PhoenixUK

Poss 2Play & Record Live TV? Wi-Fi Ability & Play TV Catchup

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:33 am

Hi All,

Firstly this is my first post on here, having heard a while back about the Raspberry PI and it's goals etc, I never thought much more of it for me personally... until recently when I read this following article; http://www.theguardian.com/technology/a ... up-iplayer

We have a 42" LCD TV in the lounge that at this moment in time I begrudge spending many hundreds of pounds to throw it away, as it's perfectly adequate.

However, the only bug bear is wanting to have it more connected, of which I thought was never going to happen but the above article has opened my eyes to what's possible with the Raspberry PI.

Here's what I want my first ever Raspberry PI to do function wise and then I'm hoping some experts on here can help point me in the right directions, to maximise my chance of getting everything right the first time round.

- Connect to the TV via HDMI.
- Able to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi.
- To Run XBMC (Is this the best way to achieve this part - http://www.openelec.tv/component/content/article?id=1 ? ) as we want to install the UK TV catchup services.
- Record live TV (Similar to Sky+ or Freeview+ is the UK)
- Able to run Android if possible for the Apps and Games

I will want to buy a case for the R-PI board(s) to stop it getting wrecked by little fingers in the house and basically if any of you kind souls can help answer the above, that would be massively appreciated indeed or even if you feel you have other additional to the above information that can help me get everything I need or more, I'm all ears (Maybe there's other things I'm not even aware of at present that I could put the R-PI to use doing things with the above kind of build) and look forward to hearing from some of you in due course.

Regards,
Rob

HiroProtagonist

Re: Poss 2Play & Record Live TV? Wi-Fi Ability & Play TV Cat

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:37 pm

You want to:

- To Run XBMC (Is this the best way to achieve this part - http://www.openelec.tv/component/content/article?id=1 ? ) as we want to install the UK TV catchup services.

You can do all of those easily [except run android] with any of the Pi media-center distributions [RaspBMC, Xbian or Openelec]. Currently I'm doing all this using Raspbmc with TVHeadend enabled. Running android will present problems as it would require a dual-boot setup - not impossible, but none of the above distributions support it out of the box.

Phill Rymer

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:03 pm

install fusion and xunity to get tv catchup

PhoenixUK

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi Hiro,

Thank you for the reply, it's much appreciated. It's minefield to get one's head around for choosing the right R-PI OS and then choosing the right Media Center with the likes of XBMC, RASPBMC, Xbian, Openelec and so forth but in your opinion which one turns out to the best do you think?

I'm not fully up on linux but have used it in the past a little and I use SSH to access my own VPS server through my work of web development / design and therefore I'm not stuck with going with the easiest option, just what for right here and now is the best provider to help me achieve my list above... now minus Android it would seem.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Rob
HiroProtagonist wrote:You want to:

You can do all of those easily [except run android] with any of the Pi media-center distributions [RaspBMC, Xbian or Openelec]. Currently I'm doing all this using Raspbmc with TVHeadend enabled. Running android will present problems as it would require a dual-boot setup - not impossible, but none of the above distributions support it out of the box.

PhoenixUK

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:58 pm

Hi Phil,

Thank you for replying, much appreciated.

Firstly I've just read this evening that XBMC has now split effectively in to two communities, so you have to install both XBMC, then both 'fusion' and 'xunity'. So if I read up on both of these to see what their package offers, then I'd find out what kind of features?

So do I need to choose an actual R-PI operating system first, or can this be omitted and just run a media center system and relevant software?

Also I've put a few computers together from buying the parts and putting together to setting up the whole shebang, so I'm wondering if this is a good deal in your eyes?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi- ... 27ce3075a2

Or whether to price up sourcing ALL those parts and just putting it all together myself and hoping to save a little bit that way.

Phill Rymer wrote:install fusion and xunity to get tv catchup

PhoenixUK

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:02 am

Also to both of you, I can definitely record live TV or from a TV guide for Freeview TV by doing / putting the above together?

