sonofdays

RPi for Bose Soundtouch?

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:08 am

"SoundTouch systems can play music stored on your computer that is managed by iTunes or Windows Media Player."
http://youtu.be/gh2MY_Yqp4I?t=27s

The SoundTouch is like Sony's Sonos speakers which play music from internet radio or local files, streamed over wifi. The tutorial video says that you can add a music library from the computer it is on and that it will recognize iTunes or WMP libraries.

My two concerns:
* I doubt there's an app I could run on the RPi for it to see the files locally, but maybe it'll see the library over the network.
* I've seen forked-daapd but it seems a lot of people have troubles installing it and even if it does successfully play music on an Apple device, that doesn't guarantee it'd work on the Bose device.

I know the SoundTouch speakers were just released, but has anybody made this happen yet? Does it sound like forked-daapd will work for this?

I chatted with a Bose representative and he stated that the speakers can't play music from a computer unless the application is currently running which makes my first concern a moot point. The product FAQ on the Bose site says the speaker will support NAS next year which suggests they could run without an application feeding it, without the library being local and that it won't even be iTunes/WMP specific. But that's next year. I'm curious as to how they'll remove the application dependency and if that means there isn't a real dependency. So if anybody has gotten around it, please let me know =)

masterluke

Re: RPi for Bose Soundtouch?

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 am

Looks like the soundtouch can use upnp\dlna, so I would be looking into minidlna as the server on the pi if I were you.

Paul Webster

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:33 pm

The SoundTouch is like Sony's Sonos speakers
Just a quick correction - Sonos is not related to Sony.
Sony does have some network speakers (part number starts NS) that they started shipping in (I think) 2012.
Sonos has been around for much longer.

hacgalindo

Thu May 19, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi, I dont see much about this.

Has anyone succesfully tried this with the sound touch feature of Bose?

It would be great to be able to load all music in a RPi and just have it work as a server.

microbmen

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:06 am

Anyone on this?

Soundtouch seems to crash the minidlna process on the rpi as soon as you access it.
Wish I could figure this one out.

Return to “Media centres”