Kushan

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Sun May 06, 2012 10:31 am

nugget said:

Thanks Marshcroft for sharing the images. I've tried two different versions though and both freeze within ten seconds of booting to the OpenELEC main screen. Is anybody else having this problem? Tried with two different branded 2GB SD cards but it makes no difference.

I also tried building my own image but aborted after several hours worth of failed host connections.

The latest image works fine for me, no issues booting at all – and this is on a Class 10 card! (not tried playing any videos though).

Thanks to marshcroft for the image!

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun May 06, 2012 11:02 am

nugget said:

Thanks Marshcroft for sharing the images. I've tried two different versions though and both freeze within ten seconds of booting to the OpenELEC main screen. Is anybody else having this problem? Tried with two different branded 2GB SD cards but it makes no difference.

Just tried Marshcroft's build and it looks good to me. Videos play fine.

I'd guess the freezing is power supply related, provoked by 3D hardware being enabled for the XBMC UI. Can you try swapping USB power supply *and* usb power lead.

nugget

Sun May 06, 2012 11:28 am

dom said:

nugget said:

Just tried Marshcroft's build and it looks good to me. Videos play fine.

I'd guess the freezing is power supply related, provoked by 3D hardware being enabled for the XBMC UI. Can you try swapping USB power supply *and* usb power lead.

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. I never thought of the PSU because Debian is quite stable, but Debian isn't using 3D acceleration so that may be why. I'll try and find another PSU/cable to test and will update this post with the result.

masterluke

Sun May 06, 2012 11:40 am

nugget said:

I also tried building my own image but aborted after several hours worth of failed host connections.

I would check that your pi is getting enough power from USB and try a different SD card.

EDIT - should have read the post above first

dom

Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 pm

@marshcroft your cmdline.txt is wrong. It looks like:

sudo echo "dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/ram0 rdinit=/init boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet" > /media/System/cmdline.txt

Doesn't seeem to be causing a problem...

marshcroft

Sun May 06, 2012 2:53 pm

dom said:

@marshcroft your cmdline.txt is wrong. It looks like:

sudo echo "dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/ram0 rdinit=/init boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet" > /media/System/cmdline.txt

Doesn't seeem to be causing a problem...

Thanks Dom,

Could you post what the updated cmdline.txt is and I will rebuild it, I searched through the forum and on openelec but couldnt find it, also my previous image also has the same cmdline.txt as above.

dom

Sun May 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Well it shouldn't have the "sudo echo" at the start! That should have been typed into build machine.

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/ram0 rdinit=/init boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet

looks better.

@sraue I think your "part2" instructions should be clarified. And

sudo echo "blah" > foo

doesn't actually work (the pipe won't have sudo privileges).

sraue

Sun May 06, 2012 3:06 pm

marshcroft said:

Thanks Dom,

Could you post what the updated cmdline.txt is and I will rebuild it, I searched through the forum and on openelec but couldnt find it, also my previous image also has the same cmdline.txt as above.

http://elinux.org/RPi_building.....g_OpenELEC

or

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index......spberry_PI

login via ssh to the Raspi:

mount -o remount,rw /flashecho "boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet" > /flash/cmdline.txtreboot

sraue

Sun May 06, 2012 3:12 pm

dom said:

@sraue I think your "part2" instructions should be clarified. And

sudo echo "blah" > foo

doesn"t actually work (the pipe won"t have sudo privileges).

hmmm on Fedora here it works

marshcroft

Sun May 06, 2012 3:16 pm

I see the obvious point on the cmdline.txt having the sudo echo in there doesnt exactly help anyone.

From both posts which would be the correct or better way forward?

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet

or

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/ram0 rdinit=/init boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet

sraue

Sun May 06, 2012 3:20 pm

marshcroft said:

I see the obvious point on the cmdline.txt having the sudo echo in there doesnt exactly help anyone.

From both posts which would be the correct or better way forward?

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet

or

the static part "dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/ram0 rdinit=/init" which is mandority for OpenELEC and should never changed i have embedded in the kernel configuration, so only the part the user can change depended on the config he want is needed in cmdline.txt

marshcroft

Sun May 06, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks Sraue,

Making the change now and will upload the image and also edit the previous comment to point to the correct build also.

marshcroft

Sun May 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Updated R10855 Build image with the correct cmdline.txt

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/593216.....-10855.zip

(Built on a 2GB Flash)

Smartybones

Sun May 06, 2012 6:46 pm

I have been playing around with openELEC builds for the RPi and I have had a series of good results. Each build I have compiled has been working and I cant find any obvious bugs or anything that needs urgent attention.

What does bother me is that while compiling i get the odd warning thrown in the mix, nothing that stops the end result from working, but Its stuff that maybe shouldn’t be happening...

for example

build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/Python-2.7.3/Modules/_collectionsmodule.c:707:9: warning: variable ‘rv’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]

I have all the build tools installed correctly, but I cant help think I am missing something because there are a few tools missing from the final build, for example, if I ssh into openELEC there is no text editor, but according to the wiki pages nano is supposed to be there!, I want to be able to ssh into it and make changes to things like samba.conf so I can have the samba shares read only...

any thoughts anyone?