Can you point me in the right direction at all for how much the maximum compatibility is for expandable storage via USB Flash Drivers, as you can pick up a 64GB quite cheaply these days but I know the better the increase in data transfer rates and so forth, will help achieve a better viewing experience when saving / reading from said usb flash drive.

I have a 500gb external hard drive... it would be awesome if it would take that via the USB port.

Regards,
Rob

PhoenixUK

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:50 pm

Phil,

Can I ask if that an I can to both the points above, namely record live tv and also my 500gb external hard drive should be compatible with the R-PI?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Phill Rymer wrote:you can

HiroProtagonist

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:05 pm

PhoenixUK wrote:Hi Hiro,

Thank you for the reply, it's much appreciated. It's minefield to get one's head around for choosing the right R-PI OS and then choosing the right Media Center with the likes of XBMC, RASPBMC, Xbian, Openelec and so forth but in your opinion which one turns out to the best do you think?
I found Raspbmc worked better than Xbian for Live TV, but that issue has probably been addressed by now. Openelec is a bit more restricted, for maximum flexibility I'd choose from Raspbmc or, Xbian. I note the RaspBMC forums seem to be more active.
Last edited by HiroProtagonist on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HiroProtagonist

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:13 pm

PhoenixUK wrote: Firstly I've just read this evening that XBMC has now split effectively in to two communities, so you have to install both XBMC, then both 'fusion' and 'xunity'. So if I read up on both of these to see what their package offers, then I'd find out what kind of features?

So do I need to choose an actual R-PI operating system first, or can this be omitted and just run a media center system and relevant software?
You have a little bit of confusion here. Installing a media center OS such as RaspBMC or Xbian will give you a working system running XBMC. XBMC has not 'spit'.

You then have the option of choosing to install any of the hundreds of different XBMC addons you may find useful. These addons are installed from 'repositories', of which there are a number to choose from, such as xbmc.org, or xbmchub, etc. You can install addons from as many repositories as you like.
Last edited by HiroProtagonist on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HiroProtagonist

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:19 pm

PhoenixUK wrote:Also to both of you, I can definitely record live TV or from a TV guide for Freeview TV by doing / putting the above together?

Can you point me in the right direction at all for how much the maximum compatibility is for expandable storage via USB Flash Drivers, as you can pick up a 64GB quite cheaply these days but I know the better the increase in data transfer rates and so forth, will help achieve a better viewing experience when saving / reading from said usb flash drive.

I have a 500gb external hard drive... it would be awesome if it would take that via the USB port.
Yes, you can definitely do this with the addition of DVB tuner hardware and the appropriate software. In the UK you'll also need an mpeg2 license.

Don't bother using flash drives to store your media data - use a USB hard drive. I use a 1TB hard drive on my system, and I'm thinking of adding another 1TB.

You will need a drive that is either externally powered, or via a powered USB hub.

HiroProtagonist

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:24 pm

PhoenixUK wrote: I have a 500gb external hard drive... it would be awesome if it would take that via the USB port.
Note that your external HD will work best if it's formatted ext4 - if it's formatted with NTFS it will work but there will be extra CPU load.

Phill Rymer

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:29 am

PhoenixUK wrote:Hi Phil,

Thank you for replying, much appreciated.

Firstly I've just read this evening that XBMC has now split effectively in to two communities, so you have to install both XBMC, then both 'fusion' and 'xunity'. So if I read up on both of these to see what their package offers, then I'd find out what kind of features?

Also I've put a few computers together from buying the parts and putting together to setting up the whole shebang, so I'm wondering if this is a good deal in your eyes?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi- ... 27ce3075a2

Or whether to price up sourcing ALL those parts and just putting it all together myself and hoping to save a little bit that way.

Phill Rymer wrote:install fusion and xunity to get tv catchup
I use oopenelecctriv berry boot very easy to set up and auto updates itself chexck out some of the youtube xbmv set up tutorials there very helpful aalsao download the xbmc pdf file user guide very handy

red red robbo

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:38 am

Could someone clear up some confusion for me here please?

