboot the Pi and check again with

ls /mnt./MYMUSIC

that the files are listed.

-------------------------------------

If all okay, then you can use LMS gui to point the media library to /mnt/MYMUSIC - your files will be scanned.

The process of mounting is automatic (if the above worked) each time you reboot the Pi - assuming the NAS is ON and its ip-address doesn't change.

---------------------------------

Hope t all works.

ps: no idea why the squeezeplug setup menu messes up the mount!

twiddlepie

Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:06 am

Hi castalla,

I have done all that, and here is my fstab file. What do you suggest I do next?

Note the bottom line:

192.168.0.101:/Music /mnt/nfs/ nfs defaults 0 0

is what came from the Squeezeplug setup wizzard. It looks correct, but doesn't allow LMS access to the NAS drive (unlike the manual method you showed me yesterday).

Thanks,
Adrian

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
/dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, so no using swapon|off from here on, use dphys-swapfile swap[on|off] for that
#
# This part of the file describes how your external HDs or network shares are connected to SqueezePlug
#
# You should follow this structure:
# every external HD or network share should be mounted under /mnt
# then use "hd1" for the first HD and so on
# NFS shares should be mounted on /mnt/nfs
# Samba shares should be mounted on /mnt/samba
# the rest of the structure is build on the external HD or network share itself, you can arrange this by yourself or by the library script from "setup"
#
# Common structure:
# /mnt/hd1/backup
# /mnt/hd1/data
# /mnt/hd1/itunes
# /mnt/hd1/media
# /mnt/hd1/media/audio
# /mnt/hd1/media/pictures
# /mnt/hd1/media/playlists
# /mnt/hd1/media/video
# /mnt/hd1/media/misc
# /mnt/hd2/...
# /mnt/hdx/...
# /mnt/nfs/...
# /mnt/samba/...
#
# Your manual setting should start here:
#
# For USB Fat/Fat32/Ext2/Ext3/Ext4 drives edit the next line e.g.:
# /dev/sdx /mnt/hd1 auto rw,user,auto 0 0
#
# For USB NTFS drives edit the next line e.g.:
# /dev/sdx //mnt/hd1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
#
# For NFS shares edit the next line e.g.:
# 192.168.2.100:/raid/data/iTunes_music /mnt/nfs nfs defaults 0 0
#
# For Samba Client shares edit the next line e.g.:
# //192.168.2.10/samba /mnt/samba/ cifs username=<username>,password=<password>
#
# Automatic settings from SqueezePlug scripts starts here:
192.168.0.101:/Music /mnt/nfs/ nfs defaults 0 0

castalla

Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:44 am

Remove the last line, Replace with:

(assumes 192.168.0.101 is your static nas ip-address, or use the nas network-name if it has one - eg. WDDRIVE )

//192.168.0.101/Music /mnt/MYMUSIC cifs username=guest,password=

Save file.

Reboot.

Check files are listed with

ls /mnt/MYMUSIC

If the files are shown then you are good to go with LMS

twiddlepie

Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:11 pm

Hi castalla,

Looks like I didn't see your other post before I asked the question. Anyway, i pasted in "//NAS-ip-address/Music /mnt/MYMUSIC cifs username=guest,password=,sec=ntlm" and it works well -easy as pi :-)

Out of curiosity, what does "sec=ntlm" do?

Now I just need to get the wifi connection working, as currently I am running the pi connected via LAN.

Do you know if there are any performance issue with running LMS and Squeezelite on the same Pi over wifi as opposed to LAN? Is there any performance adbantage to running the server and player on separate Pi's?

It seems a little unstable on occasion (i.e. if you try to do to much on the controller at once, the poor thing seems to spit the dummy).

Also, does anyone know how to get it to play MP3 radio streams? AAC ones seem fine...

Thanks for your help, patience and clear instructions!

Cheers,
Adrian

castalla

Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:57 pm

Glad it's working!

The sec=ntlm is probably not needed (it's to do with security options). I think truehl fixed it previously. But just leave it if it works!

I thought squeezelite plays mp3 okay?

Usually, a lan connection is best for the server. Players can use wifi.

If you want to use 2 pi's then using picoreplayer on one is a good option.

Slave2Reason

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi there,

I have just managed to get my B+ to work with a HiFiBerry Dac+ and SqueezePlug; I thought that I would share a problem that I had and its solution. While I was setting up SqueezeLite, I selected the HiFiBerry Dac driver option but then I could not get any sounds out of the HiFiBerry unit apart from an annoying squeal. Long story short, Daniel at HiFiBerry looked at the output that send him of various tests and informed me that I had the wrong driver running. The correct driver could be installed by following the instructions on http://www.hifiberry.com/guides/hifiber ... iguration/ and my problem was solved! It now sounds awesome.

The other issue that I had was that the boot sequence switched off the USB and network sockets. This was solved by replacing some of the files in the boot partition on the Pi's SD card. I have zipped the files and uploaded them to www.slavetoreason.com/files/Boot_files_for_B+.zip to make it easy for anyone else that hits this issue.