Slurpgeit

Sun May 06, 2012 8:38 pm

There is a text editor. It's called VI and it's a monster. I'm not sure the sources include an ARM version of nano.

Simon H

Sun May 06, 2012 9:20 pm

I have put the latest release r10870 kernel and system files here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1h1b6erhppnt ... 70.tar.bz2

This is not an image but you can use the files in the target folder to update your current system using the network share method mentioned earlier in the thread or just copying them to your SD cards system partition.

Hansel

Sun May 06, 2012 9:35 pm

I have been playing around with openELEC builds for the RPi and I have had a series of good results. Each build I have compiled has been working and I cant find any obvious bugs or anything that needs urgent attention.

I"ve definitely come across a fair few bugs, I"m just not sure how to reproduce them reliably just yet.

Quite often I"ll lose all backgrounds (just goes black) and or thumbnails for episodes/covers.

Reboot and shutdown don"t work (although someone earlier mentioned it works for them)

Quite a few freezes (not super surprising as quite often its using 100% CPU). I *think* I can reproduce a freeze by opening my TV show list, bring up the info for a show and then go to choose fan art. It tends to freeze bringing up the browse window.

When starting a movie/show the audio will be ahead of the video and the video will sort of double time until it catches up.

Also when watching a movie/show, bringing up the menu causes the media to stutter until the menu is closed.

Hansel

Mon May 07, 2012 12:57 am

Simon H said:

This is not an image but you can use the files in the target folder to update your current system using the network share method mentioned earlier in the thread or just copying them to your SD cards system partition.

Hi mate,

That only contains the SYSTEM file for some reason, here"s the full thing:

r10870

Hansel

Mon May 07, 2012 3:22 am

Right, maybe avoid 10870 for now.

Unless I did something terribly wrong during the build (which I doubt, as I did exactly what I've done every other time), there are some serious problems with this version.   It would rarely boot, and on the times it did it would freeze almost straight away.

I notice there are some Pi specific changes to the kernel in this version, but I'm not sure they're too healthy.

I've rolled back to 10842 and it's fine again..

Can anyone else confirm they're seeing this?

Ta

Simon H

Mon May 07, 2012 5:53 am

Hansel said:

Simon H said:

Hi mate,

r10870

It has got the system & kernel in the "target" folder, not sure where you are looking?

Simon H

Mon May 07, 2012 5:54 am

Hansel said:

Right, maybe avoid 10870 for now.

Unless I did something terribly wrong during the build (which I doubt, as I did exactly what I've done every other time), there are some serious problems with this version.   It would rarely boot, and on the times it did it would freeze almost straight away.

I notice there are some Pi specific changes to the kernel in this version, but I'm not sure they're too healthy.

I've rolled back to 10842 and it's fine again..

Can anyone else confirm they're seeing this?

Ta

I used it last night to watch a program and a film without any problems.

artesea

Mon May 07, 2012 5:58 am

I"ve managed to download and copy the image of 10842 to SD.
Pluging in to my Pi boots fine, but when XBMC launches I"m left running in the top left quarter of my TV.
I"m using an RCA cable to an old CRT 22" which makes it nearly impossible to read any of the text.
Is there a setting menu I can change, or a text file on the SD Card which could be tweaked? If it"s something in a menu, I could really do with a screenshot walkthrough.

Hansel

Mon May 07, 2012 6:18 am

Simon H said:

Hansel said:

Simon H said:

Hi mate,

r10870

It has got the system & kernel in the "target" folder, not sure where you are looking?

Weird, I can only see the SYSTEM file and nothing else.   Ah well.

EDIT:  Grabbed it again and it's fine.  Weird.   I might try loading yours, see if it's any better.   If it's still weird then I guess I have a bigger problem.

Simon H

Mon May 07, 2012 7:05 am

Simon H said:

Hansel said:

Simon H said:

Hi mate,

r10870

EDIT:  Grabbed it again and it"s fine.  Weird.   I might try loading yours, see if it"s any better.   If it"s still weird then I guess I have a bigger problem.

Strange you only had part of the archive maybe something went wrong extracting it. It was generated by the build and tried it on my system first so knew it was intact.
These builds are not intended as releases just provided incase anyone wants to try the latest but doesn"t have the facility to build themselves.

I will be building regularly if anyone wants me to provide them on here please let me know. Stephan will let us know when a major update has been done I am sure.

Simon H

Mon May 07, 2012 7:05 am

Simon H said:

Hansel said:

Simon H said:

Hi mate,

r10870

EDIT:  Grabbed it again and it"s fine.  Weird.   I might try loading yours, see if it"s any better.   If it"s still weird then I guess I have a bigger problem.

Strange you only had part of the archive maybe something went wrong extracting it. It was generated by the build and tried it on my system first so knew it was intact.
These builds are not intended as releases just provided incase anyone wants to try the latest but doesn"t have the facility to build themselves.

I will be building regularly if anyone wants me to provide them on here please let me know. Stephan will let us know when a major update has been done I am sure.

Return to “Media centres”