mack1970dude

Absolute beginner Pi media system

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:51 am

Good day to one and alll!
Firstly, apologies if my questions have been asked and answered, I have looked, but probably didn't understand!

As the title suggests, I am looking for a pi to use as a media player.... But I am getting confused by the variations available....

I have seen a Pi XBMC starter kit
(Model B 512 MB board, 4gb sd card Raspbmc pre loaded, WiPi dongle, plus power supply)
My questions are
i) will this require any excessive set up or is it idiot proof?
ii) will I be able to use this to browse internet?
I am not specifically techie minded but can handle minor tasks, but hacking or programming isn't my thing!
Any help or advice GLADLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance.....

malakai

Re: Absolute beginner Pi media system

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:16 pm

mack1970dude wrote:Good day to one and alll!
Firstly, apologies if my questions have been asked and answered, I have looked, but probably didn't understand!

As the title suggests, I am looking for a pi to use as a media player.... But I am getting confused by the variations available....

I have seen a Pi XBMC starter kit
(Model B 512 MB board, 4gb sd card Raspbmc pre loaded, WiPi dongle, plus power supply)
My questions are
I am not specifically techie minded but can handle minor tasks, but hacking or programming isn't my thing!
Any help or advice GLADLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance.....

Typically the card should ship and boot but there are rare and unfortunate times where it just won't work and you'll have to start from scratch with the card.

Raspbmc not really easy to get out of to browse the net. XBMC has on built in browser that I am aware of. The theory is there but it can be more work than just getting a second pi :) wink wink or setting up a secondary SD Card

Setting up an image is really painless you don't need any programming or hacking. Tiny learning curve for some but it only is complicated by fear. 1. get image 2. unzip image if needed 3. copy files to SD Card 4. insert card and boot Pi follow instructions and don't be in a big hurry. It really can be that easy
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

Return to “Media centres”