eltimablo

Wayland + XBMC?

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:21 am

I saw that there's a version of XBMC that runs on Wayland, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is it just not available yet, or is there somewhere I can clone it from?

Edit to add my rationale: This board has a fantastic GPU, and after playing around with Wayland a bit today I feel like XBMC would run like a dream on top of Weston. Am I wrong about this?

masterluke

Re: Wayland + XBMC?

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:16 pm

XBMC already has a gpu assisted gui so I wouldn't be holding out for any massive improvements if I were you. The limitations are more to do with IO and processor.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:52 pm

What MasterLuke said. XBMC already uses the HW acceleration (it uses dispmanx - Dom does a lot of work on XBMC I believe) which is why is actually pretty damn fast on a Raspi. Its the backend stuff (ethernet etc) that slows it down in my experience, although not enough to be a problem.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

runeks

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:42 pm

jamesh wrote:What MasterLuke said. XBMC already uses the HW acceleration (it uses dispmanx - Dom does a lot of work on XBMC I believe) which is why is actually pretty damn fast on a Raspi. Its the backend stuff (ethernet etc) that slows it down in my experience, although not enough to be a problem.
It's definitely not just IO that slows down the Pi with XBMC.

One example is playing a video, and pressing escape, so that the menu shows while the video is playing in the background. While the video plays totally smooth when it's just video, showing the menu overlaid the video makes video playback choppy.

I suspect this is the case because the Pi's capabilities aren't used fully. I suspect this is because XBMC just gets a GL surface via DispManX to paint onto what it needs to, instead of acquiring separate surfaces in DispManX for the video and the menu. But I admit I really don't know if this is the case.

That being said, running XBMC in Weston should make no difference. It's how XBMC uses DispManX that should make the difference, and this is independent of whether it's running in a VT or in Weston.

vmi

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:53 am

My system does not suffer any delay, even under the circumstances described above. However, I am running a recent version of Openelec, in order for xbmc/cmyth PVR to talk with a MythTv backend protocol 77. Pi is directly wired via ethernet to router. The mythtv backend via ethernet over power line.

OpenELEC (Milhouse) Version: devel-20140124144843-r17131-g0f6c504
OpenELEC git: 0f6c50478fb50ff9e53d4a0f483879a497d89ef6

Steve.

Return to “Media centres”