clausmuus

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi,

now I fond the time to compile xbmc. During this I have detect a view problems.
I must add two patches to make it compile able (tested with the version of Jul 11). Here are the patches:
http://www.minidvblinux.de/svn-3/xbmc.p ... .patch.arm
http://www.minidvblinux.de/svn-3/xbmc.p ... .patch.arm
At the moment I have start a new compile run with the newest version of Jul 20. I will give you feedback about this version later.

Claus
Last edited by clausmuus on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MLD - a distribution also for the Raspberry-Pi

ntadej

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Are you compiling directly on Pi? I currently don't require any additional fixes (other than already in git) but I have updated to latest version today and not yet finished crosscompiling. I'll push any fix that I also require.

clausmuus

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi,
I have compiled with the version of the Jul 11. Now I have started a new compile run with the latest version. I will give you today evening more feedback if the compile don't brake.
I compile native on a qemu system.
Do you use the same configure options then I (I have posted them before)?

Claus

ntadej

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:12 pm

I use default options from Pi tools/rbp/depends/xbmc/Makefile.

I crosscompile from Ubuntu with raspbian chroot as buildroot/sdkstage (I now moved to raspbian and hardfp). I'll post required makefile and other changes for raspbian soon (when I finish building).

clausmuus

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Also the actual version is compile able (with my both patches.) Now it's linking (since yesterday evening).
I also plan to switch to raspian as develop system. I must only find the time to set up such a develop system.

Claus

ntadej

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Now I'm trying to create a scratchbox based environment for raspbian as method described in this thread didn't work. I'm expected to finally receive my Pi this week so I hope I'll have working environment ready :)

clausmuus

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi,

now the make is complete. It's need two days on a 2GHz system in qemu and a 1GB swap ramfs file.
At the moment it will not run on my rpi system because there are missing some dependencies. I will give you more feedback if I have fix this (today evening).

Claus

mmhere

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:50 pm

I grabbed Raspian "pisces" (image name "rpi_pisces_r3.zip") and installed it, then i followed the detailed online instructions for getting and compiling XBMC ** on the Raspberry Pi itself **. the overnight compilation too about 12 hours, but XBMC 12.* is running great on the Pi right now.

i even installed the youtube 'application' (or helper or whatever it is called) within XBMC and am now flawlessly running youtube videos as well as videos copied to the SD card, or streamed locally over ethernet.

my image was resized in situ to take advantage of the full size of my 32GB SD card.

so my question is -- would it be useful to anyone if i dd'd this card image to a zip-compressed image and uploaded it?

since it is resized currently to 32GB, you'd need a card of such size to unpack and use it. the compressed size of the zip file, however, should be far smaller than 32GB, since most of the disk space is not yet used and will be all zeros.

i imagine i could create the image by piping dd thru zip or gzip or whatever, in an hour or two.

the question is, where could i upload it if anyone might find it useful?

p.s. XBMC's System Info panel (sub panel Summary infomartion) reports:

XBMC 12.0-APHA4 Git:20120707-9e56f42
(Compiled: Jul 15 2012)

mmhere

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:58 pm

I have an XBMC plus Raspbian "pisces" that is running very well. If I wanted to pack up a card image and upload it (would this be useful?) where should I do this?

I grabbed Raspian Pisces, installed the image, and resized it to fill my 32GB SD card.

I added some typical utilities such as gvim, RCS, all of the X11 apps and utils so i had a workable Debian Linux baseline.

I grabbed XBMC sources and build utils based upon the very detailed install instructions found online (sorry, can't recall exactly where), and i built XBMC on the Pi running Raspbian Pisces itself -- i wanted it to find all of the exact system features it needed to configure and compile itself in the best way possible.

So now if i go to XBMC's "System Info / Summary Information" panel, and i see:

XBMC 12.0-ALPHA4 Git:20120707-9e56f42

The compilation time reflects the evening i built it, where it took about 12hours total on the Pi itself. That was a long wait.

but now it runs great!

i even added in the Youtube adapter, which is working flawlessly.

