Pygar

Limits of RaspBMC, and Building a Media Panel...

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm thinking seriously about the recent Instructables about turning a laptop screen into a Pi-based media panel, with Raspbmc. But while changing out OS'es in Pi is not too difficult or time consuming, it would be nice if I could also use the Pi for light surfing (there are times you just *gotta* Google something, am I right?), ebook reading, and cbr's and cbz's. And it would be very very nice indeed if I could turn a 16-by-10 screen on its side for ebook and text work, without much hassle about going back and forth...

But my research into Raspbmc has just begun- I know it is used for "popular media formats" but don't know where a current list is, so I can't see if epubs and mobis, for example, are available. I am not expecting Raspbmc to run anything full-out like calibre, but simply reading a text file can't be that much harder than displaying Hollywood's finest, can it? And I don't know if it even has a browser like Firefox, or for that matter like Lynx (!), even though it supposedly can update itself over the Net and so the two can't be total strangers...

Anyhoo, if anyone out there has any useful information, I'd appreciate hearing from you!
"Mean kitty, bad kitty
Vicious ball of fur!
Fighty kitty, bitey kitty!
Grrr! Grrr! Grrr!"

LienRag

Re: Limits of RaspBMC, and Building a Media Panel...

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:43 am

Have you found any way to read cbr and cbz files on the Pi?

DirkS

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:36 pm

LienRag wrote:Have you found any way to read cbr and cbz files on the Pi?
From http://kodi.wiki/view/Pictures#Comics:
CBZ and CBR are comic book archive files, they are pictures/image stored in CBZ (a renamed ZIP-archive) or CBR (a renamed RAR-archive) format. CBZ and CBR comic book archives are automatically parsed by XBMC (as long as the image-format is supported) so that you can view/read, browse and zoom the pictures it contains.
So I would assume that Raspbmc ant other XBMC / Kodi implementations can do that too.

LienRag

Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:53 pm

OK, thanks.
I never used Kodi, do I need to burn a specific SD for it or can it run on Raspbian?
Or is there another cbr/cbz reader on Raspbian?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:10 pm

LienRag wrote:OK, thanks.
I never used Kodi, do I need to burn a specific SD for it or can it run on Raspbian?
Or is there another cbr/cbz reader on Raspbian?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=99866
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Return to “Media centres”