Chris

Jeroen98675432

Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:37 pm

Slave2Reason wrote:Hi there,

I have just managed to get my B+ to work with a HiFiBerry Dac+ and SqueezePlug; I thought that I would share a problem that I had and its solution. While I was setting up SqueezeLite, I selected the HiFiBerry Dac driver option but then I could not get any sounds out of the HiFiBerry unit apart from an annoying squeal. Long story short, Daniel at HiFiBerry looked at the output that send him of various tests and informed me that I had the wrong driver running. The correct driver could be installed by following the instructions on http://www.hifiberry.com/guides/hifiber ... iguration/ and my problem was solved! It now sounds awesome.

The other issue that I had was that the boot sequence switched off the USB and network sockets. This was solved by replacing some of the files in the boot partition on the Pi's SD card. I have zipped the files and uploaded them to http://www.slavetoreason.com/files/Boot ... for_B+.zip to make it easy for anyone else that hits this issue.

Chris

Dear Chris, thank you so much for this solution! I've been looking for hours and hours to get my B+ working and your solution worked great for me!

atinkler

Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi all

I've spent the last day or so going through the process of setting up Squeezeplug (and the model B+ foxed me for a while until i found the advice here .. thanks!!)

Anyway now I have it up and running I've finally hit a brick wall ... my ReadyNas Duo (v1) mounting has completely got me.. it just won't work.... the PI is telling me the following when I try to set up SMB and NFS

Mount error: cifs filesystem not supporting by system
mount error (19): no such device
Refer to mount.cifs (8) manual page

I know I have CIFS ticked in my NASA shares and I also have been using Samba and NFS for years with it

Please help :shock:

castalla

Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:19 pm

atinkler wrote:Hi all

I've spent the last day or so going through the process of setting up Squeezeplug (and the model B+ foxed me for a while until i found the advice here .. thanks!!)

Anyway now I have it up and running I've finally hit a brick wall ... my ReadyNas Duo (v1) mounting has completely got me.. it just won't work.... the PI is telling me the following when I try to set up SMB and NFS

Mount error: cifs filesystem not supporting by system
mount error (19): no such device
Refer to mount.cifs (8) manual page

I know I have CIFS ticked in my NASA shares and I also have been using Samba and NFS for years with it

Please help :shock:
How are you setting up the mount? Using the squeezeplug setup menu?

Are you specifying the correct share path? Username, password?

Also, have you updated the Pi?

atinkler

Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi there... this did the trick!

sudo rpi-update
sudo reboot

:D

Sam_Y

Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:25 pm

Greetings! I have been working on getting my rPi B+-based SqueezePlug box up and running over the past week and am happy to say that it is now set up and performing just about perfectly, due in no small part to the helpful information on this thread. My biggest hurdle was getting the rPi to mount the drive containing my music library -- an eSata device connected to a Netgear NeoTV550 networked media player. Just as I was about to give up, I ran across a post on an obscure linux forum that mentioned the "-o nounix" parameter to the mount command. Being desperate, I tried it and... VOILA! It worked! I don't know why it worked, or why I had no problems in the past mounting that drive on any other devices -- from Win/XP to my Android phone. Anyway, something to keep in mind. Now, about the reason for my post....

If you are noticing any audible distortion or clipping from the HDMI audio feed, please read on. If not, feel free to surf....

I am running LMS 7.8.1 and Squeezelite on my rPi, along with the Triode Spotify plugin. I also have a Voco V-Zone player in another room streaming from the rPi LMS. The rPi is connected to the Denon AV receiver in my main media room via HDMI, which I am using for the audio feed from Squeezelite. While I am disappointed that the current kernel used in this dist does not support my small collection of 24/96 FLAC files over HDMI, I am hopeful that a solution will be found soon and will wait awhile before springing for an external DAC. After getting everything working, I had time to do some actual listening and immediately noticed a problem with the audio quality of the Spotify stream. There was very audible distortion and clipping going on that was not present when streaming the same material from the rPi LMS to a Squeezelite player on my Win8 notebook. After no success experimenting with the HDMI input level controls on the Denon, I found that I could eliminate the distortion by changing the Volume Control setting for the player in LMS from "Fixed at 100%" to "Volume controls adjust output", as long as I kept the soft volume control at or below around 70%. Although this was not a permanent solution, it told me that the best place to try to fix the problem was going to be in the rPi audio output settings. So after a little googling on ALSA sound configuration, I came up with this sequence of commands, which results in much better sound with no distortion or clipping:

amixer controls

...to find the "numid" associated with the 'PCM Playback Volume" setting.

After determining that the numid was "1",

amixer cset numid=1 94%

...you can experiment with other percentages -- this seems to be the highest value that does not introduce distortion for me. The previous value was 100%.

sudo alsactl store

...this command makes the change persistent after reboots.