I am also looking to use a PI to enable live TV on a TV screen that is hard to get an aerial to. There are plenty of responses saying yes this is possible using XBMC and various other systems but then usually half way down the page someone mentions having to have a DVB and/or mpeg2 license.

My questions is; is it possible to get live TV out of a PI via my existing WiFi network without any extra hardware?

I am not looking to record stuff with this setup, just view current programs.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a simple answer to this, thanks.

matt@shagshaw.com

Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:28 pm

Hiya

XBMC is exactly what you are looking. I run XBMC on an ubuntu PC, and use the TVCatchup plugin, it gives you most of the UK freeview channels for Live TV as you requested, other plugins are available for internet streams and on demand TV, no dvb-t card required.

But you may require an MPEG2 licence installing.

Good luck

Matt

red red robbo

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks Matt.

Is the TVCatchup plugin installed from within XBMC or do I have to do that from the command line?

Also, being in the UK I think I will need an MPEG2 license so how on earth do I go about getting one?

HiroProtagonist

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:42 am

red red robbo wrote:My questions is; is it possible to get live TV out of a PI via my existing WiFi network without any extra hardware?
I am not looking to record stuff with this setup, just view current programs.
I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a simple answer to this, thanks.
No. You will need additional hardware.

You can access a number of live TV sources streamed over the web, if you want to access this via wifi you will at least need a wifi dongle for your pi. Keep in mind that moving HD content over wifi doesn't work as well as via wired ethernet. If you have access to wired ethernet, then you can stream live TV with no additional hardware.

You can also access DVB-T, but you'd need more hardware for that - you'll need a DVB-T dongle, installed in a server running TVHeadend or similar in a location where you can access an antenna. Your pi can then access this server over the network.

HiroProtagonist

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 am

red red robbo wrote:Also, being in the UK I think I will need an MPEG2 license so how on earth do I go about getting one?
Look up at the top of the page - see where it says "Buy Codecs"? Click there.

However you will only need this if you're receiving DVB-T - web streaming uses mp4 which you have already.

red red robbo

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:43 am

I appreciate I need a WiFi dongle, it's the DVB receiver I am confused about.

Even in response to my question I have two conflicting answers, one says use TVCatchup, the other says I need a DVB-T receiver.

I have XBMC installed on my PI now but I can't find TVCatchup in the program add-on list. How do I get it?

red red robbo

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:44 am

Ooops, didn't read the response properly. Missed the also.

I am looking for the WiFi only option, HD not required.

HiroProtagonist

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:51 pm

red red robbo wrote:Even in response to my question I have two conflicting answers, one says use TVCatchup, the other says I need a DVB-T receiver.
Just to clarify, as you don't have access to an antenna - a DVB-T receiver is going to be no use to you. This is only useful for receiving over-the-air broadcasts, it is not needed for web streaming.

I have no experience with the add-on you're looking for, so I'll leave that for someone else to answer/

red red robbo

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks for the help guys.

I got the PI up and running with XBMC running the TVCatchup add-on and can stream live TV over WiFi no problem. Even the HD channels seems to stream OK but they don't look that HD to me so maybe something is dropping the quality somewhere in order to keep up.

The only problem I have now is that TVCatchup doesn't seem to have half the channels it did a couple of weeks ago when I was researching the possibility of using it instead of a full-blown freeview receiver. Specifically it is missing Pick TV which was the one channel the Mrs really wanted to be able to watch in the kitchen.

Does anybody have any idea if there is an add-on to XBMC that has Pick TV and will work in the UK?

Failing that, do any of the DVB receivers mentioned work with the PI? I have another PI setup as a media server and that is close to an aerial so could be used to receive and distribute the TV signal.

Thanks again for the help so far.

mikerr

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:46 am

TVCatchup (despite the name) is only useful for streaming, not recording.

For recording you can use tvheadend (and a DVB tuner) - still all controlled by XBMC:
http://www.packtpub.com/article/using-pvr-with-raspbmc
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Ramsey019

Sat May 10, 2014 10:58 am

Hi All,

I’m having the same question as Phoenix has. I’m running OpenELEC on my Pi and I would like to live HDTV stream programs on Live TV. I have watched and tried some tutorials but all I have is some Demo channels from Pulse-eight PVR add-on which is unfortunately not working, btw I’m using TVheadend Add-on.