-- MMHere

clausmuus

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:01 am

Hi,
now I also have the xbmc running on my RPI (I have only checkt if it's starts for now). My only problem is at the moment that the default color depth of the xorg is 16Bit, and xbmc only runs on 24Bit. I must see what is the reason for this and set the default color depth to 24Bit.
I think, I can provide a running xbmc+VDR MLD image the next days.
Thank you ntadej for your grate work so far

Claus

ntadej

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:10 am

Nice to hear that XBMC runs. So are PVR functions working? I haven't really changed a lot just enabled it to build. Some features may not work properly (or it may fall back to non-hardware playback).

mikfaina

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:41 pm

mmhere wrote:I have an XBMC plus Raspbian "pisces" that is running very well. If I wanted to pack up a card image and upload it (would this be useful?) where should I do this?

I grabbed Raspian Pisces, installed the image, and resized it to fill my 32GB SD card.

I added some typical utilities such as gvim, RCS, all of the X11 apps and utils so i had a workable Debian Linux baseline.

I grabbed XBMC sources and build utils based upon the very detailed install instructions found online (sorry, can't recall exactly where), and i built XBMC on the Pi running Raspbian Pisces itself -- i wanted it to find all of the exact system features it needed to configure and compile itself in the best way possible.

So now if i go to XBMC's "System Info / Summary Information" panel, and i see:

XBMC 12.0-ALPHA4 Git:20120707-9e56f42

The compilation time reflects the evening i built it, where it took about 12hours total on the Pi itself. That was a long wait.

but now it runs great!

i even added in the Youtube adapter, which is working flawlessly.

-- MMHere
Can you search where you found detailed instructions to compile xbmc and which tools to use please?

J3NOVA

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:21 am

Hi, new looker onto the R-Pi, wanting to build for a Media Center using XBMC.
just a few questions,
What is the decoding/encoding like to be able to stream full 1080 movie files over a network like? is it stable and smooth? what about buffering (being able to fast forward and rewind?) my network is a full cat6 cable network running off a fully managed gigabit switch.
Is the audio full 5.1 dts capable?
How secure is the unit for just running XBMC? what is the likelyhood of it crashing and needing reprogramming? as i am totally horrible at programming, im essentually looking for a cheaper alternative to running a pc, and this seems like the way to go, providing it can answer my queries.

Thanks

ntadej

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:09 pm

I suggest you search the forum in other threads. This is for building XBMC from source.

I've managed to build XBMC with PVR against raspbian and will post instructions next week, when I have the chance to test it (Pi finally arriving!!).

columgaynor1

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:50 pm

:
clip
:
so my question is -- would it be useful to anyone if i dd'd this card image to a zip-compressed image and uploaded it?

since it is resized currently to 32GB, you'd need a card of such size to unpack and use it. the compressed size of the zip file, however, should be far smaller than 32GB, since most of the disk space is not yet used and will be all zeros.

i imagine i could create the image by piping dd thru zip or gzip or whatever, in an hour or two.

:
clip
:

CG: You bet! I would be VERY INTERESTED to try your XBMC image, if you find a place to upload it. :D Best Regards Colum

xazz

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:28 pm

columgaynor1 wrote:
:
clip
:

:
clip
:

CG: You bet! I would be VERY INTERESTED to try your XBMC image, if you find a place to upload it. :D Best Regards Colum
Second that :) Very interested.

suchnerd

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:50 pm

I tried the procedure as described on page 9 and the page https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IT1 ... 6vhu0/edit is this still the best current way of installing XBMC in the Pi Debian build?

I get the following error message when I try to run it: /opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libshairport.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any ideas?

Minz0r

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:36 am

Hi pvrlers,

I am using xbmc-pvr for years, had my on gentoo based squashfs setup and than
switched to Openelec as this is fairly the same that i had ;)
I recently switched from vdr to to the tvheadend plugin as xvdr was maintained very well.
Which plugin is the best to use these days?

I really would like to test your xbmc-pvr builds is there a Way to get an Image of your build?
Have you libcec included?

regards

ntadej

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 pm

Unfortunately there is a delay with my Raspberry Pi shipment. I will not provide any builds until I test and complete the port.

mcgyver83

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:25 pm

News about compiling XBMC with check and PVR for the raspberry?

Return to “Media centres”