DT's

Streaming live TV from Satelite set top boxes

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi I need some help.

I have a four bedroom house, with a TV in three, One for my son, One in the master BR and one in the Guest room. Then a primary in the TV room.
I am wondering if it would be possible to use XBMC through RaspBMC to stream live video content from my satelite set top box to the different TV's in the house using three Pi and using XBMC as the media interface?

Any assistance will help!
Thanks

masterluke

Re: Streaming live TV from Satelite set top boxes

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:21 am

What satellite box do you have?
I am guessing the satellite dish is cabled to your single stb with no other satellite cabling in place?
Do you have another pc or media box close to the satellite box?

DT's

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:41 am

HI Thanks for the reply.

I am South African - using a Dstv HD pvr (HD PVR (4 tuner) was the initial HD decoder, it’s was manufactured by Altech UEC and Pace. It allows the viewer to view one channel while recording an additional two channels.)

On the question of other satelite cabling. My current set up is a 4 channel LNB that feeds 2 decoders, the above mentioned 4 tuner through a 6 way switch and a 2 tuner unit that is set up in the master bedroom.
Currently there is no PC or media box close. I can set one up though, I was tinkering with the idea of placing a Apple Mac mini in the cabinet next to it - but then stubmpled onto the Pi and am thinking of rather using this?
I am after better suggestions and thus my questions on the forum.

Thanks again
Devon

masterluke

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:19 pm

Personally I would be looking at setting up a cheap low spec pc with dvb-s(2?) cards in running tvheadend. I know people have used usb dvb-s cards on Pi's, but personally I would use a regular pc as the server, and let Pi's running xbmc sit in each room handling the user experience. The Pi's could work over wifi (if you just watch sd broadcasting) or ethernet (powerline if cabling isn't in place) if you require hd.

DT's

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Great. That gives me a a much better idea of where I should be heading.
Stupid question:
How do I then get the Pi's in the various rooms to recieve the broadcast from tvheadend? Will i need anything else to install other than Raspbmc?
Thanks again!

masterluke

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Tvheadend client is included with raspbmc and openelec so its up to you which distro you use on the Pi's. It should be as simple as configuring the tvheadend plugin in xbmc to point at your tvheadend server. I have used Ubuntu+tvheadend as a server and xbmc (on PC) successfully in the past, but I haven't used the tvheadend client on the Pi before so I'm not sure how it performs. If you read on the raspbmc forums there is loads of info if you search by "tvheadend". Good luck!

CliveConlon

Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:32 am

Hello Devon

Could you manage with this and what did you eventually use? I am considering the same/similar application with my DStv Explora. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
RasPi 2 Model: B

Return to “Media centres”