Here are some questions that I’m hoping would enlighten me:

1. Is Live TV on XBMC only works in selected country? Coz I’m in the Middle East right now where there are only 2 local channels being aired and the rest are on paid cable connections.
2. Does Live TV only streams channels which are being streamed on your current location?
3. Would I require additional hardware such as TV Tuner or other devices?
4. Do I need to subscribe on some websites to have channels on Live TV?
5. Lastly, would anyone of you be kind enough to show me step-by-step guides on how to view live tv programs on XBMC Live TV? Sorry guys, I’m a total noob but that doesn’t stop me for learning new things….

Thank you all in advance….

freakqnc

Sat May 10, 2014 10:41 pm

Ramsey019 wrote:Hi All,

I’m having the same question as Phoenix has. I’m running OpenELEC on my Pi and I would like to live HDTV stream programs on Live TV. I have watched and tried some tutorials but all I have is some Demo channels from Pulse-eight PVR add-on which is unfortunately not working, btw I’m using TVheadend Add-on.

Here are some questions that I’m hoping would enlighten me:

1. Is Live TV on XBMC only works in selected country? Coz I’m in the Middle East right now where there are only 2 local channels being aired and the rest are on paid cable connections.

- You can get free OTA (Over The Air) broadcasts in your area which you can receive with an HD Antenna. To get those channels to your RaspberryPi you will need a tuner like a Silicondust HDHomeRun (I am using the Dual model). That tuner will make the feeds available to TVHeadend via your local network.
- If you want to get paid cable network you will need a specific tuner like the Silicondust HDHomeRun Prime, which allows users to access paid cable service inserting a cable card that will unlock encrypted feeds.

2. Does Live TV only streams channels which are being streamed on your current location?

- Live TV is not a service provided by a company streaming videos. That section will need you to configure and run a tuner (as previously noted), a backend service like TVHeadend backend, a PVR frontend (like the TVHeadend PVR addon). All those can be run on your pi (except the tuner which is a piece of hardware you need to buy).
TV Headend will be used to connect to the tuner and configure the . The OTA (or cable) feeds will be organized into a list of channels that can then be accessed once enabling the Live TV feature on the Pi

I might be not 100% right but that's at least this is my understanding from first hand experience with my setup and lots of asking on forums and irc.

3. Would I require additional hardware such as TV Tuner or other devices?

- Yes, you will need at least a network tuner like the ones mentioned earlier. You will need to choose between a free OTA only or one that allows you to access paid cable as well.

4. Do I need to subscribe on some websites to have channels on Live TV?

- Not if you are OK with receiving only free OTA channels, but I understand you have only 2 in your area so you might be out of options in which case you might have to subscribe to paid cable.

As an alternative you can check if filmon.com broadcasts are available to you (which you can access via regular web browser). If you want to go with a Pi then you can try running Playon on a PC as briefly noted on this article by "My Media Experience" http://mymediaexperience.com/xbmc-guide/:
[...]
The easiest way to add almost 60 channels of premium content to XBMC is with the PlayOn is media server software for Windows. With PlayOn media server running, you can stream online shows and movies via an UPnP share to other XBMC powered computers (e.g. Raspberry Pi) on your home network. PlayOn costs $39.99 (one-time fee).
[...]
There are other ways to add more content like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, but those would still need paid subscription to access the streams offered by those services.

5. Lastly, would anyone of you be kind enough to show me step-by-step guides on how to view live tv programs on XBMC Live TV? Sorry guys, I’m a total noob but that doesn’t stop me for learning new things….

- For a step-by-step guide you can read this other article by "My Media Experience" showing how to get Live TV on the Pi http://mymediaexperience.com/finally-an ... ia-center/

Hope the above will help you in your quest and if you get something going and working, make sure you pay it forward sharing your own experience with others... write an article or help a fellow cord-cutter ;)

Cheers!

Thank you all in advance….

Return to “Media centres”