That's it. I hope someone else finds this info useful. My next step is to see how much, if any, this method might improve the quality of the line-level audio output.
Last edited by Sam_Y on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sam_Y

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:33 am

Just a quick followup to my last post. The change outlined there also improved the analog audio output quality, eliminating the same clipping and distortion previously present in the HDMI stream, although necessitating a higher degree of amplification downstream. In fact, I now find the analog sound to be quite listenable, the biggest weakness being background hiss during quiet passages. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as the source for a bedroom or kitchen radio, which I just might do in my next rPi project.

wontons

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:42 am

Quick question since I'm running into a wall over at the logitech forums:

In the last 3-4 days has anyone been able to add a new squeezelite player to mysqueezebox.com AND see your installed apps from the LMS GUI?

Raspberry Pi B from from the box
Default everything from 7.7 image upgraded to 7.9
LMS 7.8
Squeezelite 1.6 using my hardware MAC address

I punch in my mysb credentials and my player never shows up on the account and my installed apps aren't showing up in LMS. I've built dozens of setups exactly like this following these same proceedures and this just started failing last week. Does any one of you DIYers have a moment to try to add their player to mysb for the first time if you haven't already?

Thanks!

wontons

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:06 pm

I did just get confirmation that changes to mysqueezebox.com will make future registrations of players (at least for now) impossible:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... post796848

If this affects you, I am begging that you head over to that thread and let them know about it. This change has the potential to kill any DIY squeezebox projects going forward!

miketyson

Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi Thomas,
I wonder if is possible to use an external USB monitor like Mimo with SqueezePlug. I saw this interesting Tutorial http://www.instructables.com/id/Wall-Mo ... /?ALLSTEPS. As I'm a Linux newbee I have no idea if is something easy to applòy also on your Squeezeplug.

thanks

dmitchell

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi Thomas,

I'm considering moving my LMS from a windows 7 machine to a RPi with an external usb hard drive for music library. On your blog you consider RPi a 'low end alternative for LMS server'. I'm curious what you consider 'low end'? is it the size of music library, number of players or both? Last time I looked I had about 2500 songs in my library and currently we only have two players.

thanks
Dana

castalla

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:28 pm

By low-end, I guess this refers to the cpu performance .... particularly with regard to database indexing. I don't find this such a great issue (with 1300 tracks) as the indexing only needs to be updated when you add/delete tracks.

Others find the Odroid U3 is a faster alternative - but it costs more..

anjenaire

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:58 pm

Thanks for the advice here and I have my RPi B+ loaded and working as a LMS. I am attempting to have my music files located on a thumb drive. Approximately 350 folders and ~ 4000K songs. I have been successful in getting the first file to play (flac files btw) and then the sound goes silent. I am playing the music files with a separate piCorePlayer DAC+ combo directly to my receiver. So this B+ RPi is only doing duty as the LMS.

Is this possible? Or is the RPi just too under powered? The same setup was working fine with a powered USB hub and USB hard drive, but I wanted to take those two items out of the equation and replace with the 128GB thumb drive. Files on thumb drive work just fine directly onto the receiver (Yamaha RX-V675) but the user interface is not very friendly (no playlists or music queues).

miketyson

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi Thomas,
I strongly suggest you to add an option to install JiveLite as Player, so will be possible use SqueezePlug to build a standalone player especially now that the new DSI 7" touch screen is coming http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/21/pi-pads/
without Linux skill.

castalla

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:14 pm

anjenaire wrote:Thanks for the advice here and I have my RPi B+ loaded and working as a LMS. I am attempting to have my music files located on a thumb drive. Approximately 350 folders and ~ 4000K songs. I have been successful in getting the first file to play (flac files btw) and then the sound goes silent. I am playing the music files with a separate piCorePlayer DAC+ combo directly to my receiver. So this B+ RPi is only doing duty as the LMS.

Is this possible? Or is the RPi just too under powered? The same setup was working fine with a powered USB hub and USB hard drive, but I wanted to take those two items out of the equation and replace with the 128GB thumb drive. Files on thumb drive work just fine directly onto the receiver (Yamaha RX-V675) but the user interface is not very friendly (no playlists or music queues).
In LMS gui interface - Settings - Players - check your player is shown - choose Play other songs. Apply..

anjenaire

Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:39 am

Thanks for the suggestion however that was already selected. It seems as though the thumb drive isn't being read. The LMS works fine with all net options, as well as using other servers on my network but chokes on the music stored on the thumb drive. I can't see the files when looking at the folder on Windows nor Samba. I think it must not be mounting correctly. It looks like it does initially and then it disappears. I'm not a Linux guy so that might be the issue. I followed the script in the setup mode and then when I used the LMS gui to find the files it found the 3100+ files but I can't see them via vnc either.

anjenaire

Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:54 am

It was a mounting problem and I followed these instructions to mount the thumb drive: http://www.instructables.com/id/Mountin ... /?ALLSTEPS and it seems to be working now. Not sure why the script didn't work for me (I'm sure it was user error) but I think I've got it licked.

Thanks.

twiddlepie

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:23 am

Hi Guys,

I am having a problem getting any MP3 internet radio streams to play (AAC works fine). The LMS server seems to find the station and show it's playing, but there is no sound. An example of one of these stations is Kiwi FM. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Thanks,
Adrian

castalla

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:54 pm

Strange - mp3 is the least problematical formats.

What player?

twiddlepie

Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:40 pm

I'm using squeezelite

Return to “Media centres”